Loupedeck support

Not on Windows, you have to click on the slider before you can change the value with the mouse wheel.
But the hover of the cursor is detected since it changes its appearance a little.
I already talked about it here.

From time to time over the past 10 years, Iā€™ve advocated that PL needs to define itā€™s keyboard and mouse interfaces in a very clear and open way.

This isnā€™t just for the automation geeks or those who want to use tools like a LoupeDeck.

Itā€™s an accessibility issue, and one that may well come back to bite PL in the backside if any regulatory agency group decides to take notice.

2 Likes

Is there one for ā€œRAW converters and midi controllersā€? Just askingā€¦

I fully agree. Iā€™d love to be able to use the keyboard as much as possible for adjustments. And if Loupedeck or similar deviced would be supported it would make PhotoLab much better to be used.

Yes, adding an API or at least Apple Script would be the way to go so that anyone can build external devices for PhotoLab. Thereā€™s lots of geeky people using RAW software who would appreciate the ability to add an external device.

4 Likes

Any news from DXO side? Atleast adding some more keyboard shortcuts for the very common controls would be a middle point. This would let hotkeys be used in third party tools like Loupdeck can still take advantage of some of them.

I only count on the normal interface about 20ish sliders. If we could assign, for example, hotkeys to exposure to be Ctrl + shift + 2 for reduce by 50 and ctrl shift + 3 for increase by 50, you could then map it to tools like this.

3 Likes

PL 4: NO
PL5: NO
PL6: NO
PLx: ā€¦ I donā€™t believe in miracles (any more in that company) ā€¦ sorry for that.
BUT - still open to be convinced to the contrary - maybe for xmas ?! :wink:

4 Likes

Maybe a two-key hotkey would make more sense, than using all combinations of ctrl, shift and alt. Maybe F6+ā€œfunctionā€ makes more sense:

• F6+E for Exposure
  • F6+W for White balance
  • F6+H for Horizon

etc.

Iā€™d really like to have that too.

API would be betterā€¦ could make it OS agnostic then, many of us donā€™t use Apple or like me use both Windows and OSX.

Would even work on this myself if there was an API layer.

1 Like

AI would be fine, but would require active support by manufacturers of such devices. And if they decide, that the DxO user base is too small, they might not implement this. The use of hotkeys has the advantage of being independent of operating system and devices, as long as they are able to send keys.

1 Like

Keyboard shortcuts would be greatā€¦probably more beneficial for me than Loupedeck support. Iā€™ve used a Logitech G13 gaming keyboard for a number of years with the keys programed to make adjustments in Lightroom. Being able to nudge up or down sliders, by a pre determined amount, just by tapping keys is a very fast way of editing. Iā€™ve never used Loupdeck but I canā€™t imagine turning dials would be any quicker.

1 Like

I honestly donā€™t understand why DxO struggles so much with the keyboard shortcuts - even though so many users have been asking for this for years. So many other programs like Photoshop, FastRAWViewer and even freeware like Xn-View offer the possibility to define almost EVERY command as a shortcut.
In my eyes, itā€™s not just a gimmick, but something that would increase the feel and workflow enormously; for some hesitant people maybe even an argument to finally upgrade - or NOT if they donā€™t finally move :thinking:

Happy New Year !
Markus

4 Likes

First, thereā€™s no standard for shortcuts although some are re-appearing but all the ā€œinteresting onesā€ need to be learnt by heart. For every single app you want or need to use. Some of us are very good in learning characters, but altogether itā€™s training ā€œmuscle memoryā€: In which position the fingers of your hands need to be relatively to the keyboard to increase exposure?

Some of us are better in learning these positions, others prefer to know second left knob, when top right button shows a blue icon. And while the shortcuts donā€™t need to be logical or language specific (Colour / Contrast / Copy / Cyan / Curve / Clonebrushā€¦ and soon youā€™re running out of ALT+CMD+SHIFT+CNTRL combinations for C, but in my language only Cyan is written with a C if the translators are big fans of Denglish. In German itā€™s Zyan), the order of the knobs can follow a workflow. Some might find that more intuitive, others less so.

Perhaps I should have said ā€œI canā€™t imagine moving my hands around to turn dials would be any quicker than tapping keys with my left hand, on a dedicated small programable keypad like the G13, whilst also having my right hand on the mouse for other tasksā€. With muscle memory this for me is by far the quickest way to plough through a shoot with a few hundred images. Knowing that a tap of the G4 key will up the exposure by a third at a time, the G11 to reduce by a third, the G5 or G12 to up the whites or blacks by a pre determined aboutā€¦Maybe something like the Loupdeck would be the next fastest option. I donā€™t know, but Iā€™m sure both would certainly be quicker than selecting and dragging sliders with a mouse.

1 Like

Sorry, that bit with the keypad G13 slipped though my attention, as itā€™s a separate keyboard I can imagine someone very familiar with 10 finger system, can be much quicker there

For me, using a different type of standard Apple keyboard, this device would be a nightmare to use and I would constantly need to look at the (rather flimsy) display, trying to decipher some abbreviations and so on. But I also should have been clearer, I had the small Loupedeck Live in mind, not the huge keyboard colossus Loupedeck + fighting with the standard keyboard for space on my desk.

Interestingly, the only Loupedeck user of C1 appears to be in the process of making his food re-appear in any secondā€¦ :roll_eyes: :face_vomiting: but Iā€™m sure, Iā€™m far too stupid to get the highly elaborated advertisement message. Maybe his interpretation of ā€œbreathtakingā€?

Loupedeck has an open SDK. If DXO had an SDK you could make an open source/ community managed integration plugin that transferred LD to PL.

2 Likes

Keyboard shortcuts are fairly universal for external devices and donā€™t lock you into a system like Loupedeck.

Something like a Stream Deck that lets you label the keys and the display switches automatically to correspond with the foreground program are very useful.

4 Likes

I once had a Loupedeck Live here to try out. Basically, itā€™s also possible to label keys, I also drawed some icons for them. But language support was rather lousy at the time and Iā€™m sorry, this world is not an ā€œEnglish-onlyā€-world. If a manufacturer wants to save some money by not localizing software properly, Iā€™ll take that as an example and save money by not buying his products.

Also, their help pages are an example of how not to do it. Again, wild mixture of English and German and other languages (didnā€™t look into all of 'em), products not easy or impossible to identify. Weā€™re in 2023, and I think itā€™s time for some manufacturers to update their usability concept of 2005, if there ever was one.

You raise a good point which highlights the advantage of the Stream Deck range of products. You use your own localised language
Stream Deck C1 Menu
keyboard to label the keys, or better still use an icon to match your original softwareā€™s icon.

1 Like

for those who have touchscreen tablets laying around and would like to repurpose them, hereā€™s a solutionā€¦

2 Likes