reduced resolution in <70% viewing?

Sorry if this has already been discussed, I am a newbie here.

With both PL4 and now PL5 I observe that viewing images at 70% or less results in significantly reduced resolution. Is that something wrong with my setup? So far as I am able to judge it does not affect exports, it’s just annoying as I think I have a less that sharp image.

This caught me out when I first started too. They do it on purpose - you have to zoom to >75% to see the details, and even then it doesn’t show DeepPrime NR apart from in the little window in the palette.

It’s on p168 of the manual!

• Sharpness: sharpens or reduces the sharpness in the adjustment mask. To check the results on the screen, zoom in to at least 75%.

In addition to Prime and DeepPrime NR you also can not see the effects of Lens Sharpness, Chromatic Aberration correction or Unsharp Mask when your magnification level is below 75%. Try this: At fit to screen zoom level slide the Global Lens Sharpening up to about 1.0, then zoom to 100% to see the W :flushed: W factor.
Think your photo is not sharp? Think again. :grin:

1 Like

Thanks. It is a bit of a revelation to see the photos at 75% just spring in to sharpness. I guess we jut have to get used to it

tom

It’s either that or have to wait longer for an image to fully render every time you make a change at a lesser magnification :wink:

What’s needed is a rendered preview we can work on. When we select DeepPrime there should be an option to render a preview we can then use to do the rest of the processing. As of now, especially with high ISO images with noise, which is where DeepPrime shines, when for instance we apply a FilmPack preset with grain, what’s on screen is SOOO far off from what will render, that it’s just not workable.

Export to DNG NR and Optical Corrections Only. Then continue editing on the DNG.

1 Like

Actually, there is, as recommended by DxO for that precise purpose. You can use the Export to DNG (Optical corrections only).

Before exporting using this option ensure you have applied edits for DeepPrime, Lens Sharpness, Vignetting, Lens Distortion and Chromatic Aberration. They are the only settings that will be applied to the output DNG using this export.

After exporting you can apply all your additional edits to the DNG file and will be able to see the results of sharpening, DeepPrime and the other optical settings at any zoom level as you work.

Keep in mind that while Lens Sharpness is applied during this export, edits using the Unsharp mask are not.

This approach works quite well, and as an added benefit, any additional exports will process much faster since DeepPRIME has already been applied.

If, like many, you generally use the default values for the optical settings, you can apply them to batch of images and walk away until the export completes. I think the DNG created using this export may be what you want.

Mark

1 Like

True, that’s a workaround.

But do we really need to create a new file on a harddrive? Wouldn’t it be better just to do this in RAM as part of the workflow on that image? I see “correction preview” in the upper left hand corner; but when I select the WB picker I get “full preview” in the lower left hand corner for some reason, can’t we just have a “permanent full preview switch” that renders “optical and NR” in RAM?

Each time such a question is raised, I notice that there are many “just do…” answers, but there are MANY of these quirks where we need to “just do…(something convoluted requiring extra steps)”.

I’d really like to avoid an extra temporary DNG file for each image on my harddrive and in my Lighroom catalog. We’re heading towards 40 to 100Mp files coming out of our cameras…I’d rather avoid needing 1GB of space per image due to multple temporary copies…

And also, once we have converted to DNG and opened again in PL5 we cannot export to DNG “all corrections applied” to Lightroom anymore, only to tiff.

1 Like

I understand what you are saying and these are all good points, but storage is so cheap these days that extra files don’t bother me. I have a 4TB external drive that houses my entire very large photo library. I also have a very large video library that I use professionally housed here. I have not quite used an entire TB yet.

My workflow is different from yours and you may have need to house your photo library internally and I understand that. However a full preview at fit-to-screen resolution would require the full export time of DeepPrime for every adjustment that is made in customize.

Unless they are somehow able to make DeepPrime A LOT faster or somehow finagle a way to create a DP preview without going through the entire process, I don’t think that full preview is going to happen.

I didn’t think of it that way. Whatever the method, a file must be loaded in RAM to work with. So why wouldn’t we generate a full corrected preview in RAM instead, when loading the image (or upon demand?)

Currently, what I see in the correction preview is so completely different from the export that it’s almost impossible to do fine edits. Including when NOT using DeepPrime! Way to soft and unsharp, and with grain from FP6 interfering with noise from high ISO files in a way that we cannot judge if the parameters are set correctly. That should be adressed by the software itself, not by forcing the end user into workarounds like generating ourselves the necessary intermediate helper files

1 Like

that’s why it’s recommended to ‘judge’ grain in 100% view

100% view doesn’t change anything here. Preview remains dramatically inacurate… I sent screenshots to support some weeks ago but didn’t hear back.

1 Like

Count me in to the number of users who want this fixed!

1 Like