DeepPRIME XD introduces purple overlay/chromatic aberration

:joy:

Glad that I understand French since I was 12!

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t speak French!

Perfect. :face_holding_back_tears:

:joy::joy::joy: Very good.

Has anyone tested this update PL6.1.1.38 on Ventura?

Yes, no luck this time the bug is still there.

1 Like

Thank you @Jibz , I will stay on Monterey and wait.

Unfortunately the bug is still present, although it looks like it is not as present. But this might be the example picture I took.

Interesting though, if the setting is set to “Automatic” DXO now picks Apple M1 GPU which leads me to believe they check for the configuration of the Mac and circumvent the problem for now

3 Likes

Processing times are much faster with the M1 Max GPU. It’s about a 10% difference with PhotoLab 5 + DeepPrime and Nikon D850 files. Slightly slower export is a small price to pay to avoid a huge Apple system-wide bug. Thank heavens DxO allows us to switch from Neural Network to GPU, giving us the perfect fallback.

And thanks to @Barbara-S for coming by and giving us both a fix and a (fairly) detailed explanation.

1 Like

Dear @uncoy,

Besides the speed aspect, does the problem also exist on the pro and max versions of the Apple silicon processor?

@DxO: Come on, fix your damn software. It’s now January. If you are STILL waiting for Apple to make changes to their neural engine to satisfy one vendors lack of skills, you are delusional and are just going to lose customers. It’s time you own up to this and just fix it. Like every other photo editing software out there. And I know 3 very good ones that don’t even charge more than $80. None of the other photo editing software I own have this issue. This is a DxO problem. Shame on you!

2 Likes

FYI, Barbara-S didn’t come up with the solution. The community figured this out on their own and had already provided a work-around for this long before her post above. /smh

1 Like

I excitedly bought DXO just before this Monterrey problem. Export as JPGs via GPU takes ridiculously too long compared to other software. I tested before buying and now
my computer is out of sync with all other devices.
I want to keep IOS current for other software and device compatibility and security.
I will have to switch software. :frowning: Not happy about this at all. The bug affects more than one program, it causes problems elsewhere if I can’t use current IOS level.

iOS is for iPhones. I think you mean macOS :wink:

2 Likes

Both OS/X and IOS. You get what I mean. They’ll be the same name in about 2 years. Correcting me was a bit “on the nose” as it doesn’t really address the problem, does it? But yes, let’s be accurate. And DXO needs to be corrected.

It must be a strong failure that DxO cannot provide a bugfix in a few weeks

2 Likes

New update today PL6.2.0!

Wow!, still the same major bug on Apple silicon based computers using macOs 13.x.

MacOs 13 has been released prior to PL6 and many software developers had to manage the Neural Engine regression introduced by Apple and they did!

Of course, around October, everybody wants to release a new revolutionary, fantastic, amazing, etc
 version of their software. DxO delivered us a kind of beta at full price!

1 Like

DxO was one of the first software publishers to take advantage of the Neural Engine. DxO is way too keen on new Apple technologies. Bet the house on the Neural Engine and next OS introduces major Neural Engine bugs.

Happily this time, all you have to do is use the GPU processing instead and there is no bug. For most PhotoLab users this will just add a few seconds of export time per photos. Calm down.

@Evy If you want to live on the bleeding edge, expect your complex media programs to fail regularly. Almost no professionals work in the latest version of MacOS, OS X or macOS. It’s for good reasons. Sound engineers will work in versions which are a decade old, as all their plugins, all their programs and all their audio interfaces work reliably in that particular version.

2 Likes

The problem sits firmly with DxO to fix - if they cannot change aspects of the code to accommodate differences between Monterey and Ventura then there’s something with their implementation of the feature or their code. .

1 Like

Unfortunately, this is the excuse we often make for vendors of products we own. And we let them get away with it. I would hardly call official released OS “bleeding edge”. If you sign up for the beta programs, yes – that would be considered bleeding edge. And on top of this, DxO isn’t the only vendor betting on/using Apple’s Neural Engine. Others have no issues or have fixed their issues.

And I would love to see people use decades old programs to process today’s RAW images from 60+ MP cameras. What most likely happened are that sound engineers stay with decades old program because sound files/workflows haven’t changed that much, or that the products they are still using are no longer updated/supported/gone out of business.

The whole point of this conversation is that we found a bug and DxO isn’t willing to fix the bug (at this point) because they are waiting on Apple to “fix” their Neural Engine to resolve this bug – when other AI photo editing software don’t have the issue or have already fixed theirs. At this point, honestly, Apple will not be making changes to their engine to appease 1 vendor, without upsetting lots of other vendors/people that had already taken the time and resources to find a fix for the issue. Maybe on their next official OS version.

Users are a bit upset because they (including me) bought a Ferrari and were told that we can only drive it as long as we stay below 50MPH. In other words, when you have hundreds of shots per session (for example, wedding photographers) and copy/paste edits – and need export them all for the next step in their workflow, those “few seconds” suddenly matters. A lot. You need to remember that DxO PL 6 is just a RAW editor for the most part. And it is often just step 1 in the editing workflow.

5 Likes