Just purchased a new Nikon Z Fc. I hope DXO will eventually support it

I am primarily a Canon shooter, but I just pulled the plug on the Nikon Z Fc with the 16-50 kit lens. I wanted something smaller and lighter than the Canon 7D Mark II, especially as a walk around camera on vacations. It is brand new and in demand so I was surprised I was able to get it. It should be arriving in the next day or so. It has gotten good reviews, is relatively inexpensive, and the retro aesthetic appeals to me.

I will still be using my Canon 7D Mark II with a variety of lenses, but I hope that DXO will eventually support raw images for this body in PhotoLab. I believe the sensor is identical to the one in the Nikon Z50 which is currently supported for use in PureRAW.

Mark

4 Likes

Damnnnn Mark i am jealous. What i nice retro look camera.
they follow Leica and Olympus. you felt for the fact that when you where young you had the same one :rofl:

My granddad gave me this one 35 years ago:

looks the same and is made for smacking around.
wana trade?
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
i even throw in a
110mm portret lens panogar and a Caonon FL Zoom 55-135mm f/3.5 Zoom lens
(that will add it to 1.9kg so you can use it to defend yourself.)

I really shouldn’t have spent the money, but its a belated 75th birthday present to myself, which was in June. I haven’t bought any new cameras or lenses for over 6 years, so my wife said it was time I treated myself. I guess I’ll have to use NX Studio to convert the raws to Tiffs so I can edit them in PhotoLab. It may be some time until DXO adds support for this brand new camera to PhotoLab.

My Canon 7D Mark II with a Canon 15-85m lens mounted weighs weighs 1485g. The Nikon Z Fc with the 16-50mm kit lens mounted weighs in at 525g which is a bit more than 1/3 the weight!! In fact, the Canon 15-85 lens by itself weighs 50g more then the Nikon Z fc AND the 16-50mm lens combined!

My reason for posting was a little self serving. It was my first attempt to suggest to @Marie and others that I would like them to add support for this camera and the Nikkor 16-50mm kit lens in the near future. :laughing:

Mark

2 Likes

Hi Mark, did you make an official request on DxO’s page already ?
Well if it is for a special birthday I guess we can ask @Marie to have a look here, what do you think ? :grinning:

I did not have a chance yet. But I will request it.

Edit: I just requested the addition of this new camera and not so new lens to the support database. There is a lot of positive discussion on the internet. Hopefully it will be so popular that DXO will prioritize adding support. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Mark

2 Likes

Yes I read it is a nice « little » camera :slightly_smiling_face:
Hopefully it will be easy to get one quickly :crossed_fingers:t4:

Thanks. We’ll see. I won’t hold my breath. :slight_smile:

Mark

Supplement it with the Nikon 18-300 DX lens and FTZ, and you have the perfect travel camera IMHO

Thank you for the suggestion. However my main reason for purchasing the Z fc was to keep things small and light.

I also tend to shoot wide rather than telephoto and much of what I shoot is in low light. The camera came with the 16-50 mm DX kit lens, and I’m going to add the new compact Z mount 28mm f/2.8 prime when it becomes available.

Mark

2 Likes

Ah, OK; different styles, different needs. I find myself more often at the telephoto end on my travels and less in need of low light capability, so my current choice is the Z6 plus 24-200. So when DxO (finally! :slightly_smiling_face:) supported that combination, I was a happy bunny indeed :blush:

Keep in mind, that I also have a Canon 7D Mark II with about a dozen lenses that will handle a variety of other situations including telephoto, although I rarely take any shots above 100 mm.

Mark

1 Like

It sounds like you are suffering from GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) :laughing:

1 Like

You’re right Joanna, it is G.A.S. but in my case it stands for Getting old with Aches and Soreness. I hadn’t purchased any new gear in years.

This new camera with lens attached weighs just 17 oz which is 2 oz less than the weight of my favorite walkaround lens by itself, Canon’s 15-85 mm. It’s not just about the weight, it’s also about the bulk. The combo of my Canon 70 Mark II with my other favorite lens, the wonderful Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, attached not only weighs close to 4 lbs, but is physically very large. I just turned 75 and frankly it’s not as much fun dragging it around with me all day while I’m sightseeing or going to a museum.

I was absolutely shocked by the incredible quality of the images I am able to get with the puny little 4 and 1/2 oz Nikkor 16-50 f/3.5-6.3 lens. Even in low-light it focuses immediately and the images are as sharp as a tack. I won’t pretend that the form factor of this Nikon FM2 film camera look alike doesn’t appeal to me. It certainly does and I’m having more fun taking pictures with it than I have in a long time.

When the lens becomes available, I’m also intending on purchasing the new Nikkor Z mount 28mm f/2.8. which I suspect will be great in lowlight situations and terrific for general street photography with a 35 mm equivalent angle of view of 42mm.

