PL5: Saturation changes in fullscreen mode

Hi Wolfgang,

I’m using a Terra Laptop by Wortmann (german company) ca. 2 years old and a EIZO Monitor. But it is not the monitor, on PL there are situations where 2 pictures e.g. Thumbnail and preview show different saturations…
And you are right, that’s what Barbara also stated. But PL should select the profile of the monitor where it’s actually at instead as stated by @Marcin

Cheers
Guido
@Barbara-S to keep you in the loop.

The standard behaviour is to pick up the profile (via OS) from that monitor, where the program is started (and I don’t know how the profile could be picked up otherwise – it does NOT work ‘on the fly’).

BTW, IrfanView and FastRawViewer behave the same. In FastStoneImageViewer I have to click on the preview to get the full screen rendition, which then appears in the correct colour.

[ checked with Eizo 2730 (switched to AdobeRGB), my ‘extended screen’ on Eizo L767 (sRGB)
and with pics in AdobeRGB and sRGB ]

Also, don’t expect thumbnails to be rendered precisely.

Wolfgang, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Correct me if I’m wrong: it is the sense of calibrating to have a picture looking the same on any monitor. And I do not have any other image displaying software which does it the way you describe it. Whether CaptureNX, nor DPP, nor Irfanview or others. This is just wrong. And by the way: look at attached pic, such a large difference in saturation after shifting the pic from EIZO to laptop and back then. Do you have any explanation why this is not wrong?

As @Marcin described, there is a Windows API which needs to be used.

Did a couple more tests with this pic

[ portraits taken from a DataColor test image (original download → here) / greyscale added by me ]

Fotoguido.zip (1,4 MB) – saved as 8bit TIFF in AdobeRGB ( → neglect the Forum’s rendition )

opened it in PL6.1.1 & PL5.6.1.4808

• on the main monitor (CG2730 / set to AdobeRGB) → normal rendition
    then moved it to the extended screen (L767 / sRGB) → and the output was dull (as expected)
    (the same in full screen mode)

• on the extended screen (sRGB) → normal rendition
    then moved it to the main monitor (ARGB) → and the output was oversaturated (as expected)
    (the same in full screen mode)

PL behaves very ‘normal’ like IrfanView and FastRawViewer,
picking up the profile for that screen, where it was started on.

There is one thing, when you work on a relative small screen,
with “Fit on screen” bigger pics are not presented at > 75%.
If that has an effect for you, I don’t know
– or did you stay too long outside?
:slight_smile:

BUT, why do you ‘move’ from one screen to the other?
Assumed, your external screen allows AdobeRGB, start on that one
and also open the fullscreen mode from there, if needed.
Then put the ‘rest’ onto the laptop.

Hi Wolfgang,

thanks again für sharing your thoughts. I now defined the EIZO as my main monitor and the problem is gone (for a moment): If I move PL to the laptop now and then press F11 then again the picture is oversaturated. When I press F11 again to return to normal mode the pic remains oversaturated. When I move PL then back to the EIZO it remains oversaturated and the thumbnail “says” “Fehler beim Laden”. When I then press F11 the oversaturation is gone. Strange.

Problem still exists but I don’t care anymore, I’m satisfied with the solution I have now and the ticket is supposed to be closed by Barbara.

Final comment: PL does NOT behave as other software, when I open a pic with say Irfanview or Capture NX and shift it from one monitor to the other the pic looks always the same.

Thanks again and kind regards
Guido

1 Like