What are the most important improvements for v5?

Hi
I don’t feel either it should be a top priority, but i guess Dxo has a marketing team that are assessing that kind of questions better than we could do. After all Denoising very hi ISO is rather a niche product with only two main products on the market. Maybe the Dxo team could share with us their aims ?
in anther thread, some gents are asking for ipad developments. When i was travelling (before COVID, a long time ago), photoshop or LR on a android tablet had some interesting functionalities, to share quickly pics on social medias. i Don’t say Dxo should do the same, but if Adobe does it i suppose it is profitable.
Tried to find annual activities report, in which sometimes marketing strategy can be found, but didn’t find it.

Cheers

So you mean a mobile product?
a slimlined product. big point is optical module and deepprime are resource heavy users
and andriodrawfile/HEIC/HIEF -support would be a great part of making that a success.
this would draw a lot of there developmentrecources from the main win10/mac development time.

i don’t know if a touchscreen/tablet mode of the mac and win version is much less problem to build but i think that’s a more lively road to follow. (just hotspot your phone and use the tablet for editing)

I’ve often thought about a KISS (keep it simple) version. Sort of a Photolab Lite aimed at hobbyists who don’t need all the bells and whistles of the pro level version.

photolab essentials?

2 Likes

Even if that 2% number were accurate, that’s a pretty large market. How many people in the world have dedicated DSLR / Mirrorless cameras in the world of go pros and smartphones? Among those 2% (if true) there’d be a significant proportion of users who’d be classed as enthusiasts willing to use premium products traditionally deprived of them. And I find that number quite interesting. For example, from Stack Overflow

" The 2019 Stack Overflow developer survey provides no detail about particular versions of Windows. The desktop operating system share among those identifying as professional developers was:[85]

• Windows: 45.3%
  • macOS: 29.2%
  • Linux: 25.3%
  • BSD/Unix: 0.1%"

I find that a lot more believable looking at people around me. I find the notion that Linux doesn’t have commercial software viability to be extremely naive. As mentioned, Maya, Davinci Resolve, etc. make good money from it. Even niche sectors like Astrophotography with a lot of decent (and linux) options sees considerable sales for Pixel Insight, which is extremely narrow focused, but excellent (the best?) at what it does. These companies aren’t exactly a bunch of idiots wasting somebody else’s money to support Linux - they do so because they make money off it.

Having first party Linux support in the age of .NET Core means using the same core code base with another front end shim to support. This not only makes it accessible to a lot of Linux users, it creates a revenue channel for the company at the cost of a fairly small dev team. I say this having worked in .NET and .NET Core in professional capacity for nearly two decades. This does not detract from Windows or Mac users.

“It still begs the question of just how big is the target customer base for a Linux version of anything.”

In 2019, there were 2 billion laptops, desktops, and servers in the world. If we say 1 billion were servers, that leaves another billion. If 2% of that is Linux, that’s a total market of 20 million. If even 5% of Linux users get a license, that’s 1 million licenses. The 5% figure may be give and take, but these are extreme underestimates. We were always amused by arguments such as yours when people wanted Mac OS ports of software. There’s never a market until there is.

Could it be that in the right panel there are two tabs in order to bring the “global” or the “local” adjustments in the front ?
And if needed… that we can detach them in order to position them like you did on your mockup.

Something a bit annoying right now on macOS is that beautiful de-zoom effect on the palette you move around… it gets tinier when you grab it until you drop it and this makes it impossible to position the palette quickly and nicely on a spot.
What about a bit of magnetism for the palettes ?

1 Like

Chicken & egg. I’d love to switch to Linux, however there are still several critical software packages that I use - including DxO - that don’t have Linux versions…

HSL in local adjustments

Panorama merge

HDR merge

Thanks, love your software— Joan

1 Like

In the meantime, Joan, Affinity does a good job of these tasks, and it’s not very expensive.

Regards, John M

1 Like

Thanks John, I agree that Affinity is great. I have faith though that DXO would do an even better job when working with the raw files to begin with and it would be more convenient to avoid having to go through a tiff file as an intermediate. — Joan

Hi Joan. After an HDR or PANO file is created it will no longer be RAW so you’ll have to use a TIFF as an intermediary file type anyway. As of now you can use PL4 with the DNG “with optical corrections and NR only” output. This allows PL4 to do it’s magic on the RAWs and then send these DNG files to Affinity Photo for the merge action, then back to PL4 for any other processing that you desire. I have used this process on numerous occasions and the results are always excellent.

1 Like

Support for physical control surfaces like Loupedeck would be fantastic.

Thanks Mark, good idea about using dng instead of tiff with Affinity. Will try soon — Joan

1 Like

Mentioned before by many more:

1. combining crop and horizon tool so we can eyeball a horizon… as well as keeping the facility to draw the line across.
  2. keep last used crop size or unconstrained (especially !!) as default

In general I prefer a “last used” to anything “default”
So as soon as I have made a setting, instead of going back to default when PL is next started it should be my “last used” setting, I can always go back to “default” when I want to, by picking that from the drop down list

That’s really interesting, Mark … Do the images come back from Affinity as DNG files too (that PL can then read) ?

John

I just tried this and Affinity treats the DNG files as RAW and insists on saving changes to its own format.

I don’t use this kind of software, yet, but is a stable WB on all images which are merced not critical?
Dng has a kind of floating WB. It changes in different developer applicarions, so is then a 16bit tiff not more precise in colormanagment?

Hi John. To my knowledge no, AP will not export a merged file as DNG, a lot of other file-types but not DNG. In the past I have always used 16-bit TIFF for export back to PL4 and PL4 edits the resulting TIFF with no very nicely.

Joanna, this is true but you can export as 16-bit TIFF before saving(or not) as APPhoto. No DNG export is available.

Hi Peter. I personally have not experienced any WB problems using this procedure but if this is a concern, you could always adjust RAW WB and color rendering on the PL4 DNG and export as 16-bit TIFF to send to AP if you wanted to.

1 Like