DeepPRIME XD introduces purple overlay/chromatic aberration

Be a pro. Stop upgrading to the latest OS version when it comes out. Pro creators upgrade their gear when all their core vendors are ready. Often that means running current OS minus two. Moreover, as I pointed out it’s not like the feature won’t work on the current OS. You just need to use a different engine, which also works fine (except on Mac Minis and Airs, the 7 and 8 GPU unit M1s).

There are some pro creators who run the latest OS on one of their computers as a playground. None of this is rocket science. Sensible creators have followed this cautious workflow with technology for decades now. Other creators gnash their teeth and complain on forums.

2 Likes

I wish to be a pro like you one day and have extra machines to pick and choose which version I can use in the moment. Thanks for the advice. My goal now is to be a pro. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But to get back on point. This conversation isn’t about being a pro or a non-pro. It’s about a highly reputable and respected vendor choosing not to address/fix a bug and “blame” it on Apple. Whether it IS a bug in Apple’s neural engine or not, it is DxO that needs to work around Apple’s bug (like every other AI photo editing software out there). Again, other AI photo editors don’t have this issue or have already fixed it in their software.

I’m not sure what your point in being a pro has anything to do with wanting DxO to address this particular bug. Obviously, we are using the current work-around that we (the community) discovered early on. But we chose to pay lots of money because we expect the product to match the reputation of the vendor. Otherwise, I might as well use GIMP.

3 Likes

Your reply is incredibly condescending. I have experienced errors b/c my old computer (less than 10 years, compared to your sound systems) could no longer update the operating system and current LR, PS, etc was compatible.
I don’t think bleeding edge = Deep Prime. Maybe complex 3D rendering is.
One must assume by your reply to me that either you do not wish to take advantage of current processing advances or you prefer trying to people (females) in their place.

I simply want the software I buy for its advertised key feature(s) to actually work and not interfere when I choose to update my operating system. There are features of new operating systems that can be quite important. I’ve been a software troubleshooter and involved in real-time processing hardware, working with primarily men. They could stick to the issue and discuss the actual problem.

I looked at DXO forums before buying and thought most replies were mature and issue-driven.

1 Like

Just double checking that colors are correct with Ventura and GPU? Anyone disagree?

1 Like

I’m using an Apple M1 Max with macOS Ventura 13. I too noticed the problems with purple color shift and artifacts using DeepPrime XD and green color shift using DeepPrime. Switching to GPU rendering fixes it, but it’s way too slow to be practical. I’m hoping DxO can fix these issues and improve the performance/speed of the feature. Thank you to all of you who have posted about this issue.

1 Like

Interesting to actually find out how slow M1 and Max’s GPUs really are though; My 3070 process a A74 pictures with all the corrections with DeepPrime in like 10 seconds or less.

1 Like

My M1 MacBoook Air treats 60 image files in about 9 minutes with DxO Standard preset plus DeepPRIME noise reduction. With HD noise reduction, 60 images take 2 minutes. Average DeepPRIME “penalty” therefore is about 7 seconds per image file on my computer. Note that all settings were at their respective defaults. Total file size is about 1.9 Gigabytes.

Other performance data can be found searching the forum.

It’s a problem with DXO software not the Apple machine!

Thanks for verifying color seems good with GPU & Ventura. I exported 100 canon R5 raw 45mp photos from DXO with minimal tweaks to LR using GPU. So very slow. Then did the export as JPGs to test. Also extremely slow, which surprised me a lot. Workflow continuity & productivity takes a serious hit with GPU.

I guess this may depend on the photo pixel count, your reported time here (60photo/(9*60second) = 9 seconds per photo is drastically faster than the 29 seconds per photo reported by user Europat above when using GPU.

I think I briefly tried mine (M1 no Pro no Max) using GPU on my Sony A74 raws, I don’t remember but it was taking quite long like a minute if I do DP XD.

No other vendor has anything like DeepPrime. Topaz Labs has their buggy, slow, GPU-intensive Topaz Noise but it mostly gives a better version of those plasticky smeared images which other software packages name noise reduction.

No this thread is not about being a Pro. It’s about screaming at the top of your lungs, making wild charges, like an angry toddler.

PhotoLab 6 is not broken under Ventura. One of three rendering engines does not work. There’s two left, of which one is perfectly viable.

Calm down and take responsibility for both your own actions and your tone. You chose to jump into the latest OS before what is apparently key software for you (PhotoLab) is completely compatible. PhotoLab works fine under Monterey on M1 Macs. DeepPrime works just fine on an M1 Pro and at more or less full speed on an M1 Max. DeepPrime works fine on all Intel Macs and graphic cards. It’s one very specific and new sub-system.

