White Slider

Glad to hear it!

Which implies that you can never go back to the original RAW image after having committed to using TIFF files for the “combined” workflow.

Getting to grips with PL means that you can continue making adjustments based on RAW data right up until the moment you export the result for publishing. Once you have moved to using TIFF files, that is no longer possible.

No, if you read the link I posted, you will see that he downloads his images to LR, selects certain images to pre-process in PL, exports them back to LR and continues processing them in LR.

He sets PL up in the first place to perform as DXOPure Raw does. He then exports back to LR as a dng file not a tif.

Interestingly, I have explored a little further, found the PL5 plug-in in LR , and found that “roundtripping” from LR to PL and back as a dng file does actually seem to work in LR6.14.! As I hoped it would! Now I need to set up a preset in PL that will replicate the processing that PureRaw does.

Curious that DXO tech support just gave me a bland “PL does not co-ordinate with LR6.14” reply when I asked them.

When DxO indicates software support is not available for a specific configuration it does not mean it will not work at all. It means that they not tested it for that configuration and haven’t certified that it is supported. If you have issues using it they will not provide support to resolve them.

Mark

1 Like

Hi, Jeremy

You could start with PL’s “2 - DxO Optical Corrections Only” - and then add your Denoise setting of choice (DeepPRIME being the best) … Save that result and you should be set to go.

(You might also add a small amount of ClearView - say, 10 - 20 … as it’s “smart” = it will not adversely impact an image that wouldn’t benefit from it).

John M

Thanks. Very helpful! I haven’t got my head around it yet, but I imagine the instructions to create a preset will be in the online manual.

According to the post I linked to above, PhotoRAW does the following -

Demosaicing + deep prime NR
Lens sharpening correction
Chromatic aberration correction
Distortion correction

I’ll look at Clearview as well. As I understand that’s the equivalent of Dehaze in LR, which I’ve never used, I’ll be a bit cautious about adding it.

So I shall attempt to set it up like that. In good time I may move away from LR completely

See here for the detailed steps involved, Jeremy.

It’s far better than Dehaze in LR (which, I understand, was Adobe’s attempt to mimic Clear View).

Clear View is effective without being evident (when applied at moderate settings) and it’s “smart” - - it won’t adversely impact images where it’s not really needed.

HtH - John M

Thanks John.

More thanks! I’m very grateful.

1 Like

Unfortunately PL’s ClearView does affect every image it’s applied to. In particular it creates halos which are subtle at lower levels such as 10%, but if you take that image into another package and manipulate levels, contrast etc you can easily end up with an unacceptable halo especially at high contrast edges such as mountain tops against the sky. These cannot be undone, as they are in the exported file. So I strongly suggest that ClearView is not included in any preset applied before export if another software package is to be used.

2 Likes