Where can I add a vignette to my pictures in PL3?

@Adi,
If you speak about the gradient masking around the subject and used local adjustments i am not certain you can save this in a preset. (didn’t try jet.)

Creating a Virtual Copy on the start of your filmstrip just for the vignetting part with gradient masking is a easy job and you can copy this from there to any VC you create in the next project, filmstrip , folder.
Just delete when your done and ready.

1 Like

Thx @OXiDant Peter! It’s always about learning! :slight_smile: I will try this next time.

Tom

Just a Free and Easy solution.
Find the link for the free version of Nik Collection (the Ver. that was released by Google)

• Install it.
  • After installation, it should be available in PL3
  • In Coloer Effex there’s the Vignette Adjustment
  • Good Luck

Hi i made a quick and dirty example of gradient “vignetting” the luxe…
video
i used overexposure to see the corner better and aim the centre. then used opactity in toolbox LA to demp the effect find the right amount and then i reversed to black/underexposure and reconfigured the opacityslider for effect. did some “blurring” for fun.
few minuts: VC this and your “master” is produced.copy paste local adjustments done.

Have to correct my self, making a vc and rename is renaming the master also. :sweat: damm.
But tested the preset function and ha! that worked like a charm.
video
After that just open edit preset:
uncheck all not needed tools and your instant vignetting app is ready to use as you like…:slight_smile:

easy peacy:

This way you can create all kind off smart applies and quick changes minuature blur, your own WB setting for a bunch of images. Note i use a 00-temp presets folder for this kind of things and if i would keep it i transport it to : partial presets.

have fun!
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Very cleverly done, Peter :+1: … John M

Ok i did some “creative vignetting” more some creative blurring ;-0
just for fun see if it’s working

maintool gradient filter in local adjustments.

took 6 gradients and made a form of “tunnel” to look in to and then used the erasor to clean the dragonlfy from the effects.

Does it works? yes.
few thing i found strange doh.
1 most local tools work as one layer if i make new controlpoints or mask brushes and have one menu control. unless i ask for a new layer. Gradient doesn’t. it every time creates a new layer when i make a new point of origin. A bit inconsistent imo.

2 if you need to feather smoothen the effect, the erasor you need a big circle and then lots of feathering. a bit of practise is needed.

3 because they are not connected the erasor works only on the selected one which is a pain getting things smooth.

So why is gradient not working as my other layer tools? (or is missed something)

video of the gradient filter effect

And wile i am at it i tried a other one as new aproach:
Miniature effect of viewpoint.
this is in fact a “vignetting/diffraction” bokeh module
Bokeh because i can choose the “blades” and the softness of the DoF overlay.
Vignetting because it starts from the sides to the middle.
Diffraction, well thats seems to be more a problem in a lens on the outer side of a lens then in the centre and normaly we will corrected this behaviour.
I took a shoot of a field close up only because of the green and yellow richness. in f7.1 why i wanted to control the DoF in post. (why? practise experience no real season)

So turned down green a bit and turned up yellow in HSL corrected over saturation in highlights sliders.
then the 9 blades miniture effect at 25%

i liked it.

post DoF controle LOL

reverence, normal image, no blurring:

And my made partial gradient vigenting, partial gradient vignetting.preset (1,7 KB) i made earlier as quick and dirty example.
turned opacity of al four gradients down to 25%

aint it fun?

video => Did the dragon fly also again with my new partial tool:

one thing realizing when i mucking about is i would like to add info on my VC’s.

1 Like

Thanks, Adi! Very good suggestion with existing feature.

You’re very welcome! Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Bonus “just for you”: If you happen to have a circular fisheye lens, I use the same technique to create a preset that makes the area outside the image all black. Since I have it saved as a preset, the first thing I do for all pictures taken with this lens is to apply this preset!

1 Like