Recognizing Sony 24-70 GM

I have a set of images that when imported into PL3.1 note that I need to download the correct lens module. These images were shot with a Sony A7RM4 and the Sony 24-70 GM lens. The software doesn’t recognize the Sony lens and offers me modules for other 24-70 lenses (from Canon, Sigma, etc.). I had to manually download the Sony 24-70 GM module. I have opened a support ticket for this but others may run into the same issue. In the past, DxO has correctly recognized lenses; this time it misses completely.

David

hello @HamsterDR,

can you upload an image done with the Sony A7RM4 and the Sony 24-70 GM lens ? So we can investigate and correct the identification issue ?

Regards,
Marie

The image is too large to upload via the forum. I can send it via email (if you give me an email address) or send it via WeTransfer, if you prefer.

David

Hello David,

some info on how to upload big files.
https://forum.dxo.com/t/how-to-upload-big-files/349

Sigi

That page doesn’t exist.

Hi,

here how to do:
In case you need to upload big files for your bug reports you can upload your files to our file server at the following URL:
http://upload.dxo.com

Please, fill in all the fields.
In “Support ticket number” field you should write your Forum User Name. Please, make a note in your bug report to confirm that the files are available on our server.

Thanks. The file was uploaded (59 MB Compressed RAW).

David

Hello @HamsterDR,

can you provide me your support ticket number ? And name of foder you put images on ftp ?

Regards,
Marie

1. I just uploaded it - didn’t specify a folder.

David

Hello David,

Thanks for image.
PhotoLab propose, among other lenses, the Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM. So there is no problem to use it if you don’t download other modules.

But for next modules release, to be in January, we will correct the behavior so the Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM will be better identified and not propose other 24-70mm F2.8 lenses. I thank you to have notified this issue, it was a mistake in our lenses database.

Regards,
Marie

This issue is resolved for me now and the correct lens is being assigned to my images.

I thought others might like to see a more detailed explanation for what happened from DxO Customer Support. (I got very good service and am happy with the response.)

David

From Support:

Thank you, David. We did find the image file. Here is what is happening. What you are seeing is an event called an ambiguity in the program. In very rare cases, the optical qualities of one lens can be very close to, or exactly the same as, one or more other lenses currently supported by the program. When this occurs, it mostly happens because the same lens can be manufactured by one company and then resold under other brand names and model numbers. Additionally, some versions of lenses do not make any optical changes to a previous model of the same lens, but may add a non-optical feature to the lens, such as vibration reduction. PhotoLab does not just use information stored in the EXIF area of the file about the camera and lens, but it also does an extensive analysis of the optical characteristics of each image to determine exactly what correction code to use to deliver the best results. In this situation, there is no way for the program to automatically resolve the ambiguity based on the information it has to work with from the lens.

When an ambiguity happens, and the program can use one or more lenses, as is the case here, the download window listing a number of possible camera+lens choices will be presented to you. You can then download and install the correct lens for use with your camera’s photos. We noticed that the Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM lens is one of the selections on the list using the latest version of DxO PhotoLab 3. When we clicked on its Download button, the module was downloaded, installed and used for the photo you sent to us. A restart of the program did not result in the display of the additional lens combinations being presented any more. The proper module was applied to the photo.

DxO PhotoLab does not work like other post-production programs. It does a lot of corrections and adjustments for you automatically, and it does them in a highly precise manner. Because of this, the EXIF data does not provide enough information to properly select the module and code section within the module to use. The program needs to take both the EXIF data and the information in the photo section into consideration.

Thank you for contacting DxO Customer Support.