New machine + New PL but slow

I haven’t had any issues w/ performance on PL5 (with the expected exception of output processing time when using DeepPRIME).

If your PL5 database is on an external spinning drive, that could be slowing PL5 down. DxO support may have better suggestions.

1 Like

But i have 32 gigs of fast RAM (3600MHZ) and even there is bloatware - it is occupying about 4 gigs, including OS, Anti virus, and more utilities. i am left with about 28 gigs … its huge amount
also, when monitoring at edit time’ memory is never the issue. the only thing that works realy hard is the CPU…
Thanks

Database… where does it live ? there are no setting which i can choose its location
PL doesn’t have a cataloged so i presumed that database will not need too much attention…
was i wrong ?

Hi,

I have probably one of the slowest configuration of all the forum members (q9650 intel, gpu with 500 mo memory, 8 go) and i don’t have as slow rendering as you have.
Just for avoidance of doubt, you are not talking about exports, just rendering on the screen ? What about your export times in hq and deep ?
exports times for PL are much longer than competitors on my machine, and i wish i could have 15s export times !

1 Like

The database is located at %appdata%\DxO\DxO PhotoLab 5\Database (PL5 does have a catalog where image ‘developing’ information is stored, and it also uses .dop sidecar files for ‘developing’ information. You can configure how this is handled.)
If the database is on your system drive then that’s likely not your issue. Again, DxO support is likely to have better ideas for a solution than I do.

1 Like

Did you tell us what AV you are using?

Windows Security or a 3rd party?

Ram and Cpu is fine, but if any bloatware is taking a lot of foreground process…???
What is if you don’t start anything; except of the OS :sweat_smile:, and check the performance.
It’s a step for step investigation, and what takes the CPU and with which percentage.
You have heard that a lot of us have older hardware and it works very well. In my opinion it’s your configuration or installation that prevents DXO working with more speed.

i’m talking about adjustments rendering time, while i’m editing
exports can take about a minute per photo

Bitdefender Antivirus, no problems with it.

One minute with hq per picture ?

Greetings,
Thanks for providing the info. I am familiar with Bit Defender. I administer it for 100’s of users in a few orgs.

I have seen it cause performance issues with databases, but not usually catalogs of images. It does have a “Power User” option which allows protection to be temporarily disabled (without uninstall). You can also set exclusions so that certain applications, programs or files are not scanned. It’s highly unlikely it is a problem, but want to be thorough.

As you can see many of us are adding our experiences to try and help. Has there been any response or progress on your ticket opened with support?

I have the same experience, but with an older machine:
Windows 10 Intel core i7-6700 @ 3.4 GHz 16 Gb RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060 6 Gb

Similar issues for the past few months. Just performed recent DXO updates, Photo Lab and Nik, but also Windows and AMD chipset updates
Dramatic speed improvement.

November 22, 2021—KB5007262 (OS Build 22000.348) Preview

Numerous fixes, but speeds the program

• Addresses an issue that affects the performance of all disks (NVMe, SSD, hardisk) on Windows 11 by performing unnecessary actions each time a write operation occurs. This issue occurs only when the NTFS USN journal is enabled. Note, the USN journal is always enabled on the C: disk.

its called “Bitdefender shield” and it lets you pause the AV for a period of time - tried it - it doesn’t seem to improve performance , hence it doesn’t causes performance issues…for me.
Great guys in here!!! i thank you all - no progress yet
it looks like the image size of 45 mega pixel is the problem - when im editing old photos of 24 mp it is smooth and no delays

i have KB5007292 installed it is more recent - is it ok ? or do i have to download KB5007262 ?

Could you share some Z7 files to test?

Nice weekend

these are about 55 mb files - i have no idea how to upload here such a size :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi,
dropbox or any other cloudbased share?

This was part of my standard windows downloads
I had to ask to check however

A minute per photo for DeepPRIME exports isn’t that far off. In that case you’re limited by the GPU. I had a slightly faster GPU previously and DeepPRIME exports were taking about 50 seconds for my Sony A1 files which are 50MP.

Your exports are limited by your video card which is mediocre now. (As a comparison I’m running a laptop with a 3070 GPU now and 50MP exports take about 7-9 seconds per image.)

As far as rendering while editing this never uses DeepPRIME and is based mainly on the performance of the CPU/Memory. On my system edits usually take 1-2 seconds to show. Something seems wrong on your system if edits take so long to show up.