Where can I add a vignette to my pictures in PL3?

I use several gradient filters instead of a vignette, even though I have FP5. I feel I have much better control over the light in my pictures. I wouldn’t buy FP5 just for the vignette, but I agree it is a very useful addition for PL.

Thanks for the input. That would make me feel quite a lot better :slight_smile: At the moment, it seems like I’ll have to wait a lot longer offset the LR subscription but here’s hoping I will find the value you mention over time. :+1:

When you use the gradient which is linear covering the length of the side you choose, doesn’t it create an “X factor” where it overlap in the 4 corner?

1 Like

No, I put roughly diagonal gradients to the edges. Often aligned with structures in the picture. Sometimes I use two overlapping gradients in one place. This way I can shape the flow of light in the picture and also lead the eye of the viewer.

If you really don’t want to invest in Film Pack then another option would be to install the Nik Collection (the old, free version is available here) - and use the excellent “Darken/Lighten Centre” filter within Color Efex Pro.

John M

4 Likes

Appreciate the info, thanks. I bit the bullet and bought FP. So, here’s hoping for the future… Now, I’m looking how to custom watermark my photos, which I output in volume. :rofl:

1 Like

See here, Mike.

John M

1 Like

You can do it, post processing individually or batch with a free app SoundScape X (Mac) but it’s just another step.

So, to answer the initial question: You can create a vignette effect with local adjustment.

• Select the brush and shape it at taste.
  • Zoom out so that the brush covers the part of the picture you want to preserve (and progressively degrade)
  • Apply one click of brush, and invert the mask
  • Now reduce the exposure in your mask
    The good news is: you can do so much more! Like a corner-only blur, etc…
4 Likes

Hey @Adi Adrien, that’s a pretty good solution! Thanks so much.

Tom

How can I invert a mask?

Local adjustment pallete rightside of your screen.

2 Likes

well hidden. thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Care to make a youtube-video explaining that? :thinking:

Hi, see on thisvideo how brushes and multi stroke to create feathering by erasing or adding.
@Adi meant by creating a “mask” over the object or area you like to lower or raise lightnes. This way you have a form of creative vignetting.

I hope it is more clear now.

1 Like

Tnx! I’ll take a look

Good solution to emulate a vignette but IMHO way too much effort. Using vignettes quite often this is a time killer.

Hi, you could make a “master” a clean image where only the vignetting is applied/made.
use copy paste local adjustments done.

1 Like

Never done that before, it would probably take me soooo long to create something disappointing :slight_smile:
Hope you found @OXiDant explanation helpful.

Except if you save this as a preset…