Request for PhotoLab support for the Olympus 150-400 f4.5 Lens

Hello,

It is planned but I don’t have a date yet, sorry.

Regards,
Marie

1 Like

Marie, I contacted Olympus Pro support about this issue and they adviced You (DxO) to contact Olympus technical team directly in order them to provide DxO a lens for testing and measuring.

Don’t worry, I’ve already requested to Olympus but even like that it’s a bit complicated for that precise lens.
I won’t give up, we will support it :wink:

1 Like

Well I believe you have done that all ready. Just wanted to make sure :slight_smile: We all really hope that it will eventually be supported, because getting highest possible quality out of that lens needs a software like DxO PL.

Don’t worry, we will support it.
But I hope that a lens of that price doesn’t need too much correction from our Optic modules, it would be disappointing :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Without a lens profile I find DXO Photolab unusable for that lens, however good it may be. I am finding that opening the raw in Olympus Workspace and exporting as a tiff to use in DXO yield much more detail than using DXO to open the raw.

It’s not that the lens would need much of correction but rather the other applications being unable to dig the finest details out from the Olympus raw information. DxO can do that, but the profile is needed in order that to work properly. In the meantime alternatives has to be utilizised. More complicated procedure and not so good quality outputs. Happy that DxO is trying anyway. Thank’s for that.

1 Like

It remains the case that it takes a lot more work outside DXO to get the sharpening / noise reduction effect that DXO creates when it has an optics module for a lens. That’s a good thing because it shows that the technology and IP within PhotoLab is a real USP.

Surely OMDS must have a lens that they can lend you for the week you need to make measurements?

1 Like

I hate to beat a dead horse, but any update here?

3 Likes

Hello,

we are still looking to get the lens to be able to do its support.
I’ll keep you updated.

Regards,
Marie

1 Like

Thanks @Marie! I appreciate the update. I’ll ping OMDS France again on this as well.

2 Likes

Hello, now I am lucky owner of this lens. Previously I had olympus 300/4 - it was great lens but using module from DxO PhotoLab really improved my photos taken by this lens. Now photos from 150-400 are not so good without specific module from DxO PhotoLab :sleepy: (from Olympus free software photos are better/sharper but this software has not so good functions as DxO) - so I hope for its support. Please, do it!
Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

I’m right there with you. Really hoping for that 150-400 module soon!!!

3 Likes

Count me in.

2 Likes

Like others, I have been waiting for this for months now. Given DxO is a great product for M4/3 system due to the noise reduction, but DxO will not support the flagship wildlife lens, this is really frustrating; as others have said, sharpening raws is a real fail without dedicated lens support. At the moment the quality of my 300 Olympus lens outputs is, in general, much better than the much more expensive 150-400 for this sole reason. If I were a pro I would undoubtedly have given up on DxO at this point.

4 Likes

For the time being I suggest you try opening the raws in Olympus Workspace, add a little sharpening and export as a tiff to open in DXO. A faff admittedly but good results. Come on DXO this delay is ridiculous.

that is what I have been doing when necessary but you can’t run prime on a tiff. More recently I have bitten the bullet and bought topaz with results varying from nothing to good, but that is really the start of the slipery slope away from DxO isn’t it…

I’m afraid so. Prime NR for m43 sensors is one of the key elements of DXO. Their complacency with support for premium lenses is frustrating. Still waiting for teleconverter support profiles with the Canon EF 400 f/2.8 mk3. They can’t blame lack of availability for that one.

I agree, I use PhotoLab because it can create great results… but only when it has a calibrated lens module.

DXO, please push OMDS harder to get a lens, after all, you only need it for a week according to a previous post. Surely OMDS can be persuaded given that many users will benefit and that these enthusiasts have each paid a substantial amount for the lens?

Best wishes, Peter

1 Like

Hi Stuart,

@Marie has stated repeatedly that DxO PhotoLab will support the Olympus M.Zuiko 150-400mm f/4.5 TC1.25x IS PRO. They’re just waiting to get a loaner from OMDS who, per my own convo with them, only have a single loaner copy which was out with their ambassadors.

I was one of the lucky photographers who got their lens in February, and have been patiently waiting for a profile ever since. I really hope we will see a profile before the end of 2021.

1 Like