PL3 upgrade pricing, clarification?

Same question.
I receive a notification that the upgrade price is no more $69 but 49$ , and when I log in and try to upgrade, it’s $69.
Is there a glitch somewhere? Did I miss something?

Yes, I fear that’s exactly what might happen. Last year, after having slapped the early adopters with the BF offer, they just told us that BF was a commonly known event and we should have expected that offer. If they don’t provide that kind of BF offer this time, it appears that they are doing this on purpose just to offend us. It would say very much about how they think about their customers…

I really don’t think someone would complain about that. And I also already pointed out another possible solution: simply extend the timeline for the existing customers up to the BF date. Then everybody could decide to get it now or wait for BF without the risk of being pissed off again. At least that would be fair against the PL 2 owners - and with respect to the paid but lost year with PL2 and the things that were promised for 1.x and 2.x but never really came, DxO could demonstrate that they are at least not willingly offending us.

Take care that I’m not talking about a few Dollars/Euros/Pounds of price difference between update offers. We all must decide if the upgrade is worth the price or if we want to support DxO for other possible reasons. And I’m also not talking about the quality/functions/usability of PL - I still like it and prefer it to the competitors.

I’m only talking about the way DxO treats their customers.
And I’m extremely frustrated by the last year with them.

Just my 2ct.

Tilmann

1 Like

Essential is 49,- and elite is 69,-.

So if you have elite then the offer is 69.
:slightly_smiling_face:

Commercial/business methods, in many companies not just DxO, in regard to loyal longer term customers(upgrade discounts) and attracting new customers(Black Friday deals) has in recent years been a fractious issue.

There are some products & services that if we (as customers) do not feel a loyal tie we could chop & change all the time to benefit from “new” deals discounts…but with software (or similar) we are in effect tied in to the upgrade cycle and IMO the old business adage applies whatever the business “it is easier to keep a loyal customer than find new ones…” so why the heck has that changed in recent years to (and I do not necessarily include DxO in the statement) ignore treating the loyal ones as important just concentrate on getting the new customers :wink:

The business accounting analogy (not an exact analogy but makes the point) that comes to mind is “profit is sanity but turnover is vanity…” just replace ‘profit’ with ‘retaining the customer base’ and ‘turnover’ with ‘increasing the size of the customer base’ to see what I mean!

Yes, all businesses need to increase the customer base (to replace lost ones and maintain profit growth) but surely not at the expense of alienating those that have consistently been loyal, afteral a loyal customer base potentially generates as much business via word of mouth (quality of products, service level etc) at lower cost compared to blips of new deal discounts :slight_smile:

PS on a related note ~ I initially bought into DxO PL entirely for its Prime noise reduction…but could see its increasing potential for me :slight_smile: However, good though the software is (and getting better) I consistently see references on the various photographic web fora about the poor responsiveness of the help & support requests ‘system’…including that it takes a very long time to get an acknowledgement of the cry for help let alone a meaningful reply :frowning:

Good point, even though I really like what I am seeing in regard to the way PL processes I was not encouraged by the DAM in PL2 and was hoping it will improve. Having said that PL strenght is in its processing and maybe by adding in a DAM that is diverting attention away from that core development program.

So, I will until otherwise convinced be ignoring the DAM side in PL and concentrating on what it does best ~ Post Processing :smiley: Afteral, workflow is all about using the best tools I can get for each “step” even if they are not all in the same knife box :wink:

1 Like

I agree with your comments about the missing Windows functionality. I have toyed with the possibility of upgrading to PL3, but as a Windows user, I am reluctant. I upgraded Essential PL2 to Elite not long ago. The PL3 update has arrived quite quickly after PL2, so if the sub-optimal Windows version of PL3 isn’t very soon made fully functional, I would, if upgrading, possibly be paying for a shorter fully useable lifespan than a Mac user, especially if a PL4 update arrives after just a few months. In which case, a slightly lower current Windows PL2 to PL 3 upgrade price would surely seem not unreasonable?

[quote=“Jul, post:46, topic:9632, full:true”]
I upgraded Essential PL2 to Elite not long ago. The PL3 update has arrived quite quickly after PL2

[quote]

Submit a support request to ask a free update.
Pascal

Every fall DxO released a new PL version (at least the 3 years i am looking at it/ be aware off)
then the hole year you are getting updates until the next version is released. Then you need to upgrade for an other year of updates.
This cycle is a popular way in software land.
The cycle can be longer but the system is the same. And somewhere halfway the year the big re-newing or new features are released in the new version not as update. Otherway they have nothing to offer as NEW to precuade you in a upgrade.

