Where does Photo Lab 2 store its library

Just reading French makes me feel classy, and I don’t understand a word.

Everyone is used to their own workflow, and everyone thinks theirs is the best. I tend not to use virtual copies, in part because of limitations like the ability to put them in collections. Maybe i should use them more, at least in the case of black and white photos where you want to compare X and Y but need to go past the conversion from color to black and white. But then, I tend not to do much comparing. If a photo looks good, how much better it is than a previous version doesn’t seem important to me, Still, the original color is important because it tells me which colors will be converted to what density with what filter. Which I suppose is another reason to use virtual copies?

Use Google translate on that and it still won’t make sense.

I just think that as a general rule of thumb, more options is better, particularly if they’ve proven useful in another context.

There are many different paths to post processing nirvana. There is no absolute best way, only the best way for you. When starting out with new software like PhotoLab there will be a tendency to compare the performance of each slider and feature with similarly named ones in the previous software with which you are familiar. That can be frustrating because each vendor may implement their tools differently. Try to keep that in mind if you are thinking Lightroom when you make your adjustments in PhotoLab. You have to relearn which combinations of which sliders to use and the amount of adjustment required.

Mark

2 Likes

Speaking of sliders and such, I have a toolbar across the top of my customize window that looks very much like tools available in Viewpoint [force parallel, rectangle, eight points] at all times, even when I haven’t invoked the Viewpoint pallet. Are they native to Photolab? In fact, with the geometry pallet and other bells and whistles [I could swear I saw a bokeh simulated miniature in here, but maybe that was just an export to NIK] is there really that much more I can do if I purchase Viewpoint:?

Since I’ve always had the Viewpoint plug-in loaded, I don’t know what any Viewpoint tools in the toolbar will do if you haven’t purchased it. Are you sure you are not still using the trial version? Try them and see what they do.

Mark

Yes - That’s a key point for me too (ie. no locked-in dependence on a database or catalogue) - - - I originally came to OpticsPro/PhotoLab for precisely this reason.

John M

2 Likes

ViewPoint is automatically integrated into the PhotoLab user-interface when both are installed.

Presence of these icons in the Toolbar simply provides a shortcut to the options on the ViewPoint pallet … in exactly the same way that shortcut icons are included for Crop, Horizon, WB, etc

John M

2 Likes

This request/complaint comes up quite regularly - - usually in the context of someone’s experience in using another tool.

For me, it’s not a feature I have ever wished was available - - probably due to PL’s non-dependence on the order in which corrections/adjustments are applied … and the simple & easy ability to switch OFF/ON any correction/adjustment (to review its impact) at any stage in the editing process.

John M

2 Likes

I was a user of history in an other application and i thought it is a plus to have one here. Also temporarily clone storage to create fast copy pastes. I was used to that.
But, at this moment, i am not so sure.
The only way i think i can think of to use it is, backtrack to a point i liked to have a virtual copy for a other endproduct., create virtual copy, and jump forward again.

So a selective virtual copy modes for copy paste corrections local and global can help too. Or just remember to do first base corrections, create virtual copy, go on to a point of your liking. And the base version is there for uncountable versions.

It’s decended to the bottom of my wishlist.

It’s easy to create a certain partial preset at a stage you like to have as clone storage so that’s also covered.

It’s an other work mind set.

2 Likes

Blockquote Since I’ve always had the Viewpoint plug-in loaded, I don’t know what any Viewpoint tools in the toolbar will do if you haven’t purchased it. Are you sure you are not still using the trial version?

This probably settles the question. As you [I hope ] can see from the first shot, there is no viewpoint pallet anywhere, so I was unsure whether the correction tools across the top came with the elite version of Photolab. But based on something I saw in a tutorial, I opened the viewpoint pallet which I still have on a trial basis, and as you [I hope} can see the same tool is lit up both above and to the left of the picture. Given the Photolab convention that whatever you do to the same picture you never do twice by accident by using redundant commands, I would say that in fact the answer is that I only have those tools because of the trial version, which is looking more valuable by the day.

Yes, it is very powerful. It probably should have been built into Photolab Elite rather than as a separate plug-in that you have to purchase. You are probably aware that’s besides the plug-in there is a stand-alone version included in the price, however, I only use the plug-in.

Mark

Pourquoi n’utiliser que le plug-in ?
Le plug-in et la version intégrée à PhotoLab ont exactement les mêmes fonctions, mais les utilisateurs de PhotoLab bénéficient du flux de travail des raw, ce qui est un avantage important !

http://dxo.tuto.free.fr/ViewPoint/ViewPoint.html

Google Translate :
Why use only the plug-in?
The plug-in and the built-in version of PhotoLab have exactly the same functions, but PhotoLab users benefit from the raw workflow, which is an important advantage!

http://dxo.tuto.free.fr/ViewPoint/ViewPoint.html

Eh bien, je l’ai acheté et j’y accéderai par photolab.Et je me sens chanceux d’obtenir le rabais.!

I’m evaluating PL2, and one reason was that I needed a file browser that would do some auto settings that show the potential of the image for underexposed or slightly overexposed images (basically improperly exposed) images.
Unfortunately Lightroom falls flat here although the other DAM capabilities of LR are quite good. I felt that the PL2 file browser is a decent approach to this problem.

However, I am unable to change the location of the library on a Mac, on the latest PL2 that I downloaded yesterday.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

FastRawViewer at $15 license is the answer to your prayers.

2 Likes

…also shows a raw histogram. This definitely helps to see if highlights are really clipped or not.

3 Likes