Dual screens iMac / Eizo usage

Dual Monitor Work around—Windows 10 Pro 64 bit —DXO PL5 Elite Version

Go to toolbar at the top of the screen and look for View. Click on View and a drop down menu appears. At the bottom of it see Dock Image Browser or Undock Image Browser. (Click on “it” to get the other.)
If “Dock Image Browser” appears, you can go to it (the filmstrip) and click on the white portion at its top and drag it to your second monitor.
That is how I move the Image browser (and all of its contents) to a second uncalibrated monitor where the thumbnail images appear. That frees up my main calibrated, monitor for the image I am processing and related palliates.

In Windows 10, my main monitor is Display 1 and my secondary monitor with the filmstrip is Display 2. Once I have completed the above, DXO PL5 (or windows) remembers the setup so I do not have to repeat it each time I log on to DXO P5.
I hope there is something equivalent you can do in the Apple/Mac version of DXO PL5.

Thank you Joseph.
I don’t think it works like this in Mac OS. I guess I’ll have to try, when I have my second screen.

It does work exactly like @Photoman43 described it, also on Mac. Just that the filmstrip is now an independent app window. Other windows can go in front of it, even if you want to continue working after posting nothing in Safari or reading a mail. As soon as you continue working in PL, the big filmstrip on your secondary monitor doesn’t reappear, you need to activate it first by clicking into it. It reacts to mouse scrolls, but when I want to select a picture in that window, I first need to click one time to activate it and another time to select the picture.

In Capture One this is done with one single click, as long as I can see the image browser behind all other app windows in front of it. Also, when saving the window configuration in C1, I can activate it again. In PL5 E? No. Only the palette configuration of the main window. The browser will become invisible if you try to dock it again. It’s done after a sample book with the title “how you should do do two screen handling”.

Ok. Clear. Thank you Joachim. Don’ t (yet) know if this works for me. Sounds rather cumbersome and needs improvement. Despite the fact that workspaces could be used. Doesn’t solve it, I think.

Two screens seem like a brilliant idea, but have you ever tried moving mouse on a slider that is anything between half a metre and a metre away from the part of the image you are interested in watching what change it makes?

Which is one reason why the idea of having an “equaliser” for Local Adjustments available at the point of use - which throws up its own problems. Like not being able to see the part of the image you want to change because the equaliser is covering it, or not being able to use certain “global” adjustments because putting something like the Colour Wheel on the equaliser is never going to be practical.

To my mind, having the tools to one side of the editing window, on the same screen seems to be just about the only reasonable compromise. Unless, of course, you are seeking to justify having that second monitor because you think it makes you look more “techie” :crazy_face:

That’s something I worry about as well Joanna. I’ ve set the speed of my mouse pointer to “fast” so small movement is enough to go from one end to another end of my screen. Don’ t know about using 2 screens yet. Could very well be very unpractical. I definitely don’ t want to look more techie :slight_smile: . I am not and never will be.
Apart from photo editing (DXO PL and other programs), I also use my computer for more general work (internet/watching short video footage etc.). And images look very good on a 5k screen (as my iMac)…only for watching ofcourse. Maybe a bit too much Micky Mouse, but still nice. If there is a very good reason to use 2 monitors while editing…like to read that. Don’ t have my Eizo yet, and maybe I’ ll just sell my iMac, once I use this CG2700S. Hard to tell.
All this questioning and asking for experiences is based on not knowing, how this would work out. The more I can learn from personal experiences, the better I can make up my mind. Personal thing after all (as different opinions here show).
One thing is sure…I will get that Eizo CG2700S (ordered it already). And the question eventually will be:

• Keep iMac as computer (and then I have that 5k screen with it…so dual screen setup)
    or:
  • Sell iMac en buy Mac Studio (and then only Eizo monitor). Not an option yet ofcourse.

I do know that it can very well take months before I get the Eizo (nobody knows how long). Ofcourse I will not sell my iMac yet, but the older it gets, the less money I can get from it (especially since it’ s still Intel and Apple is almost finished with transition to their own chips).
Long story short:
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this!

Well @Joanna have you ever seen a painter fixing his/her palette on the canvas and paint there, underneath the palette?

Having this kind of palette in photo editor just makes side palettes unnecessary if control points are the only way to edit an image. Else than that, it’s super-distractive.

Well, you’re not used to compare two images side by side in the editor. At least not from PL5 :yum:… And sometimes I need other apps, but also the view to the photo editor.

What could also be a good solution, is a little midi interface like Loupedeck, tangent device or something in this area to get the screen free of distracting tools. Unfortunately these kind of tools are inaccessible for PL users - not enough shortcuts and no support for sliders to knobs.

I know, most PL users are living long enough with this “limitations” without feeling limited at all. But if one is used to two screens since 3 decades and every app is set up to use the advantages, it does save time and gives better overview.

