PL3 upgrade pricing, clarification?

Lasr year’s pricing was painful because PL2 wasn’t much of a release. To find out that a few weeks later people bought it for a lot less than you did was very annoying.

However, things are a bit different this time around. Photolab 3 is a significant upgrade with new features that everyone can take advantage of. I spent $69 to upgrade yesterday, and I know on Black Friday I would probably be able to get it for $50. However, I wanted those features now and I’m willing to bite the bullet on the difference in price between now and Black Friday. Last year was quite different. Thankfully, this time around it’s very different. I am personally thrilled by the addition of three major functional updates in this version. Hopefully this is an indication of great things to come.

Mark

1 Like

They removed support for Windows 7???
That will stop me from upgrading.

They have not removed it - it was never part of DPL3 hence nothing to remove.
DPL2 still works with Win7

Same difference. If it will not work in Win 7, then I have no reason to upgrade.

1 Like

Microsoft will be stopping all support for Windows 7 in January. Software companies cannot and will not spend their resources trying to support their software on old operating systems.

DXO is not the only one taking this approach. as time goes on you will find that a lot of the software you rely on may not be eligible for upgrades on your Windows 7 machine. I know it’s a painful decision, but if you want to own current versions of new software, you may have to bite the bullet and either upgrade the operating system on your current computer or get a new computer with Windows 10. Every Windows 7 user has to face that eventually. When I spoke to people in the last year or two who were purposely buying new computers with Windows 7 installed I told them it was a very short-sighted move on their part and they would eventually regret it. It is an unfortunate situation, but it’s time to move on.

Mark

You are right.
You will have to upgrade to Windows 10 first, one day.
Unfortunately Windows 7 is a dinosaure today in the world of computers and we all need to leave dinosaures behind to move forward.

This year’s macOS Catalina update is ending support for 32 bits Apps. We need to get rid of it to only work with the better 64 bits architecture. It is like this.

I bought a new license (69 €) yesterday, too. Definitely the best RAW processing software for me. PhotoLab 3 Elite is great. PhotoLab 2 gave excellent results, PhotoLab 3 is definitely better and there are no special reasons to complain about the functionality. I think the reason for complaining about the Black Friday price is not because of the functionality of the new version, but mainly because people who bought the new version quickly felt this difference in price a bit, let’s say, unpleasant (Black Friday price was lower and it was just after the original offer).

1 Like

rwerp: I would love to know more about that! I have researched and found some information, but I suspect I need more resources.

Mark: What is it about Win 10 that you think is better than Win 7. Just curious.

People are always complaining because it is easier to complain than actually working on something or helping someone (talking about the Black Friday Event).

It is faster, more stable, and more secure. And beyond that, n the next year or so you will find more and more new and upgraded software titles that will not be installable on your computer running Windows 7.

Msrk

Yes, but last year a big part of the issue was that Photolab 2 was a mediocre upgrade to start with, and the fact that some people bought it a few weeks later for even less money, wss a double slap in the face for early adopters. This year’s upgrade is really excellent, and the majority of angry complaints seem to be because people were not sufficiently notified by DXO that it wouldn’t run on Windows 7. Last year, virtually everybody was pissed off to one degree or another.

Mark

1 Like

In the search box, type “privacy settings” or “cortana”.

Fortunately, I use Windows 10. :wink:
In general, I have never missed anything special in PhotoLab, and now it is almost perfect.

Is the UI faster? This is my main gripe with PL2.

I love using Photolab, but as much as I love the new functionality added to version 3, I would hardly call it almost perfect. Maybe after a few more years of upgrades as wide-ranging as these, it may be a lot closer to that ideal.

Mark

This may now drift off of my original title, however!

There is more buzz on the Mac sub-fora about PL3 and its usage but as noted by the list of updates:-

DxO présents the release 3 of de PhotoLab

HSL adjustment - completely redesigned
New interface based on the color wheel
Ability to completely change the color gamut using handles

Repair - new Clone tool
The tool has been completely revised.
Clone pad to replace one zone with another

Local Adjustments palette
Show / Hide all Local Adjustments (like all other feature)
Show / Hide each mask individually
Modify each mask opacity
Invert the influence area of a mask

Keywords in the Database
PhotoLab reads XMP tag keywords
Search by keywords
Keywords creation - Mac OS version only

Others:
White balance pipette sampling circle
Virtual copies : Master image and new behavior
Project Mode : New sorting options for the image project list
Crop : New ratios: 5/7 = ISO A, 8.5/11 = US letter and 16/10
Copy / Paste : Paste global parameters only
Tone curve : Use arrows to adjust curve value (like Mac OS until …)

There are some features currently only enabled/available on the Mac version…is there a timeline as to when they will be updated in the Windows version. IMO as in PL2 they praised that the DAM was there and would be developed progressively. I am still relying on LR and dabbling with ACDsee as my DAM…so just when will PL3 get the Keywords Creation function and why is PL3 apparently released prematurely in respect of a shortfall in functionality for Windows compared to Mac???

The creation of keywords is fundamental to DAM usage, or are the Windows users seen as the poor cousins in the scheme of things :wink:

Heard it all before. People who have given up on privacy love trying to make themselves feel better about it by criticising anyone who still cares. Especially love ones drivelling on about solar panels and credit cards.

Microsoft gave away 300 million free Win10 upgrades (around $15 billion lost revenue - assuming they had produced a version of windows anyone really wanted).
They didn’t do that because they like us, they did it because they intend to make much more than $15 billion bleeding theirs users and monetising their personal information like google, apple, and facebook do.

If you think Win 10 is so fast and stable - it would be even faster and more stable with all the crap I hate and don’t want taken out wouldn’t it.

1 Like

Yes, as has been widely commented on latterly with the likes of Facebook and other ‘free’ social media sites…if you are not the paying customer you are the product!

As for W10, I did make use of the free upgrade but as I mentioned above in the Pro version there are more controls in regard to a lot of the settings including (some) relating to Privacy.

FWIW even in W7 there are ‘phone home’ operations going that AFAIK are hidden from user view though I surmise there are workarounds to quash them as appropriate.

FWIW I use Chrome as a browser to get away from the questionable aspects of Internet Explorer and Edge.

It always strikes me as how people obviously regularly spend hundreds and thousands on the newest lenses and cameras but struggle at 69,99 for a software update.

If it is a one time purchase then you have to decide if DxO support of the lens is essential for your photography. I mean, it’s not like the lens corrections wouldn’t be possible without an optical module…

Life advice: Don’t buy the latest tech stuff. Buy one year later and save 25% or more. And enjoy the updated software, that most likely will support the new gear by then and was paid for by the savings.

4 Likes

Be careful before build a DAM with PL !
DxO begin 10 years after major software.
The best way for many time is make xmp sidecars from third softaware or limit keyword usage for your temp selection.

Pascal