RAW images initially load clear, and then snap to blurry

That is the key. Extrapolated sharpness is not a representative preview when zooming out. It is only an approximation which, as a result can often looks very different from exported images. Since extrapolated sharpness is not completely accurate, viewing it at lower zoom settings when editing doesn’t provide a lot of value.

Mark

The ‘problem’ in question set aside – you are not using DxO anymore but still posting ??

I’m trying to understand this. Does the image have to be exported as a jpg or tiff to see what it truly looks like with sharpening and the other corrections you mentioned?

Thanks, Rod

When editing images using Lens sharpness, the Unsharp mask, Chromatic aberration, and Moire, those edits are only visible when you are viewing an image at 75% zoom and above. This is documented on each of those controls.

To view the effects of these specific adjustments at less than 75% zoom they need to be exported to DNG, TIFF or JPEG.

Mark

1 Like

What a joke. You can rationalize and re-rationalize it, but at the end of the day we’ve got nothing but a bunch of DXO shills handing out pseudo-intellectual trash about “the way DXO works”. There is NO EXCUSE, and it’s still a defective product that I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. I cannot even recommend this broken product to beginners, not even for the most basic of editing needs.

Thanks for the prompt reply Mark.

In reading trough this thread and from using PL4 & 5 I understand how DXO works in this regard. What I’m really confused about is it has been said that to show the corrections at less than 100% in PL or other editors what we see js not accurate. Why can it be accurate (I assume it is) in a DNG, TIFF or JPG but not in the editing view? Is this because most editors don’t demosaic and apply all corrections to the viewed image as you are progressing in edit mode, or because it would be too slow to show the entire corrected image? If this is the case then we really have a false view of our image during the process. (BTW, I love PL! :slight_smile: )

Thanks again, Rod

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. However, after the release of 16 versions of PhotoLab and its predecessor, OpticsPro, licensed to many, many thousands of happy users, and the scores of professional reviews which always give PhotoLab high marks, it appears that you are in a small minority. Since you indicated that you stopped using DxO products some time ago, I wonder why you still take the time to troll this site.

With regards to your personal remarks, I can only say that the “issue” you describe doesn’t seem to bother many people and it is never mentioned in reviews. I took the time to explain the rational for DxO’s approach to the uninitiated. If educating people makes me a shill, that is fine with me.

Like many I noticed the lack of sharpening below 75% zoom when I started using PhotoLab 1 in 2017. I quickly understood the reason behind it and it has not bothered me since. If you like seeing the effect of inaccurate sharpening below 100% zoom in other software continue to enjoy it.

Mark

5 Likes

The preview provided by PL5 at <75% IS IN NO WAY BLURRY. It is a little less sharp than the preview at >75%. Even this can be avoided by exporting to DNG with the "Export with NR and lens corrections only option.

@aaron321 does not know what he is talking about. Ignore this troll or better yet block him.

4 Likes

If you don’t like this software, move on!

4 Likes

Oh, I know what I’m talking about, alright. It’s all been proven already.

Clearly you are having a problem that other people are not. That is unfortunate and I can’t suggest a resolution.

Mark

That’s lovely, but I really don’t appreciate the condescending attitude, as well as your shallow attempts at stepping into this completely legitimate discussion thread (that you have no business participating in) in your personal efforts to derail the thread with nonsense. If you had ANY knowledge, or even respect whatsoever about this topic, or WHY people have something to say about products, you would not be commenting in the way that you do. Next comment from you gets blocked. Just go away.

I have been a user of PhotoLab for well over 4 years. I use it almost every day. I know and regularly use virtually every feature in Photolab, Viewpoint and FilmPack. I have successfully helped others resolve issues hundreds of times over that period. I never suggested that you weren’t having an issue, however it apparently is not a common one. I have never experienced any of my many thousands of raw images becoming blurry. I and others have explained how the effects of sharpening and a few other adjustments are only visible during editing when viewed at 75% zoom or greater. Just as you indicated you know what you are talking about, I can also clearly state I know what I am talking about.

This forum is opened to comments from all members, I have every right to participate in this thread. If facts are “nonsense” I stand convicted. I am genuinely sorry that PhotoLab does not meet your expectations. I have significant experience with almost all of PhotoLab’s competitors and it certainly meets my expectations. At a certain point, perhaps, you should consider moving on.

Mark

5 Likes

As I use high pixel density displays I experience the same issue, it’s really annoying. Maybe years ago this would not be a problem but with macbook display it’s a big issue. As I wanted my next move to be a 5k dislpay I’m not sure I will be able to use dxo: it’s bad enough on small laptop screen and I expect it to be a nightmare on something like LG Ultrafine. Really hope dxo will look into it and will allow an option to see corrections on zoomed out preview. I would toggle this function even if it slowed down the editor

1 Like

I have not bothered by this topic that much so far, as I have been using a low-resolution screen. But now I have a 4k screen, and whooa, that is really bothering me.

It is not only the sharpness that is not correctly displayed. What bothers me even more is that any optical corrections are not applied. Look at this purple fringing in the image, if I want to have a look at the image in the whole view. It is almost impossible to look at, it is that bad.

And I would not say that performance is an argument. The laptop that I am using right now is quite weak and I do not notice much of a difference zooming in from 75% and higher.

Please DXO, do something about this! Give users at least a choice. You are giving users more and more arguments to switch to other software.

2 Likes

Yes, it seems that with 4K/5K screens (which are becoming the norm for professional use) the problem has become very noticeable. Myself, I started noticing (and heavily) exactly since I started using 4K monitors.

1 Like

Bringing this up back once in a while…

70% zoom:

75% zoom:

Completely different rendition of color saturation…

2 Likes