Loupedeck support

+1 for me too! Loupedeck support would be awesome. Generic support for hardware controllers would be even better.

At the least, just making PL4 keyboard controllable would be a huge improvement! Being able to press a key combo to choose say Exposure Compensation and then use the up/down or left/right arrows to adjust would speed editing up a ton. (This would also improve initial hardware controller and pen tablet integration, as they could map to keystrokes.) Capture One added speed editing keys in their most recent update and both C1 and Lightroom offer lots of keyboard shortcuts. I really love PL4 and it is my main editing program, but this seems to be one (of the very few) areas it lags behind in.

4 Likes

+1 for me too!

• Loupedeck support
  • or an open API for other Hardware-Controllers
  • and / or self-definable Keyboard-Shortcuts would be great !
2 Likes

Lack of Loupedeck support is the only thing keeping me from fully moving from the ā€œother guy.ā€ :slight_smile:

An open framework for external device support would make more sense than building closed, dedicated Loupedeck support. With an open framework, users could build and share configuration files for all kinds of dedicated hardware. Of course, on top of the open framework DxO could provide a well thought-out Loupedeck template.

Those who like hardware controllers are a fickle bunch who want much customisation: an open framework would avoid much gnashing of teeth, reduce the programming load building support device by device internally and result in much wider hardware support.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been watching this message string grow for 2 years and I get the feeling that Loupedeck and hardware controller support is still a way off. Despite being a PhotoLab user since launch, I even had a weird afternoon where I seriously looked at buying DxO PureRAW to use with Lightroom, even at the expense of Clearview and the Colour Wheel - both of which I use extensively. Like most photographers, I judge my workflow ā€˜in the roundā€™ and the benefits of using a control surface for RAW processing in LR/C1 and post-prod in PS are persuasive. Cā€™mon DxO, you can do it.

Loupedeck reviews have been mixed since v1. The concept is great but the actual physical execution is not fabulous. An open API to hardware interfaces would make more sense as Loupedeck afficiandos could build and trade configurations and so could those who prefer simpler but more robust hardware interfaces.

1 Like

So any news regarding this topic?

I hoped for v5 and was disappointed.

But I still hope for

• Loupedeck support
  • or an open API for other Hardware-Controllers
  • and / or self-definable Keyboard-Shortcuts would be great !

Is there anything on the roadmap at least or maybe better forget about that?

Regards
Markus

Two years ongoing request and not even the basic functionality :disappointed:

I was able to make Loupedeck Live work with DxO. ā€œWorkā€ like in ā€œfrom time to time I found a usable shortcutā€, but the shortcuts inside PL are such a mess. As is the Loupedeck software as well, so two messes ā€¦ adding or multiplying?

I could make a fullscreen mode work:

But the shortcuts for rating, rejecting and selecting are different in fullscreen mode, I believe. Also, my biggest interest was to make local adjustments easier:

First I needed to design the icons as I could not find them within the software. It took hours to set the loupedeck device up. Just to realize, the sliders are in no case reacting when I turn the assigned knob.

Loupedeckā€™s software however has ready made settings for Capture One. In English. My Capture One is setup in German and I will not sit and learn the bloody interface in another language just because a hardware manufacturer is too lazy or too ignorant to realize there are more languages in this world than just English.

EDIT: My takeaway from this exercise is: Neither Loupedeck nor DxO Pl are effectively interested in a cooperation which would make life much easier for their users. And especially PL is hardly anything more than just a RAW-converter with a bit of added conversion functionality. I for myself donā€™t have the time to save me some time with editing by fiddling hours and hours with software, additional software because DxO lacks a decent DAM, plus a nice little device which just is meant for native English speakers, setting up their computers in English and deny the language they speak natively.

2 Likes

Well, THATā€™s (the sliders) are the sticking point.
Iā€™d like to turn a bunch of knobs with my two hands on a controller, what could be much more ā€˜sensitiveā€™ when i.e. colorgrading a photo than with a mouse.
The few things, that are available via keyboard-shortcuts, I attached to my 32-button Steam-Deck ā€¦ thatā€™s not a big deal.

