New machine + New PL but slow

I have built a strong machine with
Intel I7 11th Gen
32 GB RAM
4 GB Nvidia 1650
SSD Evo 970 Samsung
+
purchased a licence for PL 5 (im new to PL)

But…
performance is heavy, very heavy.
When i switch to “Customize” it is starting to get heavy and when in local adjustments it is getting heavier the more i add adjustments.
Heavy means i have to wait 15-25 seconds to PL to render the changes.
is it the way you live with PL ?

Hello @refinali ,

You mean that you try to apply any local correction to one image and have to wait for 20 sec to see the result?

If your answer is yes, please get connected with support.dxo.com for the investigation.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

OK i will, Thanks!!

1 Like

Temporarily i’m using an external hard drive (“WD Black”) as my photo library.
Nevertheless as i have already mentioned, my system drive is SSD (M.2)
Could it be that my photo storage (“WD Black”) is slowing down PL 5.1 performance ?
In my opinion, every photo that is being edited is copied to RAM which is fast enough - does it matters ?

@refinali,
Any external hard drive (especially a plattered disk) will be much slower when compared to a SSD. I’m sure you’ll find PL’s performnce dramatically improved using your m.2 over a 7200 RPM drive connected via USB.

I’m not sure you are right in this case…
i have copied some photos to a folder on the ssd and the results are same
i believe that every edited photo is done in RAM - not on HDD

What virus scanner are you using? One user reported that AVAST, I think, was slowing their system as you describe.

Hello @refinali,

You can get a hint of where the bottleneck is by checking the Performance tab of the Task Manager. If you see that your external drive has close to 100% active time, then you’re limited by its speed. On the other side, if you see the same for your CPU, then you’re limited by compute power.

Hi
I’m new to PL5 but not to computers…
Antivirus, power schemes, bottlenecks, HDD-SSD… its all well known for me :blush:
I’m asking for your user experience with PL5
is it fast ? is it slow ? on your machines

In my opinion is fast enough for me for the most work cases
So it’s not slow for me for the most work cases
on my machines a 9 year old i7 with 32 GB Ram and two SSD’s one for operating system, the other one for Picture folder and separate directories for DXO Cache and DXO DB
second machine a MacBook Air M1 8 GB DXO Cache and DB on the same SSD and access to my NAS where the pictures are synchronised from the intel machine.
:grinning: :innocent: :sleeping: :face_with_head_bandage: :sunglasses:

Only having some bottlenecks with browsing folders with the DXO library

All the information above is not very helpful for your bottleneck…but you want it and got it

1 Like

My computer is brand new and is a little monster - i must be doing something wrong with PL5 because it is too slow. other editing software like Capture One, Affinity Photo are running just fine
Thanks!!

Hi rifinali,
I’m running a slightly older system.

Z390, 10th generation processor, 32 Gigs of RAM, RTX 2070 GPU, 960/970 m.2, PLE 5.1

Standard Windows security no third party AV.

When I perform standard image editing, switching to customize and applying changes, the longest I ever have to wait is 1~3 seconds, a blink of an eye. This includes applying recipes. It’s almost imperceptible.

One other question I have, what camera, body and lenses are you using? If supported, do you have the optics modules loaded for your hardware.

Also and this is a long shot. Does your system use or have nahimic audio driver or service installed? This could be a standalone driver or service or included as part of an audio or gaming package.

Support should be able to help you determine why you are experiencing slower than average performance. They are always responsive and helpful

1 Like

i would be happy if response time was a blink of the eye…
I shoot with Nikon Z7 (45 mp photo), Z lenses and all of it is fully supported and handled by PL5

“nahimic audio driver or service” - never heard about…

Thanks

When i’m monitoring computer resources as i run PL5 i notice that everything is very low except the processor … this 11th gen I7 is climbing up to 80% while im working

Did you enable use of the GPU on the Performance tab in Edit\Preferences?

Sure
and also ticked the “open CL” checkbox

You seem very knowledgeable about the hardware, but I have to ask if anything else is running when you start PhotoLab.

I have a 6-year-old I7 Windows machine with 24 gigabytes of RAM and a small SSD drive that just contains the operating system and my programs. My graphics card is a GTX 1050Ti.

Fully rendering images on my computer after edits are applied takes a second or two below 75% zoom and perhaps an additional second or two at, or above, 75% zoom.

When changing ito another image, full rendering time depends on the size of the raw file, the number and type of edits that were applied to the image, and if the zoom level is above or below 75%. As an example, with 25 MB raw files, changing to an image with no edits takes around a second or two to fully render… Changing to an image with a large number of edits, may take 3 seconds.to completely render below 75% zoom, and as much as 7 or 8 seconds to render at 75% zoom or above. This is because certain features in PhotoLab, like Lens sharpness and the Unsharp mask are not applied to the preview below 75% zoom.

Your larger 45 mp raw files, (I’m not sure how many megabytes each raw would be), would certainly take longer to render on my machine. However, in my experience when occasionally editing higher resolution images like yours, it still usually takes less than half the time to fully render compared to what you are seeing on your much newer and faster hardware. Even when I edit something like a 100 megapixel medium format Fuji raw file, rendering on my machine is still faster than what you are seeing. For me the only major issue with a very large image is the significant extra time it takes when I export it with DeepPrime.

Since very few users on this forum seem to be having similar issues to yours it suggests that something on your computer is interacting with PhotoLab to cause the slowdown you are seeing.

Mark

3 Likes

Thank you for detailed information, I get the picture… It is something at my side… optimization or configuring differently.
Did you spent a lot of efforts to optimize your computer ? Or is it strait out of the box?

Over the more than than 6-year period I’ve owned this machine I have tweaked a few things here and there but nothing significant that would have had a material effect on PhotoLab’s processing time.

It was purchased as a general purpose machine for business, personal finances, and other personal uses including image processing. It is too old to be upgradable to Windows 11.

Mark

1 Like

the times Mark wrote in his post are similar to mine.
I have not tweaked anything and my graphic card is an old Anti Radeon passiv one.

What you wrote about your hardware it must be like a rocket.

The most common failure a lot of people do, is to install a lot of bloatware, or tweaking tools.

Check you autostart entries, switch of things you don’t need and start your machine again. Make the first tests only with DXO started and check your task manager.

good luck

Guenter

1 Like