I just discovered DXO PhotoLab

with the D850, i don’t know if you can share raws, with my 20Mp camera i can share 3 raws in the same post

I don’t know if you have completely abandoned film, but it is still available in some places, and processing of color film is still available. B & H in New York is a good source. I started with film in 1953, but now use mostly digital When I scan my old Kodachrome slides, they have a quality that is hard to describe, but marks it as different from digital. This is a shot from about 1967.
Baggage wagon sharpened.tif (22.9 MB)

Is there a recommended sharing service that folks use here? The DXO exported dng files are huge (188 MB)

I tried sending an unprocessed raw file (NEF), and it was converted to jpeg at (by?) the website.

Howdy,
I have a Plustek scanner and SilverFast software scanning and recovering, or trying to recover, my old slides and photos. I have even recovered some old 110 negatives that my wife took. Unfortunately, I lost a lot of negatives and slides (positives?) going back to the 70s in the flood caused by Hurricane Harvey.
I just found a roll of film that was above the water, but sat in the house stewing for 9 days. I am sending it off to DarkRoom to see what they can do with it. There may be more slides and negatives lurking about.

Oh, that is a nice photo, by the way. Thank you for sharing.

This was what I recovered from faded 110 negative.

DXO did a great job on top of the scanner software.

Here is a shrimper in a different format; if it gets accepted, tried that modified cropping.
_DSC2668_DxO.dng (44.6 MB)

Some already have cloud services that can be used. I’ve used wetransfer.com. Share the original raw file and the corresponding .dop file. The .dop file contains the settings you applied.

Hi,

Size limit per file is 48 MB, so not ok for the huge D850 raw file.

Swiss transfer offers much for free i think.

Try it here

Thank you, I shall try this

Here are the RAW and PL minimal Smart Lighting & Clear View Plus DNG (but I would have had to export as jpeg as posted here before) that I would submit to Maritime Websites. I hope that I did it right.
SwissTransfer.com - Envoi sécurisé et gratuit de gros fichiers

If you want to show people how you have adjusted things n PL, you need to post the DOP file which accompanies the RAW file. The DNG files really don’t show anything of what you have done, only the finished result.

Here is a full-sized JPEG export of what I have done…

… and here is the DOP file with your untouched original as the master and my version as a virtual copy…

_DSC2650.NEF.dop (19,9 Ko)

Thank you for your reply Joanna,
I did not realize that. I have messed with them a bit and posted to various sites.
_DSC2650.NEF.dop (12.6 KB)
_DSC2659.NEF.dop (11.6 KB)

I guess drag and drop has to do, the upload function says that they are empty??

Hi,

My exercises. I remove microcnstrasts from the clouds to avoid this fake effect.

_DSC2650.NEF.dop (25,7 Ko)
DSC_1832_DxO.dng.dop (25,8 Ko)

for the second ship, i found the pic not so crisp,
for the first one, are you sure 1/200 is enough with a D850 without IBIS ?

Enjoy PL

It was taken with a VR lens, but again the ship is 295 meters long, 45 meters wide, at an angle; and .35 nautical miles away. So I think that I had a lot of interesting focus and exposure geometries going on here. Ideas? Perhaps as mentioned before opening up to f8, f10, f11 perhaps? Things to think about for the next tanker.

I focused approximately midships. Single point focus. I wonder if panoramic would’ve worked better? Or more points?

I have seen discussion in the forum regarding the absence of the panoramic feature in PL as compared to Lightroom Classic. I understand that PL can export to my Affinity software, but it does not stitch as nicely as Lightroom did.

So, with the 200mm focal length you used, if you focused at midships, with an aperture of f/10, you would have everything acceptable sharp from 201m to infinity - which is plenty of depth of field to get everything of interest.

In fact, if you focused on the bow of the ship, you would still have got everything from 195m to infinity acceptably sharp.

Single point focus is perfectly fine and, at those distances, it’s not exactly critical unless you expressly focus on something a lot closer (like less than 100m) when you might start getting noticeable softness in the far distance.

Well durn, my apologies to all. I do not know where my head was. The sequoia was an older photo, and is an apples to oranges comparison, except for it being what I had posted on two maritime websites.
The distances and ships specifics are about the same.
This should be a link for the port side photo of the FLEX RESOLUTE, and hopefully all the required files that you need.
https://www.swisstransfer.com/d/9f9af4ab-4b04-4733-9bac-2cae30b98606

If I did things correctly, the latest links were shot at f8. and as Joanna said, even I can see the difference between the f8 and f16 shots. Very noticeable on the upper edges of the blow out vents.