How much DxO ClearView Plus is enough, or too much

Something like the butcher is certifying his own meat. Like Gregor, there must be something outside the system to tell the system what to change.

I’ve seen several edits of your image. Maybe not to the point, but try it b/w.

George

1 Like

The other one too.

George

I agree - this is what I ordered this morning:

As a bonus, it is on sale, Thanksgiving.

I read a lot more about the iMac and screen calibration. I’ve been wrong about this, it is needed.

I like the image in B&W. Usually there is some color, somewhere, but not here.
The clouds don’t look real though. The software is doing something to them that doesn’t look good.

Here is another version, highlighting the water streams, and warming up the mountain and grass.2015-05-30 14-06-38 NIKON D600.NEF.dop (19.1 KB)

Further tweaking using Picture Window for contrast and levels.

Have a look to your sensor. There seem to be a lot of dust on it.

George

As far as I can tell, there is one speck on the sensor. When it’s safe to travel, I’ll go to the Leica shop in Miami and let them clean it.

I took a few more photos yesterday, as the sun was dipping behind the buildings. One I attempted to export with no corrections, and the other is what I hope is an acceptable image.
Disregard the watermark - it should only show up on the lower image, after editing.
White balance was still set to auto. I have since changed it to 5500 (daylight).

I case anyone is interested, this is what the scene looks like with no editing, other than my watermark. Workspace was DxO Advanced.

1 Like

Mike,

I found a lot more than 1 spot. Here are 10 of them. You may need to look at them at a higher zoom level to see some of them because many of are partially hidden in the dark clouds of your version that I originally downloaded. After I annotated this copy I found an additional 7 or 8 that were hidden in the colors or textures of the image. You are definitely due for a sensor cleaning. If you still have trouble seeing them open this file in PhotoLab and look at them at 300-400% zoom.

Mark

1 Like

Not sure what to do about this right now. People talk about using a “Rocket blower” (which I have). Another option is to take the camera to the Leica shop in Miami, once I can safely go there. Or, for now, I can just ignore it, as I don’t have a good way to deal with it.

I’ll ask in the Leica forum what they do.

I’ve been using the camera on and off since March this year, changing lenses as needed. I do keep the opening down, so dust can’t fall “into” the camera. I also have the swabs and other gear, but I don’t want to risk making a mistake.

Use the blower and the swabs to clean your sensor. Sensors are a lot hardier than you think. Search DPReview for a video they made about scratching sensors and cleaning sensors - very eye-opening. If I find it I will post a link.

I already have a login, but it’s probably from when I first got my M8.2 camera. I’ll need to register my M10 once I look up the exact purchase date.

I tried to find the step-by-step guide, but the 7 or 8 pages I looked at didn’t have it - or I’m getting too sleepy. Will try again in the morning.

I ran the dust detection tool, and some of it matched the photo posted above, but I think some specs were too small to show up. None of the spots from running the test could be from my lens, as the instructions were to defocus the lens.

I’ll follow your advice this week, and contact the Miami Florida Leica store. No rush.

Thanks !!!

An easy way to check dust for dust on your sensor is to make a picture of a white wall with the most narrow aperture and a rather long shutter time. Move the camera when taking the picture. The moving of the camera and the long shutter time will prevent to much detail in the image. Dust spots will be more visible. A small aperture will reduce the ghost shadow.

George

1 Like

To bring the discussion back on topic…

If you don’t like the over-detailed look of the clouds due to adjustments like Smart Lighting, ClearView Plus and micro-contrast, etc, try covering the sky with control points and applying a negative micro-contrast just there.

Before

After

2 Likes

100% for sure, the sensor has dirt on it.

I don’t think dirt in, or on, the lens would show up the same way. It would be greatly out of focus.

1 Like

Yes, this is pretty much what Leica’s built-in test does, but the Leica test exaggerates any dust it finds.

I don’t know how that can be a build-in test.
And I don’t know how the dust removal of leica works but most modern camera’s have a dust removal. The sensor is shaking with the idea that dust will fall of the sensor. That’s all.
It’s not the sensor but the glass before the sensor.

George

Not sure what to say - the test is there, and it seems to work.

It’s not a dust removal tool; it just does what was done up above, showing where the dust is. Next time I run it, I’ll take a photo of my camera screen.

I started with the article ‘jaapv’ created for Leica sensor cleaning, and added those new instructions for the M10. I’ve sent it off to ‘jaapv’ to post for others to see it - it’s his article, not mine. I’ll attach my Microsoft Word copy of what I ended up with here:

Leica M10 Sensor Cleaning.docx (14.8 KB)

Misunderstanding about what is meant with build in. It just a manual test like I mentioned. Only the image will be edited with high contrast to make the dust more visible.

George

Hi guy, One should be prefer is not the first, the second or the third. Besrtquestion is what is your goal and have you reach it ? We can only answer on a technical point of view and response is on an artistic point of view.