When will Nikon Z9 be supported?

If one does not own an Apple product that will support Metalmage, there are other methods to modify the EXIF information. However, unless the resulting combination of body, lens, and teleconverter that may be used is fully supported by PL5E, some (many? most?) of the advanced automation and controls will not function. Thus, with a Nikon D850, Sigma 60-600 Sport, and with or without a Sigma TC-1401, the combination was not supported. When the Z9 is supported, which lenses will be supported with the body? The issue may be further exacerbated by an adapter such as the Fringer EF-NZ (that functions as the Nikon FTZ/II, but for converting lenses compatible with Canon EF mount to a Nikon Z body with full automation). Note that when I mount a Canon EF mount lens (I have tried both Canon L and Sigma EF mount lenses), the EXIF information appears to be modified to a Nikon named lens. If one needs simply a photo editor for Z9 NEF image files, the software applications available from Nikon do not have DeepPRIME, but are suitable for manual manipulation of the overall image. At least one of these applications is licensed at no cost.

MetaImage is fast and easy to use. As my article covers, it’s possible to change the Camera Model with ExifTool for free but it’s all hard work. The particular change to Z7 II means that all the Nikon lenses supported by DxO PhotoLab for the Nikon Z7 II are supported immediately.

Windows users feel free to (or rather please) ignore my post on the subject.

Does PureRAW 2 support the 3 raw files generated by the Z9?

Found here
“No support of RAW compression High Efficiency for now (will come later)”

The optical modules for the Z9 with a lot of lenses startet to pop up within 5.1.2, but afterwards it still claims body not usable. Hopefully the update is just around the corner

As pointed out above, DxO PureRaw now supports the Z9 without high efficiency NEF. DxO PL5 still is listed as March 2022 – but no update as of yet. This does not address an approach that DxO might consider in that it appears that DxO requires a lens and body combination be tested as a unit if I did not misunderstand an answer to a previous thread. Although such a technique might be ideal, assuming there are N bodies that can accept M lenses (this is a simplification, as the actual issue is a sum of products), the number of tests for modules is N times M. If instead each body were represented by the values needed for a convolution, and each lens the same, only N plus M tests are needed. Thus, a user would have a “mix and match” from a tested body and a tested lens and possibly a tested teleconverter. Computationally, there are a number of rapid techniques to (approximately) evaluate a convolution. For example, the last time I checked, PL5E did not support for full use (DeepPRIME, microcontrast slider, etc.), my Nikon D850 plus Sigma 60-600 Sport plus Sigma TC-1401, and I suspect that this lens combination with my Nikon Z9 (plus FTZII that does not “count” for the optics modules) likewise will not be fully supported. (If my above suggestion as to what DxO actually does, then a must smaller number of cases must be evaluated, and should allow such full support.)

1 Like

Sadly not yet

I tweeted DXO today and they said “coming soon…”

Don’t complain, guys !
It had never been so close :upside_down_face: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: !

Anyway, I hope DxO won’t be stressed by complaining users and will do their test the best way possible.
Z9 will probably be one of the most used Nikon body since very long time (all Nikon users were waiting for Nikon to pass this step for a long time, and seeing how everyone complains on every forum to get one and how long it is to, it really seems it will be).
I think that to get representative samples for valid tests it is probably better not to rush to fast on the first Z9 that come out and be sure to wait, and pick up in several series (industry, industry …).
I’m not DxO but I think that makes sense.

And I hope they will succeed in cracking as best as possible Nikon specific colors !!!

1 Like

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:But I am on a Windows PC. Otherwise, I use Capture One :grinning:

Maybe another Windows user could dig up a similar tool to MetaImage for Windows. Windows users have so much software, surely there’s a tool which leverages ExifTool to make batch changing Camera Model easy.

I’d hate to be dependent on DxO for prompt support for new camera bodies.

DXO dropped an update for PL5E today, but it is mostly bugfixes, not support for Z9. Obviously they have at least Z9 support in PR2 (only for lossless compressed, same as Capture One, Luminar Neo, On1 RAW 22). So I think it safe to say they must have access to both the camera and some lenses. Getting to HE and HE* may require more than reverse-engineering, since they may have to license the demosaic algorithm from Inno, which has the IP for the Tico-Raw compression algorithm used in the Z9.

I’ve been avoiding (and intend to continue to avoid) any of the Nikon alternative RAW formats to avoid future disappointment. I’d suggest anyone planning to eventually use PhotoLab to develop their Z9 photos (why wait Mac users – MetaImage and Z7 II profiles work just fine) do the same.

This will affect burst speeds and burst depths even with fast cards but the burst depth is pretty good even with the standard RAW format – about 50 or 60 frames with a fast card.

Which update ? Just checked and I only see 5.1.4 since a while now.

I don’t know what track you’re on. The update was to Build 55, designated as 5.1.3 internally.

not that I know of – for Windows the latest is 5.1.4 build 4728

Running Mac OS 12.3

It’s an update for Mac

2 Likes

Ok. Thanx.

as the releases in the past came out on wednesday or thursday: maybe tomorrow?