Pour ma part, je n’ai pas de problème avec ma combinaison (iMac Retina 5K 27inch 2019 & Eizo CG279X). Les deux moniteurs sont à la même hauteur, l’un à côté de l’autre. Personnellent, je préfère installer l’explorateur d’images sur l’iMac (à gauche), afin de dégager au mieux l’espace disponible sur l’Eizo (à droite), dont la calibration intégrée et régulière apporte une garantie supérieure à celle de l’écran de l’iMac.

Par ailleurs (et surtout !), la présence de l’Eizo me permet de basculer l’image en vertical, ce qui n’est pas possible avec l’iMac. Et comme la plupart de mes boulots (publication de catalogues d’œuvres d’art) sont en verticale, le choix est vite fait.

Je regrette toutefois que les fenêtres de réglages de PL5 aient des dimensions fixes: dès que l’on en utilise plusieurs, la surface de l’écran s’avère vite très encombrée. Et ce, d’autant plus que je dispose également l’explorateur d’images sur l’écran de l’iMac.

Habitué à travailler sur deux écrans, le retour occasionnel en mono-écran est pour moi un vrai supplice…

Mais il faut parfois s’adapter aux circonstances.

PdF

1 Like

Bedankt voor de reactie. Ik begrijp wat je in het Frans zegt, maar ben er van overtuigd dat veel mensen dat niet doen. Is Engels mogelijk?

Thank you for your reaction and good to read that you don’t have major problems with iMac and Eizo near each other.

Geen probleem: gebruik gewoon Google Tranlate (of gelijkwaardig) om te verstaan.

Omdat DxO een Frans programma is, lijkt het normaal om deze taal te gebruiken…

PdF

He said. And I used DeepL to translate. :grin:

En ik denk ook dat het goed is om de monitor tot 90° te kunnen draaien als je vaak portretten of opnamen van het hele lichaam maakt.

Good advice for everyone. As I said, I understood what you said in French :wink:

ありがとうございました。

Now, that we all know deepl.com, we can return to the original topic.

The company I worked with during the last few years thought of getting dual monitors for everyone and opted for superwide dell screens instead. Colour was not that important then, although I found them to be quite decent - and who needs calibration anyway Color Management is for Wimps

1 Like

Your Dutch is actually very good :wink:

Mijn Nederlands komt ook van DeepL, maar morgen reis ik af naar Den Haag en Nijmegen en ik verheug me er erg op!

If Ken says so…it has to be true… :wink:

I thought so it came from DeepL…that’ s why my “wink”. Welcome to the Netherlands !

I work on a Samsung 49" since 3 years, before always two 24". Colour accuracy is good enough, our printers are also just normal Sharp color lasers, good enough to print 500-700 page manuals. What always bothered me was the separation of the two screens, that’s much better with the Samsung now. Which has a cool feature (or is it the Nvidia graphic card?): I can set up F-keys which then start various applications in the settings and proportions I like to work with. One of the reasons for getting a 2nd screen at home was home office with TeamViewer. I just needed a bigger estate. And always wanted an Eizo :grinning:

Sounds good. About an Eizo…same here…always wanted one…and still don’ t have one :wink:

As a person who has used Aperture, Lightroom and now Photolab on Mac machines setup with dual screens for the past 14years, I have consistently used the editing app (and all tools) on one screen and used the second screen to show the file system browser, web browser, and email.

In my experience, having the editing tools on a seperate screen to the main image creates a huge amount of extra mouse movement and saves little/no time. In addition, the image you are editing doesn’t really gain much extra space on the screen with the removal of the tools because the ratio of the image limits how much it can expand by (if you are fitting the image to the the available viewing area).

I typically hide the thumbnail strip at the bottom of the screen and a regular 3:2 ratio landscape image then nicely fills the space between the left and right tool bars. The only way to gain extra screen real estate would be to go into ‘full screen’ mode on the Mac to hide the OSes top and bottom UI elements.

Obviouisly when editing a portrait orientated image the hight of the screen is the restricting factor as to how large the image can be displayed.

FYI, I am currently using a 27" 4k BenQ PD2700U (main screen) which has a 16:10 aspect ratio (so a little taller than a typical 16:9 HD screen ratio). The extra height from the 16:10 ratio is useful imo. My secondary screen is a Dell 24" (U2410) which is also 16:10.

P.S. I use the M1 Mac Mini and overall I love it. I only have 8Gb memory installed and would very much recommend going for 16Gb with Photolab. The main benefit of the Mac Studio imo is the ability to install even more than 16Gb memory. I have no idea what benefits the Pro, Max and Ultra cpus would bring to Photolab and have thus far not seen any benchmarks comparing them (in Photolab) to the regular M1 cpu in the Mini. For me, the M1 Mini would definitely benefit from at least two more Thunderbolt ports.

Note: Edited to correct typing errors and clarify a couple of sentences.

1 Like