Sony A7RII with Canon lens, module available, but not recognized?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has been using Photolab 3 with the Sony A7RII (or other Sony body) and a Canon lens (with converter)?
There are lens modules available for the Sony A7RII and quite a few Canon lenses. I use the Canon 400DOII with 1.4TC or 2.0TC, and when processing a .tiff image generated by CO1 in Photolab 3, I was prompted that there was a lens module available for that image, taken with the Sony A7RII and Canon 400mmDOII+2.0TC.
I downloaded/installed the module and it was applied. But the original .ARW raw files ánd the .tiff files created in DxO Photolab do nót recognize the lens module.
I compared image lens metadata, and the lens as reported in the DxO raw and .tiff images, says “400mmf4”, whilst in the .tiff generated by CO1, it says “Canon EF400mm f/4 DO II USM with EF 2x III” which is the proper lens info.

To get DxO to recognize the lens, I can strip the Sony “maker notes” from the .tiff image (with exiftool), and add the CO1 lens info text in a “XMP-aux” field, just like CO1 appears to do. Somehow, DxO Photolab then uses that field to determine the lens used. But ónly if the Sony maker notes are stripped from the exif, if not, then the lens reads '400mm f4" again, and the module is not active. On a side note: I found that CO1 indeed strips the maker notes from the image when generating a .tiff image, but DxO keeps the maker notes when generating a .tiff image.

But apart from that only being to determine what is going on (not a practical solution), that is not possible in a raw file, where the maker notes are neccessary and cannot be stripped.
To complicate things further, Adobe bridge reports the lens model on all three types of images (raw, CO1 .tiff and DxO .tiff) as “DT 400mm f4 SAM” which can also be found in the exif data with exiftool.

So to summarize: DxO knows the camera: Sony A7RII, knows the lens: 400mmf4, knows the focal length: 800mm, but cannot connect the lens module, perhaps because the Sony maker notes lens field omits “Canon” from the lens info, and DxO prioritizes the maker notes lens info above other exif fields?

I use the Sigma mc-11 as adapter. Has anyone gotten DXO to recognize the lens module for the images from Sony cameras with Canon lenses? The modules áre after all available for download on the DxO website.

edit: I found with exiftool, that the maker notes of the Sony A7RII dó in fact contain a “lenstype” field that says “Canon 400mm f/4 DO II USM + Canon EF adapter”. It does not specify either 1.4 or 2.0 adapter, but that can be read from the focal length I assume. So there should not be a real problem for DxO Photolab to recognize and apply the available lens module. So should this be reported as a bug?

Chris

Hello @Chris1966,

Thank you for the report. @Marie could you, please, have a look?

Thank you,
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hello @Chris1966,

Exif and Metadata information are not always correctly transferred through the ring adaptor, especially when a TC is used. Sometimes we have to look for other tag than usual ones to identify correctly a lens.
We couldn’t have tested all Sony cameras + Canon mount lenses combination so we might have missed some cases.
We are working to improve that so if you can provide us a couple of examples (JPG from the camera are enough) it would help us.

Regards,
Marie

Thanks for the quick response!
As I opened a support case for this as well, should I upload the .jpg images as an addition to my support case? One with only the 400DOII, one with the 400DOII + 1.4TC, and one with the 400DOII + 2.0TC?

Chris

• Yes, please and the ID of your support ticket will be helpful as well.

Thank you,
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hello Svetlana and Marie,

I uploaded three jpeg files taken with the Sony A7RII and the Canon 400DOII, with either converter 1.4TC or 2.0TC as well as without converter. I uploaded them to the link received for support case #199286.
I hope support for the lens modules can be added.

EDIT: I just tested myself in Photolab 3, and the only image for which the lensmodule is enabled, is the image of the Sony A7RII + Canon 400DOII without a teleconverter. In this image the lens is correctly recognized, But as soon as a teleconverter is added, the lensmodule is no longer enabled.

Many thanks!
Chris

Hello @Chris1966 ,

we got iamges, thanks a lot.
I’ve passed them to team in charge of that issue.

regards,
Marie

Hello Marie,

I’ve supplied your technical staff with an image and neccessary information, but have not heard back since.
Could you provide me with an update?

Thanks
Chris

Wow,

Again 6 weeks later, and no response, nor a solution.
Did I request something impossible or something taking up hours and hours to correct? It seemed a fairly easy correction in metadata reading to me, easily solved in a future update, but apparently not…

Hello @Chris1966,

Probably, @Marie did not see your messages (if you need a quick respond it’s better use @, in this case we’ll get notification).

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hello,

I’m sorry I didn’t answer.
Developpers haven’t had time to work again on lens identification for Canon lenses mounted on Sony cameras. They will do in coming weeks.
By the way lens identification on Sony cameras was never easy apart FE lenses (for them Sony has improved data provided) and so for lenses that are not from Sony we sometimes end up with mixed information or wrong ones and these are the ones we need to try to correct.

Regards,
Marie