When will Nikon Z9 be supported?

If you are concerned about the speed of autofocus, and it seems that it is the case, it can be penalizing.

Since I do not generally shoot fast action subjects, the speed of autofocus is a bit less critical to me.

Mark.

We can discuss this, if you like, via private messaging on this site.

Mark

I can only repeat myself. If you are an international company, and you are professionals, you need to be ahead of everybody else to secure all the needed resources you need to provide your service for your costumers in the fastest and best possible way. If private persons get the Z9 and I know a couple by now, no NPS support for them, but a company like DXO cannot, then there is something very wrong with their logistics. It may be, that they are now waiting desperately for another Z9, but honestly then they should overthink their logistics, and it is us, their costumers and Z9 users that have to pay the price in productivity and workflow.

2 Likes

Sorry for the late answer.

Even if I keep some additional RAWs, I don’t keyword, tag and fuss around with metadata on the non-processed images, only on processed images. I use the five star scale in FastRawViewer to rate images. It’s faster to use 1 star for rejects so all rejects and near rejects (2 stars) get deleted at the end of a session. Three star and higher I often keep as a contact sheet. I only process five star or four and five star depending on how many good photos I have from a session or event.

I’ll probably start keeping only four (very good) and five star (excellent) at some point, as file sizes are so large these days (Z6, D850, Z9).

Mr Stelzer brings up an interesting point. Although DxO does not have the fiscal resources of, say, Adobe, it should be able to order and afford to purchase a production sample of a new camera when one is introduced. Irrespective of special arrangements that Adobe or other vendors may have with a camera manufacturer. I received my Z9 through USA NPS (I mention the NPS in question as the NPS operations may differ in different Nikon marketing regions – Nikon USA will not repair “grey market” equipment, whereas Nikon Canada will do so for fee irrespective of any warranty – and similar games may exist for other Nikon regions). I do not expect DxO to have access to NPS, CPS, SPS, etc. But, as has been pointed out, the Z9 is now available at the “consumer” level, albeit in short supply and evidently high demand. However, as soon as the Z9 was announced, DxO could have placed an order with a Nikon shop somewhere in the DxO home region (EU?). DxO may in fact have done this, and is not willing to release any support until the support meets DxO standards. If the latter, I personally would have preferred early preliminary support to get Z9 raw (NEF) images to clients using PL over the various workarounds that I currently am using to handle several thousand images (I am not an advertising, sports, wedding, portrait, etc, photographer and thus probably have a smaller volume of images per unit time). Obviously, for specific images for specific uses (eg, clients with specific needs), a result using preliminary Z9 NEF support might require a redo in the future, but this typically would be less work than starting from scratch. This of course is an issue for consumer/amateur users, but many such users take the JPEG image from a camera and do not use a raw format, and PL has no issue with JPEG files. For raw format users, the same argument typically does not apply.

2 Likes

Still looking like Mid-march Marie? Any dates floating around? Can’t wait for Deep Prime with a Z9!

Thanks for your help here ; )

2 Likes

Hello friends.

I upgraded to DXOPL5 as it says the Z9 is supported, just not high efficiency yet.

However I can’t see to get it to open files RAW files even when I select the normal lossless RAW.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

I am not sure where you read that “it says the Z9 is supported”. It is not currently supported, but will be when PhotolLab 5.2 is released later this month. March support is also indicated on the DxO camera support website. See the image below

Mark

I see. I must not understand that page because that is the one I misinterpreted.

I thought the checkmark under “Raw Support” meant it supported raw, and that the notes meant that only the HE raw wasn’t supported.

The support date of 2022-03 on that page means that support will be added in March of 2022. Once support is added the DPL support column willl change and look like this page for the Nikon Z fc.

Mark.

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying for me.

You are welcome. While I don’t know exactly when PhotoLab 5.2 with Z9 support will be released, my best educated guess would be in the next week to 10 day. But don’t hold me to it.:wink:

Mark

Hmmm, looking at the chart of supported lenses it seems only the 35 1.8 and 24-70 2.8 will be supported at first.

Any word on the 70-200 2.8 and 50 1.8?

I have no idea.

Mark

Me too, had Z9 delivered Dec 28. Back to using Z7II for low light bird images. Cheers from Australia.

10th March … any more precise information on when Z9 will be supported?

3 Likes

13th March, a few days ago I installed Version 5.1.4 Built 4728, and I am still unable to work files coming from my Z9.
Deception while they promised it for March. Perhaps 18 days to wait…

2 Likes

You’re not lucky.
March does not have 28, neither 30 but 31 days …

1 Like

If you are on a Mac, I’ve found software which will allow one to easily make batch changes to a set of photos to allow PhotoLab 5 to edit Z9 files as Z7 II files. It’s called MetaImage and it’s very easy to use.

MetaImage also works to change iPhone 11 Pro RAW photos to iPhone X designation and edit them. I’ve tested with RAW photos from iOS 13 and have not tested with iOS 14 or 15 yet.

You can buy MetaImage for $3 on sale now along with some other useful software (out of what’s available in the current Award-Winning Bundle, I own and recommend Little Snitch, iMazing, Typinator, HazeOver, Cookie, Forkflit, EagleFiler, DropShare, TaskPaper; others I’m trying include from this bundle include FireTask Pro, OwlOCR Pro, PhotosRevive).