Strange behaviour when sending images to Photolab from another program

Hi
I’m using Photolab 5.5.0 Build 4770 on Windows 10 Pro

I think this may be a bug in the current build:

Previously, I could use the “open with” options in FastStone Image Viewer and XNview to send a single images (or a selected few) to Photolab. Photolab would be launched if not already open and the selected image/s would be displayed in the “Customise” tab and its thumbnail strip.

Now, if I send a single image, nothing is displayed in Customise and the thumbnail strip shows “No images selected” … “0 Image”. If I change to “PhotoLibrary” tab, there is my image and flicking back to Customise, my image magically reappears there.
If I send three images, Customise remains blank but I can see the first one in PhotoLibrary. Switching back to Customise, the first image is displayed with all three in the thumbnail strip.

All the images also load OK into Customise from File>Recent Locations.

So Photolab knows it has received images but wont instantly display them as before.

Makes me wonder what FastStone and XNview are doing when they “send” images to PhotoLab. Do they simply replicate the “Open with…” action you get when you right-click on a file in the Windows file explorer? Or do they do something exotic like create their own folder, copy the file(s) you selected to open in PhotoLab there, and then call PhotoLab with this new path to the file(s)? If the latter case, there could be a race condition: PhotoLab gets opened before the files are all copied over.

If all these programs are doing is replicating the “Open with…” context menu action, then try doing that in a file browser (Windows Explorer, FreeCommander, whatever you like to use): right-click on an image file and select the action to open it with PhotoLab. It should work fine, but maybe something’s going on in your case that’s not right.

Mmmm - Interesting !

There certainly is some new “file-management” behaviour in PLv5.5 … Previously, one could successfully move a {RAW+Sidecar/.dop} pair from a folder that PL is currently focused on - - Now, tho (if the move results in the RAW disappearing before the Sidecar/.dop can be moved), PL rapidly launches into “clean-up” mode and obliterates the Sidecar/.dop file !

I wonder if this is related ?

John M

tried it and it looks like this

in Faststone 7.5
Screen Shot 09-28-22 at 09.50 AM

in PL5.5.0_4770

As far as I’m aware using the “Open with” option adds the filename/s as a parameter to the program launch.
Not that I would want to use Windows Explorer, I tried it anyway and selecting “Open” on a single image loads the whole folder into Photolab.

This happens to me too. The .dop file vanishes if I try to move it while Photolab is open.
It’s a real pain to my workflow because I like to tidy up my ‘to be edited’ folder as I work through it.

Then I can’t recreate that destroyed .dop file by re-exporting unless I make a change to the edit.

Yes, this works for me too if I have “PhotoLibrary” selected. I can then switch to “Customise” and carry on with editing.

If I’m editing single images (usually revisiting older files that could be improved with Photolab), my existing workflow was:

1. Select image in viewer program and “open with Photolab”
  2. Image appears in Photolab’s Customise. (I do my editing, export etc)

Then I repeat steps 1 and 2 for as many images as I want.
I never had to leave the Customise tab but now I’m forced to (unnecessarily) visit the PhotoLibrary tab before I can edit each image.

I could add to my original report, the main thing is I’ve been doing it this way for many years and following the recent update it’s stopped working. I’m hoping for a fix, not a workaround.

Exactly the same thing happnes when opening from Nikon NX Studio

I got a silly answer from DXO:

“Greetings,
DxO PhotoLab 5 is not supported for use with any of the software you mentioned, our apologies. You would need to contact those companies to find out why they are incompatible with our files.
regards,
Riley - DxO Labs Support Team”

But these other tools are not “incompatible with our files” - DXO has per ver. 5.5 stopped listening to them. It seems I have to change my work flow or stop using DXO PL … It worked perfectly under DXO Optics Pro Elite and under DXO PL until I upgraded to ver. 5.5 :frowning:

“these other tools” mean: Nikon NX Studio, XnView and Faststone Image Viewer.

No problem here to select a file in an external program*) and from there open / edit in PL 5.5.0_4770.
PL opens the file in Customize, that is, I don’t have to go to External Selections first.

*) checked with

1. Fast Stone Image Viewer
  2. IrfanView
  3. Nikon NX Studio

grafik

Weird that it works for and not for me and David, wonder why. Gives some hope anyway :slight_smile:

It’s been working the way I want (opening in Customise) since DxO Optics Pro 8 until the most recent PL update.

My reluctant workaround is to toggle into PhotoLibrary and back to Customise by holding down Ctrl and hitting F1 then F2.

Obviously from this, Photolab has received the file from the “Open with…” submitted by the external program. Just that (for me) it fails to display it instantly.

I remember a bug in the recent past that only affected people (including me) who had the thumbnail strip minimised. I think it caused a crash iirc. That is perhaps why “Open with” is working for some and not others. Some perhaps unconnected difference in the users workspace setup might be involved.

I’ll probably fail to randomnly discover how to fix things by myself. I even tried reinstalling the program from scratch, database, cache, everything gone. I just hope that someone from DxO’s technical team will investigate this and find the problem.

