Possible problem in DeepPrime XD support for Pentax K-3iii

So, with PL v6.7 released in June, has anyone tried it on K-3 III DNGs yet? Does it actually bring the promised fix for the splotchiness issue?

Maybe a bit early to ask, but I’m genuinely curious.

1 Like

There is no explicit mention of it being fixed, unless it falls into the “minor bug fixes and improvements” category. Which could be, maybe they implemented some general improvement under the hood that improved the performance but not yet specific for this camera ?

Nevertheless, I see some improvement; I have attached a comparison vs. version 6.0; I kept some pictures from the time I made this post. The logic is similar, I compare DP and DPXD with a luminance setting of 40. For XD also setting noise model -26. The new version images have the 6.7 prefix.

To me it looks better but no better than regular DP. Maybe there is still something to be done ? But at lest it responds to the luminance slider.

2 Likes

@Simone_S Wow, super-helpful with the downloadable sample files. Thus, greatly appreciated.

Not a groundbreaking improvement, from what I can see, but hey.

Can’t shake the feeling that DeepPrime XD could still use some serious development work. In particular, in the light of the recent improvements to Adobe’s noise reduction, which seems to be a lot less prone to producing artefacts.

Just returned from a long bike-hike.
I’ll test some RAW files that I tried before the update and develop the images again. Let’s see what’s new…

I am not sure that the slight improvement that I seem to have found is due to the supposed fix specific for the K.3iii or is as a result of some general fine-tuning of the new Deep Prime XD algorithm (which might have affected all cameras). Furthermore I have to say that the example I shared was a particularly good example where the results are very good also with Deep Prime standard, and it is at “lower” iso of “only” 5000. The issues get worse at higher iso and I did not notice an improvement there yet.

1 Like

I must say that I am disappointed by the results, and we probably need to open another ticket.
I used the same RAW file that provided the images that I uploaded on Nov. 2022. An underexposed ISO6400 file. Especially in the background some very strange artifacts are visible.
The image responds to the luminance slider, but the NoiseModel has unexpected effects. I used the following settings: DP or DPXD, Lum10 with NM 0, NM -100 and NM +100, and Lum40 with NM 0. Both DP and DPXD give artifacts in the background. Very strange is the loss of “macro detail” with DP and lum10/NM -100, that seems to smear out the water in the background. I thought I had used the wrong settings and double checked, re-processed the file, but this is what it is.
The worst effects in the background are with DPXD and settings Lum10/NM -100.

Needless to say that the images are best viewed at 100%. I can’t show the results here, file size too big. @Simone_S : how did you upload the files to this forum via WeTransfer? I’ll follow your example if I know how to :wink:

1 Like

Hm. Pretty underwhelming if that was supposed to be the promised fix. I so want a K-3 III to replace my K-3 classic someday, but I’d hate not to be able to get the best out of its high-ISO DNGs in PL. After all, high ISO works with the K-3, within the limits of what DP and DPXD can deliver in their present state.

If you opened a new ticket, DxO would get a signal that whatever they have done so far falls short, and I would make sure to support the new thread. Thank you so much for your efforts, Han.

1 Like

I sent a support request.

I don’t know how to get a WeTransfer link in this forum, similar to what @Simone_S has done. So I can’t share the comparison of various settings with you.

1 Like

Hi,
to share files I just used the free option of wetransfer; in the home page there is a link named “I just want to send files”, then you can upload content and share the link. Mine is not valid anymore if it’s useful I can upload it again.

WeTransfer - Send Large Files & Share Photos Online - Up to 2GB Free

Ah, of course, you just send the file(s) to someone and share the link here. I use WeTransfer often, but this is so simple I didn’t realize that you don’t need to send the link directly to this forum. Thanks @Simone_S
This is the link to the composite image that I made, with various settings:

Best viewed at 100%, of course.

@Madaboutpix @Simone_S I was contacted by Support, so I sent them the .dop. I’d already shared the raw file and the composite image shared above.
Let’s be optimistic about a solution.

2 Likes

@HanSch Your efforts are invaluable. Really appreciate what you’re doing. When we provide them with what we can to speed up their diagnostics, they may indeed come up with a solution.

1 Like

Thanks @Madaboutpix for your appreciation. But the value of my contribution will be determined by Support’s solution…
That said, don’t let the problems with DPXD affect your choice for the Mk. III too much. It is a very nice camera, compared to my old K5 with much better AF and much better high ISO. DPXD works fine up to ISO800/1600, and DP works fine for higher ISO. You only miss the little extra detail that DPXD can squeeze out of the raw file. But that difference is more relevant with lower ISO, when the finest detail is available.

3 Likes

Well, forgot about a quick solution:

“DxO PhotoLab DeepPRIME XD is known for having a limitation that you noted, and yes, this can be worse than the original DeepPRIME classic noise reduction tool in some cases. The developers are aware of this and they are working on the issue. When a resolution is available, it will be included in a future update to the program. At this time, we do not have a time frame for when the problem will be corrected.”

A response that I received yesterday. An undefined time frame, so we better set ourselves up for a long term problem.

3 Likes

Long time Pentax K-series user, long time DxO user. I upgraded a few months ago to both the latest version of DxO and the latest K3iii. I shoot JPEG+RAW. Max ISO is set to 6400, which about 1/3 of my photos hit. My overall impression is that these are the best images out of my Pentax K-series + DxO combination yet. While I haven’t pixel peeped to the extent you have I also generally shoot a bracket of three images (+1, 0, -1) so I rarely have a seriously underexposed image to deal with. But you have peaked my interest and I will keep an eye out for what you are describing.

3 Likes