(i did the same by buying dpl suite elite v1.1 few months before release v2) (The discounts and offers in the summer are as car discounts when the new model arrives.) And when PLv1 arrived they offered opticpro 11 essential for free so you could get to know there application hoping you are upgrading to plv1.

So indeed ask for a discount and see if they agree.
If not then decide if you want to go for v3 or not. (or later in the year)

1 Like

I’m not sure whether to upgrade it now or wait for Black Friday. The fact that the introductory prices end the Sunday before the Black Friday week deals start is obviously no coincidence, the question is no deal then or a bigger one?

You’ll probably save another 10$ for BF, up to you to wait or get it now =]

Yes your probably right, won’t be much of a saving, though I probably won’t get much editing done between now and then anyway.

If you go to this Adobe url you will see it says that future versions of Photoshop cc will not be supported on Win 7.

If you want to use an unsupported OS that is a personal choice but the reality is that your choice of software is going to be limited.

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/download-install/kb/os-support-for-cc-2019-apps.html

A redesign (offering the same thing but with a different interface) should be a free update. New facilities are required if a chargeable update is demanded.

However I also fell into the trap and was going to update at the £42.99 update price but was indignant at this changing to £54.99! Too much for too little and same can be said for Nik Suite. DXO are either in financial trouble or too greedy. I suspect a little of both.

Loyal customers (like me) are probably dropping out of the expensive upgrade cycle.

3 Likes

What puzzles me is why all photo software releases in September - November timeframe. Is there a reason for this? Too me it makes more sense to sell in spring and then to discount black friday/christmas time. But I must be missing something here.

3 Likes

Mark, you and Floris are very primitive thinkers. Just because some of us want to hinder the surveillance state rather than encourage it is no excuse to allow corporate bootlickers to push us out of society altogether. In your new Skynet, civic participation means accepting total surveillance and all its consequences? Ridiculous.

Such false paradigms are simply primitive dichotomous thinking unworthy of grade school children.

2 Likes

Just read “1984” and then look at China now or all the other governments which like this kind of technology

1 Like

Do the people who send out the emails pushing the new PhotoLab3 talk to the people who process the new purchases? After the first email, I studied the situation and decided to upgrade. Then over the next week I get two more offers to upgrade. It would be better if they send tutorials or hints and tips on getting the best out of the features.

2 Likes

I completely agree with you about privacy needs and have taken steps to maximize privacy on all my 6 desktops and laptops. My point was that today we lack significant privacy in so many different areas that we must go far beyond just protecting our computers if we’re having privacy concerns. Hardly any aspect of our lives is private anymore. My response was intended as hyperbole to stress that growing lack of social privacy. And yes, in the scheme of things, the amount of intrusion into my privacy is probably much greater outside of my computer than in it. Anybody who just protects their computers against invasions of their privacy and thinks they’re done, is just fooling themselves.

I’m slowly backing off many things that expose my personal information, and tracks my location and habits. I volunteer a minimum amount of information whenever feasible. Unfortunately, it is hard to escape from that all together in our modern technological society unless one is willing to go off grid to one degree or another.

Mark

1 Like

Can anyone explain why a PL3 Elite upgrade costs more than Essentials? Was anything added to PL3 Elite that’s not in Essentials? Did they upgrade any tools exclusive to PL2 Elite? If not, then I’d be paying extra just to maintain a tool that’s unchanged, in which case, I’d feel like a hostage.

2 Likes

It seems you’re correct. I understand how you must feel. By all means, skip the upgrade to PL Elite 3 if you see it as a rip off for the additional $20 and you are not particularly interested in the new HSL color wheel, the improved repair feature and new clone tool, the new local adjustments palette and masking features, and the keyword editor. When it comes to the cost of new upgrades I can’t pretend to understand DXO’s specific logic. All I can say if that for me the $69 for the new functionality was money well spent. The introductory sale will end on November 24th, and after that the price goes up to $89.99. Of course with black Friday coming shortly after that DXO will most likely drop the price again, possible even below the current $69.99. Time will tell.

Mark

1 Like