So I have no need, to buy another controller at the moment :man_shrugging:

1 Like

You donā€™t have to buy or use this software! Get something that works for you. Other people on this forum are quite happy with PL, myself included. So please donā€™t rant and rave about functionality that is not available that you want.

2 Likes

And you donā€™t have to rant or tell me what I have to do. Just saying. If you canā€™t take my critic about DxO PL, fine. But why do you want to defend DxO PL? ā€œFunctionality not avaiblableā€ - in general it is available. From other apps at least. Since you donā€™t know the reasons why I had to buy PL (one was to support an alternative to what I already have as this alternative is in few aspects better), I just would remain a bit more silent if I were you. What I really dislike are people trying to lecture others. And reading a couple of other forum threads, Iā€™m not the only one not perfectly happy with that product.

Itā€™s been quite a long time now that I have asked for the different features to be accessible through keyboard shortcuts ā€” and then Streamdeck(s)
I share the usersā€™ disappointments here, since this kind of feature is quite the norm, weā€™ve been waiting for it for quite some time now, and itā€™s purely a UI feature that doesnā€™t require any photographic knowledge from the developers (which means it could be done by a side-team if necessaryā€¦)
And please donā€™t refrain people from asking improvements!

Instead of Loupedeck support et all, I really would like some support (better GUI) for pen tablets
ā€“ doing photographic work!

1 Like

I ocassionally use a Wacom Intuos with PL - is that what you meant @Wolfgang ? Of course PL doesnā€™t support pressure or angle of the pen, but few apps do that really well.

Loupedeck is just a way to click less and also do kore than one adjustment at the time, but I canā€™t blame DXO. The loupedeck app is just a feast of strange stuff.

Yes, a Wacom Intuos Pro M ā€“ I have written several times about it.

Havenā€™t read anything of your Wacom posts, sorry, but honestly, PL5 ist not exactly sky-high in my usability rating, so Iā€™m not surprised that this part of input devices is not covered.

Iā€™m considering buying the ā€œTourBoxā€ instead of a Loupedeckā€¦Worth it?
Does somebody here already use one? Does it work? Could you share your feedback about using it with Photolab?

Thanks.
Ian.

2 Likes

I tried Loupedeckā€™s ā€œLiveā€ last year. Didnā€™t work well with PL due to the lack of enough shortcuts and connection to local adjustments. So, if TourBox also is based on shortcuts, just make sure you can return the device. Loupedeck took it back and refunded it, I also criticized their app (at the time, now they had a couple of updates). Main critic from me is no language supported other than English in their standard app. And I must say, I have zero tolerance for a European manufacturer not to respect our language diversities.

I never tried the Loupedeck, and probably never will (too expensive, looks like a ā€œkeyboard with knobsā€ to me). What I find interesting with the Tourbox is that it looks like a gaming controller, itā€™s very compact and doesnā€™t require software companies to use any SDK/API to make it workā€¦

1 Like

+1 for adding Loupedeck support to PL.

Unfortunately PL has always been very poor with scripting capabilities. On Mac it never had support for AppleScript and no surprise it doesnā€™t support Apple Shortcuts nowadays.

A couple of years ago Iā€™ve programmed an AppleScript suit named APHub to be able to still use my beloved Aperture for DAM but make all advanced photo edits in newer apps like Photolabs or Capture One while preserving all edits inside the Aperture database. While it was easy to interface with Capture One via AppleScript, Iā€™ve had to use GUI scripting with Photolabs to get it working with limited functionality.

Interestingly you can use the mousewheel to adjust values in PL by mousing over the slider and holding the cmd key. PL detects the slider under the mouse cursor and changes the value of the slider.

So the logic to change a slider with a wheel (or knob in case of Loupedeck) is already there but there is no interface to trigger that logic from outside PL.

If DXO would implement the hooks to trigger that logic from outside, Loupedeck or PL users could programm a plugin to make the Loupedeck knobs work in PL.

4 Likes