Upgraded to PL 5.1 (Elite), now freezing periodically

@Man
I think its possible PL is crashing on your system:
2021-12-18 10:46:52.090 | DxO.PhotoLab - 4572 - 1 | ServiceLocator - Info | Initializing service ‘CrashHandlingService’ (init order = 1).
2021-12-18 10:46:52.131 | DxO.PhotoLab - 4572 - 1 | CrashHandler - Info | Register for application recovery
2021-12-18 10:46:52.131 | DxO.PhotoLab - 4572 - 1 | CrashHandler - Info | Starting crash handling service using server ‘https://crashlogs.dxo.com/CollectDumpInfo/WSCollectDump.asmx
2021-12-18 10:46:52.131 | DxO.PhotoLab - 4572 - 1 | CrashHandler - Info | Crash report code: c72c6657-c794-44b3-8c90-6865d8361bdf

Do you have a crash log?
Anything here:
Crash files – %UserProfile%\Documents\DxO PhotoLab 5 crashes

I also see references to FilmPack and Nik.

Your system is running on a 14 year old CPU, 8GB ram and with a non-CL supported GPU. I realize your system meets the minumum requirements, but your asking alot of it.

• Minimum system configuration:

• Any CPU supporting SSE 4.1
      • 8 GB RAM
      • 4 GB available disk space
      • Microsoft® Windows® 10 version 1809 or higher (64-bit, and still supported by Microsoft®)
  • Recommended system configuration:

• Intel® Core™ i7 4th generation or better, or AMD Ryzen™
      • 16 GB RAM
      • 6 GB available disk space
      • Windows® 10 version 2004 or later
      • NVIDIA GTX™ 1060, AMD Radeon™ RX 5500 or better with latest drivers

Your issue does appear to be software related. A crash log might help zero in on the cause. If you want assistance with your issue, I’d open a case with support and submit your logs with your case number, http://upload.dxo.com/

Hi Rick,
No crash log as i said, just very regular freezings. It is new with this version, all was ok before. I don’t use dp so my config not a problem…so far.
Thanks for helping

Hi Mark,

I’ll give a try, thanks for advice. Install went fine but …

By any chance do you know where to find to download 5.0 or 5.1 revisions which were fine.

Wonder why we aren’t asked to test intermediate version as beta testers before it is released …

I don’t think they are readily available but maybe @sgospodarenko can assist you. It seems that most people overlay their previous downloaded software versions, as I assume you have done.

As a result of over 40 years of IT experience, I always save every downloaded version of any software in its own named subfolder in the download folder. While it won’t help with your current situation, I strongly suggest that for future downloads you do something similar. I also save license information for all my software in PDF files. I periodically delete unneeded downloads. For instance, I will shortly delete all the PhotoLab 4 downloads except for the most current version.

In the Download folder I created a DxO folder for all my DxO downloads with subfolders benease it. See the image below…

Mark

5 Likes

I do the same as @mwsilvers for every piece of software I own.

4 Likes

Impressive !
I will from now on !

I reinstalled the 5.1.1 and same story, freezing took maybe a bit longer to happen.
when it happens, PL5 continues to run using a bit of the processor

Regards,

Since upgrading to 5.1 I’m also suffering this issue (now on 5.1.1 build 4696). V5 was ok. If processing a series of Nikon NEF files after about 5 get saved it locks up and I have to force app to end. Any unsaved edits made are set but don’t appear in the applied list.

Good morning!

@Man , @SnapperNeil , @Phossy and @MikeR could you please, take this app DxO.PhotoLabDump.zip (859.3 KB) extract it to your Desktop for example. Then run this app when PL gets frozen. As soon as the dump is collected (it will be stored beside this application), please, provide it to us via upload.dxo.com and let me know when ready.

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

OK. I ran PL 5.1.1 (yes I upgraded again), it froze and then I ran the file you provided. I do not see new file created, so I have nothing to upload.

Hi
You must launch the exe before running PL5.

Thanks. I did that, but still no log created. Maybe it is because it freezes rather than crashes.

Much as I do want to help, I really shouldn’t need to work hard to have a premium product work as it should, especially as it is the cornerstone of a suite of DxO products I have.

Someone from support team has sent me a new link to download the application, so I’ll try and that and see where we go from there.

My 5.1 froze twice on the splash screen. The program was not detected as non responsive. Nothing in the Event viewer. Access denied when trying to kill it.
It did not append again and I had no issue with the 5.1.1 but for those having this issue I suggest to send a memory dump of the dxo.photolab.exe process with the Process Explorer tool and sent the dump file to DxO. The tool is available at Process Explorer - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs

Priviet !

your dump.exe makes the software be kind with me… no freezings today…Except when i wanted to leave the application.

I have sent a dump file, but i am not sure it is same issue i encountered before. (Had to create the dump file manually)

Regards

Maybe this was the same kind of freeze… I just experienced that with 5.1.1, while a DeepPRIME export was being processed and I had changed several settings just to see when the preview would be updated again.

When the export progress bar had reached its end, PL freezed. Absolutely no reaction any more, not even to the close button. The previously processed image still had the turning circle indicator, not the “finished” check mark.

But: When I used the right mouse button on the task bar icon of PL, and selected “close window”, a Dialog was shown by PL, asking if I really wanted to abort the running export process. I clicked on NO and PL was resposive again. At that moment, the “finished” check mark also was shown.

Perhaps the other users might try “close window” in the RMB menu of the task bar icon to verify if this behaviour is reproducible.

Edit: no crash log was generated.

1 Like

Right click on the task bar icon does nothing. No other way to close it for me other than through Task manager. I do see the turning circle freeze though - so it seems to occur at the same point.

1 Like

Hi again,

New one, real one this time

Happened quite quickly after opening PL5. On pic was in export (HQ), i was working on the 2nd image of the day; trying to push shadows with the slider and … FREEZE again.

Note that these are new pics, never processed before.

I triggered the dump manually. No crash report generated (no carsh in fact). Will send the dump file when it is finished.

Regards

PS : this time, “while PL is in the freeze”, the processor is still running over 25 to 30%, as if PL was “prisoner of a loop”.

Crash again today. This time the crash reporter came up and I submitted logs through that facility. The tracking code in the error reporter window is: 530107DE-413C-46C8-89F7-3EECCC1CBA4A

Dump currently uploading.
Couldn’t recreate with existing folder of images so needed a new set.
All working fine until I tried cropping an adjusted image when it froze on me - no Prime or DeepPrime being used on any images.
Thx, N

Good morning guys,

Thank you for the files. We will investigate the issue deeper now.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

Another crash. Same story. This time using the 5.1.2 version.
Crash report submitted again: 530107DE-413C-46C8-89F7-3EECCC1CBA4A

Seems this is happening fairly regularly when the computer is exporting and I’m still making edits to other images.

1 Like