Question about DCO rating

I have a question about DXO rating
Let’s say you have a camera sensor rated 86 and a lens rated 30. What is the overall rating?
Is it 116/2 or other ? Thanks

DXO has been two separate companies for a couple of years. DXOMark does the camera and lens ratings while DXO Labs develops and markets photo software. While there may be someone here who can assist you, this is probably not the best place to ask your questions.

Mark

Thanks for your reply. What is the best place to ask my question about rating ?

A DxO Mark score of 86 is a rating for your DC raw performance, specifically the sensor.
A DxO Mark score 30 is a rating for your lens mounted on your DC.
There is no raw rating for a lens.
Pascal

DxOmark tries to indicate how well a sensor performs, lens ratings always refer to a specific lens-camera combination.

Although the figures might give me some kind of impression of how good the tested item or item combination is within the frame of how the measurements are done, I’d not blindly base buying decisions on them.

Anyway, those figures will not tell you if the items in question will

1. satisfy your photographic/artistic intentions
  2. have pleasing bokeh
  3. break your back or bank
  4. make you happy (another version of the above)

I’m not saying that the figures are bullpoop but they might be completely irrelevant depending on how you work…

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies
So if I have a camera sensor 86 and a lens rated 30 i would like to know if my set up is better than buying a compact camera rated 70 .
I agree that maths does not do the whole job but nevertheless if we show ratings , how can we make the best use of them?

I propose you go into the DxOmark website and do a comparison of exactly the cameras you think of.
You’ll then be able to see how they compare regarding noise, color and dynamic range… and you’ll get no answer on how exactly the results will differ regarding bokeh, depth of field etc.

One example:

Clearly, one of the two cameras has distinctly better signal to noise ratio figures. It crosses the orange dotted line at 400 ISO while the other one does so at around 150 ISO. This means that it will be able to deliver decent images with less light. Therefore, you might prefer it over the other one…until you find out that the “better” camera will cost you ten times as much.

DxOmark picks a few properties of a camera and rates them in complete disregard of whatever your other criteria might be. Only you can possibly know these. If you want to compare, stay within a certain frame in order to not compare snakes with rats…

2 Likes