I suggest you reinstall Monterey if you are on just a seven or eight core GPU M1 and carry on with your work. If you are on one of the higher models, then just switch to GPU processing.

Evy, I had no idea about your gender before making my comment. I don’t see the relevance whether you are a woman or not.

3 Likes

DeepPRIME and DeepPRIME XD take different times to process. XD takes way too long for what it gets me. In most cases, I use HD noise reduction, I don’t really care about superclean images - and when I use DP, I either reduce nr levels or add grain later. BTW, XD took a long time to complete the 60 exports. Not quite an hour, but fourty-something minutes.

1 Like

I don’t know how much nicer I can be about you pushing your PRO status and theories on us (or maybe just me). You don’t know me. You have no idea if I am a pro or not. I have never met a beginner who will spend $400-$500 on a RAW editor (and its ecosystem). I will leave it at that because you are really pushing the fact that I am not a PRO and you are the pro here (or that to be a pro, you must use OSes that are at least 2 major releases ago). And that I should just shut up and deal with the bug like a pro.

There are many reasons that people upgrade or stay with the latest operating system. I don’t need to get into the reasons why.

And since you clearly can’t read between the lines, I specifically said that DXO PL6 Elite is just step 1 in the photo editing workflow. This clearly means that although it is important, it certainly is not a key software for me. You assume way too much and your horse is mighty high.

First of all, no one is making “wild charges.” DxO support literally said that they are waiting to see if Apple will fix it on their end or if DxO will have to find a fix for it. You probably missed that. Secondly, I am a customer and I paid good money for a product from a highly reputable vendor. Sure, my tone in one of my post above may be a bit harsh. But because I am not a pro like you, I tend to express my non-pro thinking a little louder and more toddler like. Or maybe I just don’t like making excuses for vendors that are supposed to be one of the best in the industry.

On second thought, I no longer wish to be a pro like you. Arrogant and condescending. Look what you made me do. You brought out the toddler in me.

I forgot to comment on this statement you made. Topaz, since you mentioned them by name, is slow because they chose to render the full viewable area. But exporting is faster, why? Because it was already mostly rendered. DxO is fast when viewing because it only samples the small area you choose to focus on. This is why it takes a long time to export, because it has to render the entire image before writing to disk. Tomato, tomahto.

And again, since you mentioned Topaz, they do have sliders for you to play with the makes images look pretty good. I mean, what pro uses default/recommended “plasticky” settings?

No, DeepPrime is not unique. It is certainly better than some AI editors I have worked with (depending on the image).

3 Likes

Thanks.
Interesting read.

Subscription based, windows only, original raw processed and a second post processed raw is created.
And the small print.

The following restrictions apply when Digital Photo Professional is used to develop images processed with the Neural network Image Processing Tool.

• The existing “Digital Lens Optimizer”, “Diffraction correction”, “Chromatic aberration”, and “Color blur” features cannot be used.
  • The existing “Noise reduction” feature cannot be used.
  • “Default size when opening RAW images” cannot be used.
  • It is not possible to switch between “Prioritize image quality (recommended)” and “Prioritize speed”.
  • “Dual Pixel RAW Optimizer” cannot be used.
  • In the “Compositing Tool”, only “Compose in RAW Format” cannot be used.
1 Like

to uncoy: Why are you on this forum thread? You don’t care about the Issue, yes specifically the issue at hand. Your only contribution is to be negative with everyone else. Please find a Reddit forum where being issue-driven is subjugated to extensive arguments that are kitchen-sink rubbish and not helpful regarding the issue. “Calm down” - what- are you everyone’s controller and manager who determines what is important to them? I think this has been a calm and mature forum overall.

1 Like

Nope. Or if DxO do they won’t see any more of my money or much money from the people who are their paying users. About half of PhotoLab users are specifically Lightroom refugees who refused to sign up for perpetual payments when Adobe went subscription only.

@Evy @kualilo I’ve made my arguments, you’ve made yours. There’s no need to go over them again. I stand by my viewpoint.

2 Likes

Did someone test PL6 on the latest update of Ventura (13.2) released yesterday?
Should I stay (on Monterey) or should I go?

The decision is yours.
I recently downgraded my M1 MacBook Air to macOS Monterey. Ventura added no value to what I need.
YMMV.

2 Likes

Thank you @platipus, that’s also my opinion about Ventura.