PL3 does not read lens sharpness correctly

Very good. Thanks.

Still on Mojave.

I could see the issue once in Catalina. But I couldn’t reliably reproduce it. I work nearly exclusively in fullscreen. Meanwhile I uninstalled PL1. I will keep my eyes open to notice the issue, though.

We have had numerous reports of such an issue, and we’re looking into it.
Stay tuned!

After a bit of investigation, we have found the issue and fixed it.

This was a rendering issue of the viewer, and only happening on retina screens. What’s happening is that when displaying an image initially, the scale of the screen (retina or not) is not taken into account, so you would see the non-retina image. As soon as you change the size of the image viewer, this would resize and take it into account properly, thus displaying the retina version.
Until we release the fix, the only workaround I can see is making a slight resize (this can be done with the window, or just pressing Tab twice to mask and show the palettes on the sides).

This also means that the lens sharpness is still working properly, and not doing weird things. Which is why you would see the proper result when exporting the image.

In any case, we’ll try and release a new version pretty soon, as this is obviously quite annoying.

9 Likes

That’s good news. Thank you.

2 Likes

Tom, thanks for your persistence reporting this hard to track down display bug, @lukaszalexej for duplicating it and thanks to @kettch and DxO for jumping on top of it quickly and getting a fix out (soon) right away.

I have two Retina monitors at this work station and no conventional monitors. Blurry previews would drive photographers to distraction. I did manage to do a set in PhotoLab 3 but struggled with Lens Sharpness and Fine Contrast settings. Now I know why.

2 Likes

Update my posts again:

1. .dng files that I use are actually raw files straight from my Leica M10 and M9
  2. while the OP was about comparing PL2 and PL3, my point (an essential one) is that PL3 is not fit for use as currently implemented. I have many other raw convertors that are…

I have to agree. All other raw convertors I have have considerable sharper previews.

Hello picman,
can you provide some screenshots for comparision?

Thanks

PL versus C1, look at the foliage, look at the vertical pieces in the white railing, look at the masts of the boats.

Look at all the details.

Thanks. There is an obvious difference. Is this just a difference in the preview or also in the output file and what is your set-up

To compare two RAW converters is always difficult. Even “uncorrected” will differ significantly. The issue discussed here is that the preview of DxO does not match the sharpness of the output. Is this the case for you or is even the processed output from DxO less sharp than what you can achieve with C1? Then you should open another thread for this specific issue.

2 Likes

C1_3|690x327

jpeg outputs at same settings from PL and C1! This is a small crop.

Discard this error in upload

Start a new topic and provide a link to the RAW file.

The last pair was a duplicate picture where nothing was done to it, neither in C1 nor in PL. I just did the standard output in both cases, hope I did nothing to skew the result.

In spite of what I sent up to now I do not think there is a meaningful difference in the jpg output files. I’ve carefully tried to make the output parameters of both C1 and PL equivalent, redid the test with several pictures and I see very little difference as far as sharpness is concerned. So I do think it is mainly an issue of previews.