Picture is altered even if I disable all preset corrections

Hi All,

I have an issue or a missuderstanding when using Presets. I have created my own preset and applied to a picture. Now the color saturation was too high in this particular picture and I wanted to switch off this correction. To find which correction was doing this, I switch off all corrections but the picture still lookes different than the original.

So my question: Why is the picture different even tough I switched off every correction? I’m using Pl 6.1.1.

Best regards and merry christmas!
Oliver

What is the original?

George

The one on the top

How did you do that? How can you compare that image with the original when that image is the original. I don’t understand the workflow you used. Did you compare the exports of them?

George

My workflow:

1. Opened PL6 and clicked on that picture (might have opened it in PL5 already before upgrading)
  2. My own preset is applied by default
  3. Applied the filter “Show only active corrections”
  4. Went through all tabs and switched off all corrections
  5. Switch to vieweing mode “Show side by side” where I can see the unaltered picture and the one with the correction
  6. Now I see what’s in the first post.

I have the german version of PL so the correct english names might be a little bit different.

You probably mean the (preset)corrections manual undone. I see what you mean. I always thought that unaltered meant with the preset, but it isn’t.
I’ve no answer.

George

I played a little with your workflow. Copied an image to a new directory. In the preferences I set the preset to b/w. Opened that image in pl and saw a b/w image.

1. The active corrections didn’t show anything that could cause the image to be b/w, only some gradations in it.
  2. A reset showed the image as seen after adding the preset.
  3. The side by side view showed the image before adding the preset.

George

I think having a lot more information will help with answering this. Is your original image file RAW, JPEG, or TIFF? Are you using the DxO Wide Gamut working color space or Classic/Legacy? If you’re working with RAW, I don’t know what PhotoLab is showing as your “original image” when you do a side-by-side comparison: the embedded JPEG rendering? DxO’s rendering with the default preset for RAW images? DxO’s rendering with “no corrections”?

Note also that depending on the working color space, turning off the Color Rendering palette will show a very different “default” rendering.

So there’s a lot to consider here.

@Sparx82, did you try using the No corrections preset and then compare the results to the original?

His assumption is that a preset is reflected in the “show only active corrections” . When manual switch them off then then the situation of no preset would be created. As mentioned in my former post the side by side view compares the actual image with the original image before adding a preset. There shouldn’t be any difference.

George

Dear All,

Thanks for all your input. @Egregius you pointed me into the right direction, its was the color space. I created this profile in an earlier version of PL and, I guess, this made it using the classic mode. As soon as I switch to DxO Wide Gammut, the both images (“no corrections” and “preview of the corrections”) looked the same if I switch off all corrections.

I’m wondering why:
a) the uncorrected version uses DxO Wide Gammut. Is this default in PL6?
b) Why there are such big differences between the two color modes. There’s clearly a difference in color saturation but also in brightness. The online help states that there could be minor differences but the ones I see are quite big.

I’ve only recently upgraded to PL6 so I need to dig more into what this color space actually is and what it does to my pictures.

Thanks anyway for your help so far!

BTW: If I apply the “no corrections” preset, the before and after images also look the same because this preset also uses the DxO Wide Gammut color space.

a: yes, for certain workflows wide gamut is default.

b: because with the wide gamut working color space the Color Rendering palette gives different options and uses a different setting when off.

So that’s not reliable. Both for the used gamut space as for the conversion to b/w.

George