The pure magic of PhotoLab 5

Yes - I too have Nik 3 but it is redundant now that I am on an M1 Mac. When I was thinking of upgrading I realised that I had not actually used the software in weeks, if not months! And like you say, I only ever used it when in Lr/Ps anyway. Now that PL supports X Trans I am trying to move away from Adobe completely, hence some of the discussion of late re a dam. As such Nik is not so important, although I do like Color Efex. My reason for moving, incidentally, has nothing to do with the subscription but everything to do with the progress PL is making.

Agreed, although there is still a gap in the field of fast browsing/culling, database support, keyword lists etc. I suppose we’ll get there in 2-3 years…

1 Like

Indeed. But only being a “hobbyist” my requirements re fast culling are limited, bordering on the irrelevant. Decent dam software would be useful though but I am not going to pay out what Photo Mechanic wants no matter how good it is. It would be a stupid waste of money really. In a lot of ways the PL library is now close to all I need - if only one could create folders from the interface rather than having to dive back into Finder it would probably serve me ok.

NIK dxo free is what i have and because upoint is confusing in use compared by controlpoint, i don’t dive often in NIK.
Detail extractor filter, silver efex, and such i use but most of the color efects i can do in PL. I don’t have any reason to buy latest NIK because i am mostly for one stage editing in raw and rarely export a 16bit tiff to NIK. Yes for B&W confersion.
Filmpack v6 elite that’s an other story. I am trying to decide if i upgrade just to have the latest version or have to justify the money for the changes.

What you say regards the details enhancer in Nik is absolutely right and I have used it a lot in the past, but I would have thought that can be basically achieved by the contrast sliders in PL. They certainly bring out a lot of detail. As for FP, I will upgrade because of the Black Friday price. Its a great deal (the Nik upgrade is as well).

1 Like

:thinking: yes i did it too just now, 39.50 euro for elite great deal and i suppose i am up to date again for years now!
bit of support so to speak.
:partying_face:

I see it that way too, Peter.