Mark

2 Likes

Hi Mark, congratulation!
Just wondered, that a long time Canon user goes Nikon. :slight_smile:

Some years ago, I got a Lumix LX100. Beside weight and size – and no chance to mount another lens – it’s also less obtrusive, while for planned events I still hang on to my trusty DSLR’s.

have fun, Wolfgang

Yes I appreciate the heresy of a Canon shooter moving to Nikon. :slightly_smiling_face: It was a combination of the vintage form factor which really appealed to me as well as the excellent reviews.

One of the only negative comments in the reviews is its lack of IBIS. The fact that this camera doesn’t have IBIS like some competing cameras is not an issue for me. I have never used a camera with IBIS and even several of my current lenes don’t have image stabilization. I’ve never found it to be a problem.

There are also competing cameras in the same price range with larger pixel counts, most notably Fuji 26mp sensors. However, I believe for my uses the 21 megapixel Nikon sensor will meet my needs.

I shoot almost 100% manually and I’m really enjoying controlling the camera using the physical dials to change aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. I also find it forces me to think more about about each shot I take, similarly to when I used my old Pentax K1000 film body. So far, for the most part, I’m keeping the lcd touch screen folded into the camera which prevents me from pixel peeping after every shot which reinforces the film camera experience.

Mark

2 Likes

Having moved past 77 I also have been finding my Canon gear an increasing pain to hump about. In my case I got a Sony a6000 some years ago as a spare camera when using my 800mm and 7D2 it let me do landscapes etc. when birding. At the time it was way better than any Canon mirrorless camera and I largely got to grips with its appalling menu and oddities of controls. So I had batteries and 2 lenses so I jumped into getting a a6400 with a 75-350 and 90mm macro. I now have a small bag with 3 lenses covering 16mm up to 350 with a 90mm macro along with a flash and handful of batteries. I don’t think the weight is as much as my 7D2 and 16-35mm let alone adding in the 24-70 and what is now mind boggling 70-200 and sill not reaching 350 or macro. In deed the a6000 is so light I can carry that attached to one lens with the 6400 on another. I can’t use a 800mm lenses, well I could just lug the 5D2 and lenses about for the odd occasion but in the last 2 years it’s only been used in the back garden! My advantage however is all the Sony gear is covered by PL.

Yes your Sony gear is covered by PhotoLab. That is great. Unfortunately, my new camera and lens isn’t supported yet. As I said earlier, I hope they will support it eventually, sooner rather then later. In the meantime, I’ve downloaded Nikon’s NX Studio to create tiffs from the raw files. NX Studio is very nice for free software, but it is not PhotoLab. .

Mark

I am mostly on A-mode and i-ISO but i like to change offten when i play around.
(aka have time to take photo’s instead of keeping one eye on the family to avoid too much delay.)
So i like dedicated knobs and buttons. My G80 has programmable buttons which is great but sometimes i forgot which function i placed where.
Like touchscreenlock unlock. I am left eye dominant which is a horror ,your nose turns right, right on the touchscreen altering focus area… As everyone knows ears and noses keep growing when aging…so…:disappointed_relieved:
And i need lcd for quick change when i don’t have the eye on EVF. And on low light also a reading glasses sins a year… To see clear and sharp the LCD…
But i like dual IS. IBIS and IOS. On a m43 sensor and PL’s denoising i can use it as like a FF. ( high iso for motion, lower iso and dual is for scenery without motion.)

But G.A:S. Is a syndrome we humans never get rid of. The collectors gen. :grin:

Your physical layout ofvthe Nikon looks very comfortable.

Hi Mark,

Greetings! I got my Nikon z fc with kit 16-50 on Aug 4th. I completely agree with your observations. To quote John Keats, “ A thing of beauty is a joy for ever “. This little beauty Is taking much better pictures than my Nikon D7200 with Tokina 16-50 f/2.8 at less than half the weight. I have also ordered z50-250 dx lens which is very light and nicely reviewed.

Yes, we need dxo support for Nikon z fc, 16-50 and 50-250 lenses!

This is my first posting in dxo forums.

Regards,

Mohan

2 Likes

Hello Mohan,

Welcome to the forum.

This pitch would got me dumping my DSLR and run of to the local shop to spend more money then i can afford to tell at home…:grin:

Luckaly i have a weightsafer, M43 system. Which DxO’s optics and denoise levelt up a notch in quality.

So for the sake of getting more out your rawfiles i do hope DxO is adopting fast this model.
Until then enjoy it’s looks, feel and use. I will sobb in the corner … :yum:

Thinking of this request, which isn’t tagged as request, would it be a good system to have on the main website in the corner where the supported camera’s are listed a voting entry made so everyone who has a non supported camera can vote on his camera or place a new lens or body to the list. In full view and hopefully answered with releasedates of the new supported lenses and bodies.