Support for Nikon 100-400mmZ Lens

I recently purchased DXO Pure Raw 2 not knowing that the software must support a specific lens in order to for all features of the software to work correctly. There is currently no support for the Nikkor 100-400Z lens. It has been requested.

Support for this lens will obviously be supported at some point, but it is unclear when that will be.

Mark

:point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2:

UnterstĂĽtzte kameras/objektive - DxO :eye: :eye: :eye: :eyeglasses:

I recently complained that the DXO needed to alert customers that DXO PURE RAW 2 was lens specific. In fact, it’s is actually stated on the purchase page. I apologize for the misunderstanding and look forward to future updates.

1 Like

This lens was released quite a while ago and I understand how frustrating it must be that it is not supported yet. It is a bit surprising that an important lens like a Nikon Z 100-400 is taking so long, but please try to be patient. Did you request this lens on the Camera/lens support page? . Here the English language link to that page.

Mark

I don’t know the current delivery situation of Nikon but some lenses were in short supply in the past, or even hold back because of some flaws they wanted to fix first. And since only Nikon Z glass (with AF) is available for Nikon Z that situation will not improve in the short term.

FYI, Viltrox AF lenses are available for Nikon Z mount

In 100-400? :wink:

I believe he was responding to your statement that only Nikon Z glass with AF is available for Nikon Z. And, of course, there are also several third party manual focus prime lenses available with the Z mount, but that is unrelated to your point.

Mark

I believe so, too. Looking at Viltrox’ offer, it appears they just copied the Nikon Z lenses and put and aperture ring in to them which makes me curious if that’s the only control for the aperture (front dial switched off?) or, like Sony and Panasonic and Sigma offering both ways. A bit hard to imagine at this prices…

And all of them are primes. There’s not even a 24-70 something…

And which of them is already supported by DxO? Viltrox is not even listed as lens manufacturer in DxO’s compatibility list…

Don’t get me wrong, the Z-mount is in need for more lens options to choose from - but also in need for copycat Chinese glass? How cool would it be too have something between the overpriced Nikon stuff and the underpriced Viltrox offers? Which are good, if stopped down.

Sorry to go off topic… back to 100-400?

Now, that was a pleasant surprise: On a Z 7, 1st gen., the adapted Tamron 100-400 was not only working (after 9 months of waiting until Tamron came out with a suiting firmware… :disappointed:) but is also recognized by DxO and the lens module does work. Very well, it does.

Also, I occasionally was asking “does a tele lens need lens correction?”. Well, I stand corrected: the Tamron certainly does. And of course, is no match for the 3.300 $ Nikon, at 1/5 of the price. (I did mention that I find Z Nikkors overpriced, didn’t I?)

There are currently four fast manual focus prime lenses for the Z mount made by Cosina/Voigtländer, in Japan. There is also at least one more that will be available shortly. I don’t recall the focal length but I believe it may be a macro lens.

The four current Z mount offerings from Voightlander are a 23mm f/1.2 and 35mm f/1.2 designed for DX Z bodies, and a 35mm f/2 APO and 50mm f/2 APO, both designed for full frame Z mount bodies. Of course, the two DX lenses will give a similar 35mm angle of view when used on a crop Z body.

The APO lenses are somewhat larger and heavier and much sharper wide open, but still only cost a few hundred dollars more. They both have better control over chromatic aberration which is much more evident in the DX lenses. The DX lenses cost between $650 and $700 USD, and the full frame APO lenses cost around $1,000 USD. All four lenses are small, and made of Glass and metal. The DX lenses weigh about 8 1/2 oz. The FX lenses weigh around 13 to 14 oz, I believe.

All four are extremely sharp in the center when stopped down. Not surprisingly, the APO lenses are much sharper towards the edges of the image.

The 50mm f/2 APO may seem expensive to some people for a manual focus prime lens, but it is a stellar piece of glass.

Mark

I know them, a friend uses a couple of them in front of his Sonys. However, 100-400 is a different field and manual focus lenses, as great as they are for non-moving subjects, simply cannot cope for such a zoom and such a range. Or also in dark environments where an AF-module has a better chance to make a quick and good guess, but as ISO is cranking up, the LCD or EVF don’t allow a high rate of good guesses manually. Also, the faster the lens gets and the longer the focal length, the more rare good guesses for “only manual focusing” lenses becomes.

Which of course is not everybody’s subject. I never saw my friend trying to focus on stage scenes, moving dancers in low light, streets at night - but for birds in flight he also relies on his 200-600 AF Sony. Of course, AF also has it’s limitations, but my eyes and focusing skills “beats” each AF in terms of being slower and less precise in fast situations. So, my 3 manual focus lenses are limited for macro stuff. Or being used on a 30 years old Contax.

Thanks for the reply. I have in fact requested the inclusion of the 100-400 lens. In the meantime, since I do use a supported camera (z9), I will continue to use the software without checking the sharpening and lens correction feature boxes. I still prefer the noise reduction feature to Topaz. However, you guys need to work on updating your products as quickly as your competition. Thanks !

“We guys” here are only few DxO employees and the majority of us are simple forum members :wink: but I understand your point well. As I wrote, the Tamron 100-400 is already supported and about 7 (! :flushed: ) versions of the Sigma 100-400, too. Unfortunately, the more interesting part (version, TC or not) only reveals when everything is selected. And your 100-400 Z Nikkor is not even listed :worried:, sorry

I believe dxo relies for its camera/lens support in dxomark.com

George

That is incorrect. DxO Labs, the publisher of PhotoLab, and DxOMark are two different companies having parted ways in 2017. The testing is done by DxO Labs.

Mark

DxOmark is a cellphone testing company.

1 Like

That means I’ve a very big cellphone :grinning:

George