Nitro for MacOS

Here is a review by Andy Hutchinson Nitro for Mac - Aperture or Craperture?

I think that review partly sucks, heā€™s riding a long trip on some quirks repeating over and over whatā€™s not good in his eyes, not mentioning what it sets apart from Capture One and Photolab. He stated to have played a month with Nitro, I doubt that. He was too busy with taking photos of same same subjects over and over again. He hasnā€™t even discovered the weirdness of Nitroā€™s crop and perspective tool i.e. :grin: Incomplete and mostly more negative than the app really is.

I donā€™t plan to use Nitro as a fully featured replacement for either app ā€“ I was just happy to be able to use my Aperture libs with not much transit work (the results of ā€œopening an Aperture libā€ in Capture One were mindblowingly bad). And most of this transit works is needed because Photos is such a poor app. Compared to Photos, Nitro is a massive progress for Apple users but by far not free of flaws.

Some of its limitations (not working with more than 1 Photos library at a time, lack of lens corrections, AI masking rather disappointing) come from Apple, not from Nitro. Take C1 and PL: How many years of development ā€“ and you canā€™t even search for album names in their DAM part! Nik Bhattā€™s mail support is great compared to what C1 and DxO deliver.

He criticises the poor manual and is correct. But in regard of manuals, C1 and PL also donā€™t shine and have plenty of gaps and false explanations in theirs. Ok, once one finds this forum some questions are answered here better and quicker than from C1 or DxO support, but have you tried out Nitroā€™s forum? Small, but also efficient although itā€™s more a ā€œuser ask, dev repliesā€ forum.

In fairness, I recall he said the app has promise and that he expected future versions would be much better.

Yes, and he also said some things like ā€œpotentialā€. To me, the positive aspects of Nitro were underrated by him, also I didnā€™t like his grumpy tone too much. I like to see Nitro becoming a success but I also canā€™t close my eyes to the functions where itā€™s just ā€œnot thereā€. My reality is, no other RAW converter is "there where I like to have it, shortcomings everywhere. I hope Nik will be able to even out some of them.

I bought my license just one month ago, he said itā€™s existing since September 2023 (or I might have misheard?). How does that fit to the Ā© 2024 one can see in app store?

He also states ā€œevery good feature has an equally annoying drawbackā€ and ā€œa long way to go until it gets my recommendationā€. This part in particular put me off.

Then I also saw heā€™s doing bracketing of X-T4 RAWs. If somebody is that insecure about exposure, he also has a long way to go until his photography gets my recommendation. :grin: To me, he isnā€™t the app reviewer I trust, as he ā€œforgotā€ some parts, but thatā€™s because I care about them and did fiddle around with.

thatā€™s the thing with youtube(r), you have to let go a lot of what people think and saying.

Nitro has something for sure, but itā€™s only a one man show, not a company, all on his shoulder.

For now, I appreciate Nikā€™s effort. The DAM part is already way better than PLā€™s (and C1ā€™s) ever will be. Iridient is also a one man show and still existing. Iā€™m not super-confident for ā€œit will mature over some yearsā€ but Iā€™m willing to support it.

1 Like