Question: Dfine versus PL Prime Noise Reduction?

Given we have the excellent Prime NR tool available to us in PhotoLab … Why would one want to use (Nik Collection tool) Dfine ?

In other words, can I completely ignore Dfine … or, are there situations where it might be useful - or perhaps even better than Prime NR ?

Given the fact that Dfine2 is working on jpeg and tiff you should compare it with HQ not Prime.

ive tested in prime default luminance 40 and default Dfine automated profile after that , which is the same as luminance 90 of prime.
export inside dxo as tiff.
That’s why i asked for some additional tutorial in using Prime control.

I don’t care about luminance noise that much and set the slider to 20 in my presets. Settings for Chroma noise is usually at 100. I almost never use PRIME and if I do, I often reinsert some grain trough the respective tool.

If noise gets too bad, I go b/w which tolerates more noise.

Background: My roots are in silver halide, where a well groomed grain is usually appreciated.

I’ve not yet tried Dfine, but have been actively involved in troubleshooting noise patterns that occur in bands - for example, the interference recorded by many Sony-made sensors with the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 pancake lens. Dfine2 is known to be able to reduce or eliminate those noise patterns. I’ve yet to see anyone succeed with PhotoLab/OpticsPro.

i did some 6400iso with prime to tif 16b and dfine looks great. both on default auto.
can get the same result by slider luminace to 80 or higher %

1 Like