There are two bugs in this thread though as there is also the inabilty to move .dop files with an external file manager while PL is open (the .dop file vanishes if you try).
Again I’m reminded of an earlier bug, where I couldn’t open an exported .tif in Photoshop while PL was running. That bug was fixed - something to do with ‘releasing’ the file.
So technical guys, please fix this too.

I am having no issues opening images sent to PhotoLab 5.5 from Faststone Image Viewer 7.7, from Windows Explorer, and from my preferred file manager, Directory Opus 12.29

Mark

A small note that may help a little, David … You can also toggle between those 2 modes via {Ctrl+Tab} - it’s a bit faster/simpler.

John M

Thank you John. That’s an easy one-handed toggle.

David McA

1 Like

I have the same experience with opening files from Breezebrowser, with a command line editor set to C:\Program Files\DxO\DxO PhotoLab 5\DxO.PhotoLab.exe (build 4770)

No file is displayed any more in the customize tab, but going to the "PhotoLibrary” tab and back to “Customise” tab lets the image appear, as you pointed out.

Opening files with the windows explorer “open” command works as per expectation (but PL loads the complete directory, with slows down my workflow).

The thing is that I tried the same with an older version of Photolab 4, and it has the same culprit.

My expectation is that a recent Windows pro 10 update introduces an incompatibility with PL.

Same issue here with PL 5.5, I am using AcdSee and I configured Photolab as external editor. Previous versions used to work well. The problem started after the update to 5.5

FWIW: I’m not experiencing this problem.

I can happily launch PLv5.5 with an image I’m viewing via Irfan.

Can also launch PLv5.5 with multiple images via Irfan.

John M

Hello, we did a quick test and could not reproduce it so far. Could you share a full screencast of the problem?

Hi
I can confirm that this problem persists for me in Photolab 6

It had been suggested earlier in this thread that this could be a problem relating to a recent Windows update.
Info: I am using Windows 10 Pro, version 21H2

Screenshots: I hope this is OK instead of full screencast as my only interaction with Photolab is switching between Customise and PhotoLibrary tabs.

1. DxO Photolab opens in “Customise” after being sent 3 Raw image files (filter set to Raw only)

2. I switch to “PhotoLibrary”

3. I switch back to “Customise”

I had a look at DxO PhotoLab 6 logs/DxO.PhotoLab.txt and discovered the following lines entered at the time I sent the files to Photolab (Screenshot 1):

2022-10-07 09:47:07.747 | DxO.PhotoLab - 6352 - 1 | DxOFramework - Error | FindImageIFD: No valid IFDs found in the image.
2022-10-07 09:47:07.747 | DxO.PhotoLab - 6352 - 1 | DxOFramework - Error | FindImageIFD: No valid IFDs found in the image.
2022-10-07 09:47:07.747 | DxO.PhotoLab - 6352 - 1 | DxOFramework - Error | GetMainImageIFD: rawIFD was not found.
2022-10-07 09:47:07.747 | DxO.PhotoLab - 6352 - 1 | DxOFramework - Error | GetMainImageIFD: rawIFD was not found.
2022-10-07 09:47:07.747 | DxO.PhotoLab - 10944 - 1 | PhotoLab - Info | The command has been sent to the remote instance with the base URI 6352-Local\{EEE4B825-7DB2-40B8-B475-CAC0B7A6B044}
2022-10-07 09:47:07.747 | DxO.PhotoLab - 10944 - 1 | PhotoLab - Info | The command has been sent to the remote instance with the base URI 6352-Local\{EEE4B825-7DB2-40B8-B475-CAC0B7A6B044}
2022-10-07 09:47:07.793 | DxO.PhotoLab - 6352 - 1 | DxOFramework - Error | FindImageIFD: No valid IFDs found in the image.
2022-10-07 09:47:07.793 | DxO.PhotoLab - 6352 - 1 | DxOFramework - Error | FindImageIFD: No valid IFDs found in the image.
2022-10-07 09:47:07.793 | DxO.PhotoLab - 6352 - 1 | DxOFramework - Error | GetMainImageIFD: rawIFD was not found.
2022-10-07 09:47:07.793 | DxO.PhotoLab - 6352 - 1 | DxOFramework - Error | GetMainImageIFD: rawIFD was not found.
2022-10-07 09:47:07.963 | DxO.PhotoLab - 6352 - 96 | Database - Info | Profiling DxO.PhotoLab.Database.DOPDB.SaveChanges :    0 ms
2022-10-07 09:47:07.963 | DxO.PhotoLab - 6352 - 96 | Analytics - Warn | DataHolder already contains key: List type
2022-10-07 09:47:07.963 | DxO.PhotoLab - 6352 - 96 | Database - Info | Profiling DxO.PhotoLab.Database.DOPDB.SaveChanges :    0 ms
2022-10-07 09:47:29.144 | DxO.PhotoLab - 6352 - 109 | Database - Info | Profiling DxO.PhotoLab.Database.DOPDB.SaveChanges :    0 ms

David McA