Upgraded to PL 5.1 (Elite), now freezing periodically

Hi Mike,
Is it crash or freezing ?

It’s both actually… First it freezes. When it freezes I try to close the app by clicking the close box or right clicking in the task bar and selecting close. Then 30 seconds later it crashes and I get the crash reporter. (And I submit the logs.)

Ok in my case, just freezing and i have to kill the app…

Got another freezing just seconds ago, with rev 5.1.2

1 Like

If you have a few minutes next time it freezes make a few attempts to close the app over the course of two or three minutes and see if the crash reporter comes up. If so submit the logs.

1 Like

I’m Having a simular crash when exporting photo’s to tiff, but my computer totally shutsdown. I ran the DXO photolab dump.exe but because the whole computer shutsdown the .exe wont create a dump file. I have logged a support ticket so I’ll just have to wait for that.

1 Like

Pretty much anytime I export a batch of images and then continue to edit during the export, Photolab crashes within about 2 minutes. I tried to use the PhotolabDump.exe to create logs, and it looked like it was creating the log file and then the log window closed and the log it was creating disappeared so I wasn’t able to submit that way.

Having pretty much the same issue on win10 x64, Ryzen7 3700x, 64GB ram, PCIe3 NVME, gtx3060ti. Pretty frequent in 5.1.2 and previous version, program locks up when exporting a single file(to jpg, I do singles most of the time) or batch when I switch photo or do some editing on that new photo, works fine maybe 80% of the time? Almost always requires me to kill the process, although one time it started responding again after waiting several minutes. Think that was during a ~5 file export (to jpg) that time.

Was able to get a dump file using that .exe, started a new case and uploaded it.

1 Like

Good morning!

Yes, the issue has been created and will be investigated.

• Very good. Thank you. But which name did you use for upload? I can’t find anything with “RabidLama” :frowning:

Thank you,
Regards,
Svetlana G.

ticket #311542
Let me know if you need any more dumps, super easy to replicate the issue. Starting a single or batch of exports and not clicking anything appears to be the only way to get around it.

2 Likes

Anyone else with this issue running the win10 RAW extension to view raws in explorer? If so, try uninstalling it.

That extension would always freeze up an explorer window while it first rendered a directory’s tumbnails, would render thumbnails almost every time and was just a bit janky overall so I uninstalled it. Just did a DxO session of ~60 new images with various edits and 13 final exports, FIXT! Not a single pause let alone locking up anymore.

Hello,

I’m new to the forum, have been a user since Optics Pro 5.1 in 2008. I’m just chiming in to report that I am seeing the same freezing issue on PhotoLab 5.1 (currently 5.1.2, Build 4700). My system:

• AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core
  • ASUS AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT
  • 32 GB 3600MHz RAM
  • 500GB Samsung SSD 980 Pro

I am editing images directly on a Synology NAS, and exported images are written to a different folder on the same NAS. My PC is connected to the NAS through a 10 Gbps fiber optic LAN. Each folder contains between 1000 and 2000 images, stored as both JPG and raw (NEF) files from the camera in the same source folder. I use the filter in DxO to only show the raw files in the UI. I don’t use the DxO Projects, but edit images directly in the folder.

I only see the freezing issue when exporting images. I have seen it freeze when exporting images with NO Prime or DeepPrime applied, so I don’t think there is any correlation there. I have observed that it works fine if I start the export and then don’t touch the DxO UI. It’s only if I continue to interact with the UI while it’s exporting that it freezes. The freeze is more or less random - I can’t identify a particular click in the UI that provokes it, but it always does after a couple of seconds of working with the UI.

When the UI freezes it seems to finish processing the images that it is currently exporting, but once those are done it also stops processing any more images.

I have tried playing with the performance preferences, but nothing seems to change the behaviour.

Sometimes I can unfreeze it by right-clicking the DxO PL icon in the task bar and selecting “Close window”. Then the PL UI shows “An export is currently running. Do you want to stop exporting now?”, and if I click “No” it unfreezes the UI and the export continues. Further interaction with the UI can then re-freeze it.

Hope this helps,

Adam

1 Like

This appears to be exactly the same situation which was (only once, so far) observed by me.
Obviously, this is no matter of the CPU and GPU, neither of the files being stored on local or network drives.

Did you have a look if a crash report was generated in your case?

Hello,

Impressive config you have ! (especially compared to mine Intel Q9450 8GB GPU… HD4850)
So definitely not a performance issue.

I have about same phenomenas

And in my case only one crash report, most of the time i have to kill PL5 in tasks manager ; recently sometimes same message “an export is running” but was not the case at the beginning.
Not systematic for me, sometimes i can export dozens of images before it happens, and once, it happened while exporting the second processed image.

Hope it will be solved quickly in 2022 !

No, there’s no crash dump.

Figured I will join in:
AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16 core
64 GB Ram
Windows 11
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
Triple monitor setup
DXO Photolab 5.v5.1.2 Build 4700
I am experiencing the exact same symptoms.
Alan

Got it. Thank you. I’ll add it to your support ticket to have everything there.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Good morning!

@AlanPototsky and @adamcc could you, please, also collect your dump as recomended here - Upgraded to PL 5.1 (Elite), now freezing periodically - #28 by sgospodarenko create a support ticket and mention there that you collected the dump file.

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.

The dump fails during the zip compression phase, and then deletes the intermediate results. During the second attempt, I copied these to another location while the ZIP was running, to preserve them, and then zipped them manually using 7z.

I uploaded the results just now. Hope this helps.

Let me know if you need another, I think I can generate one every time it freezes.

Thank you. We will do the investigation of the current dump file.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Good morning!

Back to you with the good news - the issue has been fixed and the fix will be delivered with the latest release.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

4 Likes