What might be broken, and how can I correct it?

I took three images with my Leica M8.2 camera, ingested using PhotoMechanic Plus, then tried to open in PhotoLab 4. I got question marks.

I then tried to convert the DNG images using Adobe DNG converter - but those new files also do not work.

I am posting a screen capture showing my preferences - not sure what to do next???

Update: I tried this with photos from my Leica M10, and it worked fine. Strange, I thought PhotoLab used to work find with my M8, but maybe I’ve got it confused with a different program.

Next update - there is no DxO Optics Module for the Leica M8.

Is there a way to “reset” the PhotoLab 4 program to its original settings? I would have liked to have tried that before posting anything here.

Could the lack of an Optics Module be the reason I get the question mark? The M8.2 has a different type of sensor than the M10, and isn’t full frame.

I did a search on the supported camera page. It looks like your M8.2 is not supported :unamused:

You really don’t want to be doing that.

Oops, I’m looking at the Optics Modules right now. I suppose there is nothing that I can do about this? Maybe I move the M8.2 images to Luminar. I had hoped to use PL4 for everything… Oh well.

I have a similar problem with a bunch of images from a Nikon D100 that I used to have.

I agree. I wrote that when I thought PL4 might be confused. I was wrong.
This is sad - I thought Optics Modules just improved things - I didn’t know they were essential. My mistake.

All I did to convert my D100 files was to open them in macOS Preview, then export them to TIFF from there and work on them in PL4

Does that defeat the purpose of shooting in raw? Once it’s a “tiff” file, will the noise correction and other functions work, as they do for raw images? I guess that may be another option.

Being able to edit your image as a tiff file (or jpeg) may be your only option if your camera’s raw file are not supported. Both PRIME and DeepPRIME are only available when processing raw files.

Mark

A better answer for me is to use a different editor for the Leica M8.2 if PL4 is not compatible. I know Lightroom works. I’m trying to see if Luminar works. Then there’s Capture One 20.

I’ve got lots of editors, but was trying to standardize on just one of them. Oh well. I doubt DxO will ever create a file for a ten year old camera.

If they haven’t done it by now that is probably the case.

Mark

What do you mean with this?

George

I thought one possible reason why PL4 couldn’t open my DNG images from my Leica M8.2 was that I had mis-configured something. I now know the real reason - PL4 doesn’t work with images from a Leica M8 or M8.2 camera. Disregard my question - now I understand better.

I guess the same goes for those of us that use old lenses :frowning: (Yes, module requests have been submitted)

More confusion. My Leica only “knows” what lens is on it, if the lens is coded. I’m using lenses from the 1960’s, before coding was ever dreamed of - what difference could it have made with film? My Leica only “thinks” I used a 50mm lens, as I select it manually. I’ll need to see if there is a code for a 90mm lens, like I used yesterday - but regardless, PL4 happily opens the files and lets me work with them.

I wish there was a way to “cheat”, to tell PL4 that my image actually came from a Leica M10, so it would open the image (even if not perfectly).

I was getting more and more frustrated about this, until I re-discovered “Raw Therapee”, an open source image editor (no cost, just donations). I guess all my image editing from my Leica M8 will be done in this new editor, once I re-learn how to use it.

The only remaining question I have for this thread, is how PL4 identifies that a file came from a specific camera. If I knew that, I could possibly cheat, and edit the image, so PL4 would accept it. Then I could turn off the optics corrections, and import the raw image. So, maybe I can ask the following - how can I edit a dng file manually, and alter the camera identification?

There’s something buried in the file’s exif information which details the camera and lens (if it has a built in CPU). If you can find it and manually edit it, you should be able to fool the software…