Sony a7iii with Canon glass

Leaving aside the quality of the results, does PL recognize and process the combination of a Canon lens attached a Sony body like the a7iii ? Does the model of the adapter make a difference?

Been a long time Canon user with several nice Canon lenses. With the Sony a7iii having some nice sought after features, will PL handle the resulting files?

2 Likes

Hello markui,

we are working on support of lenses with Canon mount on Sony cameras. If everything goes well they should be added in June.
Measures will be fine but the tricky part is Exif information, it’s a problem if on some lenses they can be different as they are when the lens is mounted on a Canon camera.

Regards,
Marie

2 Likes

I’d suggest checking for adapter presence first in EXIF and the keeping a table of the lens names when on each adapter. There’s only two adapters DxO would have to cover: Sigma MC-11 and Metabones IV/V (identical internally) as the rest are next to useless – not the sort of trash DxO PhotoLab users would bother with.

If the community can help you with EXIF reports, please let us know. I have a Sony A7 III here and a lot of good Canon glass, both modern telephoto and older primes.

Don’t worry we have a lot of lenses to test :slight_smile:

We have the Sigma MC-11 so the tests will be done with it. We will do more tests with Metabones IV/V later but it will be probably after modules release so I hope there won’t be any problems.

Regards,
Marie

2 Likes

Marie, thanks for the progress report. I’m a Sigma MC-11 user and from what I can tell most serious adapters have moved over to the MC-11 from early preference for the Metabones. The MC-11 is more robustly built and simpler to use (no two modes and flash lights and extra buttons) and at least equally effective, particularly with Sony firmware 3.0.

I’m up to date on this as I seriously considered picking up a second hand Metabones V recently. Research indicated adding the Metabones would just be a headache, with no clear performance improvement with any category of lens. Most people bought the MC-11 as not only was it better built, it’s always been far more reasonably priced new.

In short, there’s no need from me for Metabones tests.

1 Like

I love Photolabs and I am looking forward to the support of lenses with Canon mount on Sony cameras. I have the A7R II with the MC-11 adapter and several Canon lenses.

Thanks,
Edwin

1 Like

Hello Edwin,

Welcome to DxO forum :slight_smile:

We are working on correction profiles for Canon mount lenses on Sony A7/A9/… cameras. We sould be able to release them in June or in July.

Regards,
Marie

2 Likes

Hello,

we have worked on optical correction for lenses with Sigma MC11, it’s fine but we are still working on Exif as we don’t get correct information of lens used. So it will take a bit longer than expected and I’m not sure all lenses will be corroctly detected.

To help us on that if some of you (@EdwinGerritsen, @uncoy, @markui) have images to spare with us it would be great. (1 or 2 per lens you have mounted with the MC11)

Regards,
Marie

2 Likes

Hi
What is the status about Sigma MC-11 support?
Because I’m using a lot EF CANON and TAMRON on my Sony a9 and I can’t use Photolab correctly :frowning:
Thanks
Laurent

Hello,

Dev team is working on lens identification (so we can match the right lens correction profile to images).
We expect to have it in next release planned in autumn.

Regards,
Marie