When will Nikon Z9 be supported?

Having waited all this while, doesn’t matter if we have to wait a couple of weeks more. I would rather have a delayed update that works flawlessly than having an update that doesn’t deliver the quality we associate with PL.

I have downloaded PR trial to test it in conjunction with LR using DNG as the exchange format. It works very well and delivers excellent results with DXO Prime & Z9+lense module.

Really keen to see to what level Z9 support on PL takes it! Am prepared to wait.

2 Likes

No worries, I guess my patience wore once the PR2 was released with support. I really tried to relax for a while once we were give the mid march timeline, silence there after is not a positive attribute though for me.

Cloud you link to the thread where the delay was discussed so we could have an eye on those topics too? @mwsilvers

Second chance today :hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed:

1 Like

if one of you notices the update being available please notify us here in the thread!

This version is much more expected than a vX.0 :joy:

I’m only going by whoever is answering their IG DM’s… was told yesterday turned into today, but I still don’t see it.

Usually it’s at 15h Paris

1 Like

and tomorrow is the next today and so on :crazy_face:

It’s out!! Enjoy!

3 Likes

Seems to work OK with my NEF files and I was also pleased to see that the optics module for 105mmf2.8 Z macro lens is there.

1 Like

The Z9 + optics modules have been available for a while. If you ever opened a Z9 JPEG in PL5E v5.1, it would prompt to download the modules. PL5E was just lacking Z9 RAW support.

1 Like

So what your are saying is that PhotoLab Elite4 will not support the Z9.

I just received my Z9 in the US, upgraded from the D850 which I will keep as a second body.
I ordered it on launch day as soon as it went on sale from B&H. After numerous emails I kept getting we will let you know when we receive notice from Nikon. Two days ago I send them another email, and was told I would be receiving my Z9 by mid May. The next day FedEx showed up at my door with a brand spanking new Nikon Z9, took it out for a test run today. This beast is everything I expected and more. Now I will have to wait for DXO to get it into gear so I can use my favorite software DXPhotolab4 with my Z9. At the moment I use the free Nikon NX Software for basic editing, then send the TIFF file to Affinity photo to do all the heavy lifting. Affinity photo does a great job, even for noise reduction, the only thing I miss is the dxophotolab presets, U Point local adjustments, color adjustments and denoise.

1 Like

Yes, that is the case. Unfortunately, there will be no update for Z9 support in PL4. When new camera support is added it is only for current and future versions of PhotoLab, and not previous versions. That approach is similar to most raw processors. If you want to process your Z9 raw files with Photolab you will have to update it to version 5.2.

Mark.

If PhotoLab 4 does support the Nikon Z7 II you can change the EXIF data and process your images in PhotoLab. I haven’t tested with Z7 or D850 EXIF data but there’s a reasonable chance they would work (or perhaps not at all, as the sensor is similar but perhaps not as similar as the Z7 II, data might be stored differently).

Alec,

While that may be a workaround, is it practical if you have captured a few hundred images in a shoot? is there a way to batch edit EXIF data?

Mark

Yes, you can put them all in a folder and issue one line to ExifTool, specifying the current folder with a ‘.’ and all files in that folder will be affected.

1 Like

[quote=“mwsilvers, post:137, topic:24037”]
While that may be a workaround, is it practical if you have captured a few hundred images in a shoot?[/quote]

Yes. Even over a thousand.

is there a way to batch edit EXIF data?

Yes. Also covered in less detail above.

1 Like

Thanks guys, I’ve never had the need to edit EXIF data so I am totally ignorant of the procedure.

Mark