PhotoLab and iPad and Photos app

Oops… I apologize. I think I used to spell it correctly.
My fault.

-myke

I see your user name and always think of Marc Silber. I’ll try to do better. :slight_smile:

Hahahaha. Well played.

Snapseed is now downloading onto my iPad. …finished and installed. So far it looks like a collection of “filters” that it can apply to one of my photos on the iPad. .

1 Like

Click on the word TOOLS at the bottom of the screen…to find lots of other features.

1 Like

I read this story, then downloaded Darkroom. Just starting to edit in my iPad, which seems to work well with the few raw images I have recently taken:

Darkroom for iPad

The immediate benefit I notice is that it works alongside my Apple Photos library, rather than instead of it. Just installed it, haven’t used it yet.

I’m also working on this video to get the most out of my iPad:

How to effectively use iPad tools

" One of the things that sets Darkroom apart from a photo editor like Lightroom CC is its tight integration with iCloud Photo Library. Instead of requiring you to manually import images, Darkroom accesses your iCloud Photo Library directly. This approach eliminates the need to have two separate libraries of photos, which can lead to duplication and forgetting where a particular photo is stored."

Was wondering no one referred to Affinity Photo.
Since a while Affinity phot is available for IPad. It works fast and reads raw files.
You can download the raw file to ipad by connecting a sd-, xqd- or cf card reader.
Using a Nikon you also can download the files remote using SnapBridge. For pure Raw edit, snapbridge and capture one pro are also available for iPad.
Imo, both work better than LR or any Adobe stuff for IPad.
Snapseed has a lot of functions and is free of use, however the user interface and easyness of working of Capture one is superb. Capture one can edit with non destructief edited files plus all edits done in capture one also can be to the pc later when back at home. This is not available within Snapseed as far I tried.
But with Snapseed you can easily send edited files to Affinity Photo. Affinity photo files also can be read on pc later.

I tested many raw editors on my iPad, but all have their flaws.
So far, I prefer capture one and / or snapseed in combination with Affinity photo they provide best possibilities.
Capture one provides too less options for me at the moment, but I expect I will move to it once it has more functions. For now, I work work with Snapseed and Affinity Photo for IPad.

Well, I made all those plans for the iPad, but it turns out that there is always enough time to get to my MacBook Pro and do my minimal editing in PhotoLab.

I appreciate all the help, but my iPad just never feels “comfortable”. What is effortless on my MacBook is a pain on the iPad.

I took three classes at the Apple Store on how to use an iPad, and while I can waddle through things, macOS for me is a much better home.

To be honest, the only editing I’ve needed to do is straighten crooked photos and crop. The photos are more so “snapshots” than photos, usually taken from a moving auto-rickshaw or bus. I miss all the long discussions here on this forum. :frowning:

…then it is best to focus on the things you do now…

Will do, but @Joanna will probably shoot me.

I did get my iPad and Photos app working, but missed PL5 too much, so I gave up on that. I’ve sold one D750, and will be selling #2 very soon. I’m back as of a few days ago from India, and I’m determined to find how much I can accomplish with my old Leica M10. I got to use a new Nikon D780, which has a lot of advantages over the D750, and can now almost afford to buy one. Lovely camera - the D750 was from 2014, and the D780 was released in 2021.

I agree with what you wrote - will focus on what I will do now, not what I did in the past.

I obviously don’t know what lens you’re using with your Leica, but suspect that there is no Nikon that can provide images with a similar character to those that you can capture with your M10, especially with a top quality Leica, or Voigtländer lens mounted on it.

While the results may not be clinically accurate, they are often lush and romantically beautiful in a way that makes photography more emotional and a lot more fun. However, given your preference for photography with absolutely fidelity to what you believe you saw with your own eyes, you may prefer the Nikon D780.

Mark

I’ve got several lenses, ranging from “vintage” to the latest Voigtlander that everyone raves about for the image quality, clarity, sharpness, and contrast. People in the Leica forum love those old “Vintage” lenses, and I would like to see if I can shoot like this:

The 35 Pre Asph is lens that gives a beautiful smooth rendering on digital. It will not compete with the likes of the 35 FLE or 35 Apo for resolution. With higher megapixel cameras and the latest Leica lenses the resolution and contrast is very high, while very desirable and the holy grail many years ago for small format cameras it is also nice to couple the older lenses with high resolution sensors to give a softer rendering. Portraits, landscapes, street all are good uses for this lens and high contrast is tamed well. The lens continues to command higher prices each year for both it’s rendering and collectability, Leica would be wise to re-release it. Shot it wide open on your M10, it’s quite beautiful.

That was with the Nikons. I’d like to try to take photos differently now. If I do want “absolute fidelity” I can put the Voigtlander lens on. As a side bonus, this lens is so small and light it would fit in my shirt pocket.

If you’re curious "https://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/35mm-f14.htm

I changed my mind about a lot of things over the past two months.

1 Like

I recently purchased a couple of Voigtlanders designed specifically for Nikon Z bodies, and even though my Nikon Z fc is certainly not comparable to a Leica, the character of these Voigtlanders on that body is somewhat magical to my eyes. I haven’t enjoyed photography this much for quite some time.

Mark

Mark, I’ve held your camera twice, once. here in Miami, and once in India. It “feels” like (I think) a camera should feel, is ultra-light weight, is reasonably affordable, and everyone seems to love it except those who question why Nikon made it look “vintage”. To me, that “vintage” look is how I prefer my cameras to look, and I don’t enjoy the black plastic blobs most companies now sell. I would be perfectly happy to go anywhere with the “Z fc” including India. I’m surprised you bought Voigtlander lenses, but then again you know more than “most” people who just buy the kit lenses. Voigtlander lenses have a wonderful reputation, and they live up to it. I buy mine from “CameraQuest”, and if you ever have questions, the owner, Stephen Gandy, loves talking to his customers. I suspect you are getting better results than had you bought the (probably less expensive) Nikon lenses. Voigtlander lenses are about as good as it gets as I see things, and a comparable Leica lens might be a tiny bit “better” technically, but at 5 or 10 times the price. Voigtlander has always had a wonderful reputation. That’s why my newest 50mm is from Voigtlander, not Leica.

