PL3 does not read lens sharpness correctly

I had some time this weekend and looked at this again. Also updated to the latest version.

Here is what happens, at least with my Leicas: when I click on a thumbnail in the browser, the image appears in the main windows. For a split second, that image is in focus. Then it seems to click out of focus and becomes soft. This happens even with all of the “blue switches” turned off. Changing the Color Rendering from generic to camera body doesn’t change anything.

In my dim memory I seem to think this is a switch these applications make from the jpeg camera preview to the actual raw file, but I could be wrong.

I went back to last year’s files and tried a few taken with my Nikon D5. Same thing.

Certainly I can get these files sharp in PL3, as with any other raw convertor. But that is happening after the file is converted from raw. I believe what is missing here in PL3 is basic sharpening in the raw conversion, and that is troubling. As stated previously, I have tried these same images with Lightroom, Photoshop, Capture One 12, darkroom, On 1, Raw Power, and Iridient. Not an issue in any of these.

Interesting, i converted to dxo pl because of the instand improvement of my old fz200 raw files and my G80’s comming from a panasonic brand related software. (which should be optimised in producing good instant image.)

I find the optical module quite good in default. Maybe i don’t tried manual adjustment properly but i never had the feeling i needed to.

Did have a earlier photolab? And does that the same?

sorry misunderstood

2 Likes

Picman - I think davidheintz was writing about himself and not you:)

2 Likes

Yes, reacted too quickly, sent apology.

knip is already sorted out :slight_smile:

About the preview sharpness, DxO has a preview which kick’s in in “real” rendering at and above 75% in order to gain refreshing speed.
The best way to see preview sharpness is at 100%
( Don’t imply you didn’t know or tried )

2 Likes

OXiDant Peter, thanks for your reply. I understand it, however why are several others such as C1 able to have sharp previews and similar refreshing speed? I really think PL is missing out here, they could be the best but unfortunately the preview situation ruins that for them. Nevertheless I am a loyal customer for many years. But after having done some things in PL (what is depending on the picture) I will always take the resulting tiff file to C1 to finish things off.

Your not the only one on this forum having a problem with the accuracy and refreshingspeed of DxO. See this example and i think if we search there are more.

What i am interested in is how compare the Exported tiff’s and jpegs?
i know by manual sharpening you need a good and acurate preview and hopefully not need to wait after every adjustment.
As i recal correct i think i read somewhere that some DxO Staff member did explain why preview behaves as it does.
And i read on the forum that pl3 vs pl2 is more responsive so they try to do something about it.

So you do the final sharpening in C1? Is that also about the export posibilities in the sharpeningdepartment? (i remember that others liked to have more export settings for this kind of things)

patient is i think the key to see DxO sort this out.

Peter

Hi Peter, I do not think there is a noticeable difference in the exported tiff’s and jpg’s. I tried with a few pictures and could not see a difference in sharpness. Of course the parameters to output are not completely the same for PL and C1, but I did try to match them. Actually I hardly ever apply sharpening of any kind on output. Of course each program will have some automatic sharpening I guess but I do not manually intervene in that area. The main reason for going back to C1 basically is to be certain that things are OK in the sharpness department, because DxO does not give me the required confidence when looking at the preview. Going to more than 75% or even 100% is awkward too. Having said all this there is a lot of good stuff in PL, better than in C1: noise reduction, local adjustments and the clone tool. Will be patient :slight_smile:

Bob.

understood.
i had to get used to the fact that ca is real visible until you go1:1.
same as applying clearview/ microsharpening i like to see it as hole image and just zooming in on parts i think it needs. And the preview quality jumping back and forward is distracting.
So learned to do exports to judge and go from there if i am manual adjusting sharpness and can.t see what i am doing.
i know that only at 100% you see the aplied sharpnening as you working on it but as like you i like to see it’s result as a hole. (That’s why i would like a toggle mode to fullscreen in full rendered sharpend image)

2 Likes

The version fixing this issue (3.0.2) has been released, so everything should now be back in order. Thanks for the help with the various reports!

6 Likes

Beautiful !

Thank you so much! :+1:t2:

What happened? I thought I had this down with the “Tab-Tab” fix, then I updated to 3.02. Now it clicks back to a fuzzy image, and the Tab-Tab does not work either!!!

If anyone is having more success than David, please pipe up. I’d like to install the update and try it but not if it’s making matters worse (no sharp preview possible).

It’s fixed for me. Everything is shipshape.

2 Likes

Everything looks fine on my 2019 iMac (27 in 5k monitor) running Mojave. Before the update, I mostly got correct previews and they were always good when I launched DPL in low res mode…

Edit: I never had this issue with DPL 3.0.2 build 24 so far.

Tom,

Do you have a Retina 5k monitor/iMac?

Mac mini (2018) 3.2 GHz Intel Core i7 64 GB, eGPU Radeon Pro 580 8 GB, LG 4K 23 inch display.

Yes. I think this issue is exclusive to 5k Retina displays…

2 Likes