I just discovered DXO PhotoLab

Haven’t had much time and only made global adjustments, but you are correct…it’s too blueish

Hi,
Clouds with increased constrast/microcontrast/clearview give not natural results. Look in the sky, edges of clouds are soft. You can play sometimes to have dramatic skies but for everyday pic it is very fake.
Enjoy pl

I agree that clouds are generally soft at the edges and often too much contrast and sharpening is applied to make them stand out. In the past I have often been guilty of that myself. Of course the amount of atmospheric haze present will also affect cloud edges. And, often clouds naturally appear more distinct especially when there is a very bright blue sky providing a lot of contrast. However, bringing out sky detail by increasing edge definition is often used to set a mood, especially in B&W photography, and can enhance an image’s emotional impact.

Mark . .

Yes, not being able to compare side by side is unfortunate.

1 Like

Howdy,
I do not know what happened here, but to me it all looks fuzzy when I click on the picture?? I guess that I can’t send y’all the raw to play with?

Yes Joanna,
I really hated that Dx camera, so my wife gave me a D850 present. I had been trying to learn something about lens sweet spots. I was using an AF-S Nikkor 70 - 200 mm f/4G ED VR.
ISO 180
at 200mm

To my old eyes, the picture of the tanker looked sharp all around. Of course, my old submarine buddies and I like the more threatening look

To be honest, I can’t remember why I went with 16 rather than 11. Heck, at my age, I can’t remember what I did yesterday sometimes. Then again, I do remember that I bought my first SLR camera when my sub pulled into Holy Loch Scotland in the early 70s and the Ships Store on the Sub Tender had a special on yashica SLR cameras. :slight_smile:

FR I was my first DSLR ever. I aimed for a Contax RTS but my rulers (aka “parents”) asked the destroying question “for what do you need such an expensive thing?” “because it’s beautiful and designed by Porsche” was no sufficient answer.

Next time I see my mum I need to show her my RTS III I bought last year :grin:

I was at approximately .35 nautical miles from the tanker.

@OldSubSailor

also tried to bring the ship ‘forward’
( crop similar like @platypus )

VC1 → _DSC2650.jpg.dop (56,9 KB)

the adjustments

(didn’t touch the sky, but added a vignette w/ reversed Control point)

I appreciate the crop lesson

Hi Old Sailor,

Are you shooting raw ?

variante en N&B

1 Like

Yes, I shoot RAW with both a Nikon D850 and Z50.

Ok i just asked as you shared highly compressed jpg.

I was using LR a while ago. I got better result with landscapes with PL so gave up LR6.
PL has much better Noise Reduction tool for high iso images.

But be conscious you don’t have same functions (such as panoramas), so PL is not a LR clone and vice versa.

Enjoy

Well, I do not know what I can post here. I believe that PL can export various formats.

I am used to having to post 8 meg or 12 meg jpeg photos to maritime sites.

Oh, I am on the road right now.

If I can share in a different format, I will be happy to if that will help.

You can share any size raw file if you post a link to a sharing/cloud service where you put your samples. New users have to cope certain restrictions in what they can attach,but restrictions go away after reading several threads, spending time etc.