From what I’ve read about the Z fc, many users feel as you do - it’s a thoroughly enjoyable camera to use. I can’t get used to it though - I feel like I’m looking at a TV screen, not a viewfinder, but after a week or two, I doubt that would bother me.

I still have my Nikon Df body, about which @Joanna constantly reminds me that it lacks the capability of the D750. I guess for me, it’s now a “collector camera”. Too bad it’s out of date, but it still takes wonderful photos when I do my part correctly.

I’m curious - which lenses did you buy? Also, is PhotoLab all set to work with the Z fc yet?

I still don’t like mirrorless cameras compared to a DSLR, like the new Nikon D780, but I think the Z fc would be thoroughly enjoyable for me to take with me when traveling, and it felt great in my hands. Congrats!!!

That depends on who is doing the comparison. There’s an article here which says that the best lens is… a Sigma!!! Yes you could have knocked me down with a feather.

The big limitation to all “35mm” format cameras is not what glass you put on it, it is the limitation of the file area or sensor size combined with the quality of glass.

Unless you have enough megapixels to capture the resolving power of the lens, you are wasting money going after esoteric, mythical, lenses. Likewise, if you are only ever intending to share 2000px images on a web page, people are never going to see just how good your lens actually is.

Notice how all lens comparison reviews always have to show zoomed in crops to try and convince you of the superiority of this or that lens. View the entire test image on a web page and you are never going to see the difference.

Now, if you want to create a 24" x 16" print to be viewed in a gallery, then you are going to notice any differences.

My D850 can produce prints up to 33" x 23" without any interpolation. and it is at these kind of dimensions and pixel resolution where you need to be in terms of image size before it gets worth spending big bucks on “premium” glass.

Voigtlander, Zeiss and Leica were certainly highly regarded but, with the kind of price premium they impose, there are as good, if not better, lenses nowadays.

My opinion, if you want to get the best out of the world’s best lenses, move up to MF or even LF film lenses. For MF, it is hard to beat Mamiya and for LF, Schneider, Rodenstock, Cooke, etc.

Any camera body will take good photos when used properly, even an iPhone will do that :crazy_face:

Arrrghh…

why can’t you two use and enjoy the gear you have and create images you like
instead of making them “good” (whatever that might be) or “correct” (Spock here?)

This is always going to be a controversial subject about which there will is a lot of contention.

I tend to shoot wide rather than long, and capture many of my images in low to very low natural light. As a result, most of my current lenses are fast primes. I have a number of lenses for my Nikon Z fc. They include two surprisingly good zoom lenses, the Nikkor Z 16-50mm kit lens, the Nikkor Z 18-140mm. Aside from my two Voightlanders, the primes I use are the Nikkor Z 28mm f/2.8 and the Nikkor Z 40mm f/2. While I do not own any, I’ve also used on occasion a couple of the higher end Nikkor Z primes. My current goal is using a light and compact kit.

I purchased my first Voightlander, the 23 mm f/1.2 Nokton from Amazon Prime on a whim for $700 USD, knowing I could return it if I was unhappy with it. I was absolutely blown away not only with the build and handling of this lens, but the quality of the images that I got almost brought me to tears of joy.

The word character is used, and perhaps over used, with regard to Voigtländer lenses. However, this lens and the 35mm f/1.2 I purchased a month later have both been a constant joy to use. They both oose character in a way that is hard for me to define. The images are lush when they need to be lush, when correctly dialed in the images are also incredibly sharp with almost a three-dimensional sense of depth.

While manually focusing these lenses is of course much slower than any autofocus, they are surprisingly easy and fast to focus on a Nikon body. I’m still learning how to master them, but, I could not be happier with the results I’m getting. They also exhibit of kind of incredible glow in the right light which I have never seen on any conventional AF lens I’ve ever owned or used.

I agree that there are many lenses that are probably technically and clinically far superior. But that does not mean that the images they capture will be better.

Mark

There are other factors in play. One biggie is the cost. I prefer lenses that cost between $500 and $1000 as I can afford to buy them, preferably used for even less. The “fancy” lenses at B&H may be $5,000 or so. Too much for me.

To answer your question though, sometimes things come up that require a new lens - even a 300mm isn’t enough for shooting birds at a distance. Then there’s a desire to buy one, but if I hold off for a while, the desire often fades away.

I keep telling myself that the camera and the equipment doesn’t matter, for what I do. It’s the twelve inches behind the camera that counts. I almost bought a D780 - but after three weeks, the desire faded away. Something to do with a “champaign taste, and a beer budget”.

I understand what @Joanna writes, and why, but I’m not a @Joanna. I might get better, or maybe not, but there is so, so, so, so much that I know I don’t know.

My solution - stop messing around, and just go shoot with my Leica M10 and my very few lenses for it. If I work at it, I’ll get better. Spending more $$$$ would be a waste.

Taken five minutes after I woke up this morning:

Mike,

What lens did you use for this?

Mark

Here’s the lens, along with lots of testing.
I bought the Leica M mount version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2abJj3d6K-M

The above image is cropped quite a bit, to get the composition I liked.
If you’re curious, here’s the raw file and the .dop file.

L1004250 | 2022-09-19.dng.dop (12.7 KB)
L1004250 | 2022-09-19.dng (26.0 MB)