Support for HDR .AVIF Files

I see that Adobe Camera Raw now makes it possible to edit files with more dynamic range and save them as .AVIF files. This is available when working on a computer with an HDR display. Is this coming to Photolab soon?

This is the new meaning of HDR, as defined here: Create and edit true HDR (High Dynamic Range) images - Greg Benz Photography

" Note: “HDR” on this page refers to new display technologies (hardware and software) which allow vastly brighter pixels and truly higher dynamic range output. The name for this new technology is confusing because we’ve used the term “HDR” for years, but now that same name is being used for something completely different."

1 Like

… and the present costs for such a reference screen like Eizo CG3145 → 20.000+ Euro

:ok_hand:

1 Like

Yes. Some are expensive!! But actually many cheaper options are available now. Many phones from all manufactures already display HDR quality. As do many Apple laptops, especially the newest MacBook Pro which displays up to 1600 nits brightness. Same for the new iPad Pro 13." Even my 2 year old $850 MacBook Air, with 400 nits brightness shows an extra stop or two of highight range when I edit RAW photos in the new HDR format available in Adobe Camera RAW. (A better monitor will show 3 or 4 extra stops at the highlight end of the histogram.) It’s very exciting, actually. Give it a try. Your current screen/monitor may be better than you think. Photography is definitey going in this direction. Video is already there.

Stand-alone monitors can be found in the $500 - 3000 range.

For examples: https://gregbenzphotography.com/review-best-hdr-monitor-for-photography/

It would be nice if at some point PhotoLab got on the wagon with this. For now, I can process a RAW file in PhotoLab, as usual, save it as a raw DNG, and then open it in Adobe Camera RAW to unlock additional highlight detail and color. It’s actually quite amazing. The resultant .AVIF files are already supported by Google Chrome, Apple OS Ventura 13.1, some Windows Applications, and are smaller than JPG files. Both Apple and Windows versions of Adobe Camera RAW have the new HDR feature.

1 Like

My goal are prints, not ‘online’ pics, and my Eizo CG 2730 is calibrated for 80 cd/m², 1:500 …

1 Like

HDR photographs will be a niche market for a long time to come. For sharing images we still haven’t moved much from a 8bit jpg.
I wouldn’t expect much support for the idea as many people are interested in prints using monitors adjusted to low brightness settings. I am on 80cd/m2.

The use of calibrated monitors, not only for the creators but for the people who might want to view such images, will be vital as small differences in performance and calibration will become more important.

If you want to view images on your monitor for your self/family/friends then HDR may make sense.
I don’t think the market for this will be particularly large so not warranting this feature being added over other more widely applicable features. Time will tell.

1 Like

After reading the article in the OP’s link, it’s clear that ‘real’ HDR is going to take a while to be available for ‘most’ of us. That said, I assume .AVIF export will be useful to a small but growing number of cutting edge uses.

Well, yes. You are probably all correct. It will take some time.

Since most photos are shared online on social media and websites, not printed; and since HDR monitors are now becoming more common and cheaper, and since phones can already display HDR, it may be sooner than we think.

I still think it is an exciting new developement that ACR now has the tools to edit HDR and save .AVIF.

Yes…“time will tell.”

To amend my prior post here, I do agree with the OP that adding .AVIF export would be a very useful addition for PL and would help future-proof it. Not everyone will want to take advantage, especially short term, but I think the benefits will increase.