PhotoLab and iPad and Photos app

Tried to download Snapseed for Windows10 from their website, but it seems to insist that I install Wavebrowser, which I do not want. Is there another way of installing it?

Hey, welcome back to the forum!!!

My main goal right now with Apple is to get a series of appropriate images onto the iPad, create what Apple calls a ā€œMemoryā€, complete with music and stuff, and share via email. This is in addition to my regular image work with my camera, and my MacBook Pro with PhotoMechanic and PhotLab, and then exporting finished jpg images to share.

Iā€™m aware of the Apple Photos ā€œexport to diskā€ option, but havenā€™t done much with it. I will do as you suggest, and check it out, but I donā€™t expect to do much with it. Apple Photos is mostly D.O.A. for me, as you canā€™t have images within folders, within folders, within folders.

Yes, the Share option in Photos has been and will continue to be very handy, but I usually use the built-in editor before doing so. I use this a lot on my iPhone.

Yes, as @Joanna pointed out, keeping my raw images on my iPad (or iPhone) is not something I want to do, and since I canā€™t use PhotoLab on those devices, there is no point. Within a few days I expect Iā€™ll be back to the hospital guest house, with all my computers and tools available - along with good internet access, something else Iā€™ll be without most of the time when Iā€™m traveling to out-of-the-way-places.

Hi, welcome back to the PhotoLab forum!! I canā€™t do much more than spell ā€œSnapseedā€, and Iā€™ve forgotten so much I used to know about Windows, but hopefully someone else here can help you out. I never heard of Wavebrowser. Which browser do you use on your Windows computer?

You might want to read this before you install Wavebrowser:
https://www.technewstoday.com/wave-browser/

I wouldnā€™t want to copy them to the iPad, only to the external drive.

I have a Samsung T7 1TB SSD with a USB3 connector that plugs right into my 2020 11" iPad Pro. No external power needed. Using the ā€œFilesā€ app on the iPad allows you to copy files to and from the SSD. Itā€™s very fast to copy files too.

Very affordable too, especially in 500gb size.
from Amazon
Thanks, something to think about.

Affinity for iPad is a good value for money photo editing app, pretty intuitive also.

I bought it for my Mac, back when I couldnā€™t afford Adobe. Now I still have it there, but havenā€™t used it in ages. For the iPad it is $22, After looking over the description on the App Store, it can certainly generate some interesting effects.

For me, Iā€™ll wait and see how things work out. Iā€™m not sure how much Iā€™ll be doing on/with the iPad. Thanks for the heads-up.

Iā€™ve just done a couple of tests here.

I can certainly connect my iPad to a 2TB external SSD with no problem at all and use the Files app on the iPad to view certain image files from the SSD on my iPad - that is until I tried to view 45Mpx RAW files from my Nikon D850, at which point, the Files app threw a wobbler and refused to show them.

As to getting RAW files from my camera to my iPad, that has to be done using the Photos app on the iPad, which allowed me to import images directly from my camera via a USB cable.

Having got the files into Photos on the iPad, I then had to disconnect the camera, connect the SSD and use the Share button in Photos to save them to the Files app, specifying the folder I wanted to put them in on the external SSD.

Transferring the SSD to my MacBook Pro then allowed me to move the RAW files to the internal hard disk.

So, in summary, it seems you can use Photos on the iPad to download files, directly from the camera via a USB cable. Or you can connect your memory cards to the iPad and use the Files app to copy them to the iPadā€™s internal storage.

Either way, you can then export via the Share button in Photos to an SSD, or you can use Files to transfer them from internal storage to an external SSD.

I must admit I was amazed just how easy the whole procedure was. The only drawback was that I couldnā€™t view the 45Mpx RAW files in the Files app, but I could if I imported them into Photos.

Finally, here is an image of my, now, 2TB iPadā€¦

What model iPad did you test with? It does not look like the average iPad with Lightning connectorā€¦which will completely ignore an external ssd (tested with a Samsung T5).

The gear you show is between USD 1200 and 2400, which should pay quite a few daysā€™ living in India.

1 Like

Itā€™s an iPad Air (4th gen) running iOS 15 and the connector is a USB-C to a USB-C SSD

But nowhere near the cost of the camera and lenses

My iPad is a 64GB 11 inch iPad Pro, MTXN2LL/A. Iā€™ve been told it is a good model to have. I think itā€™s from 2018.

So much stuff up above to keep track of.

The most useful improvement was to use Bluetooth to connect my Apple Mouse and Keyboard.

No idea how useful it will be.

good, itā€™s got the usb-c connector and you should be able to replicate what @Joanna did in her test.

I wonder if a direct connection between the iPad and the D750 were able to transfer images directly, without a separate card readerā€¦

Well, I have found that most cameras can connect to my MacBook Pro via the Image Capture app. So, I would presume that Pictures for iOS would do the same - it certainly does with both my D850 and D810.

Warning

in the 20 minutes or so it took me to experiment with using the SnapBridge app to take only one picture on my D850 via WiFi, the battery level on the camera dropped from 100% to 89%. So, donā€™t plan on using WiFi to transfer loads of files because the camera becomes a WiFi access point, which makes it very power hungry.

Thanks for the above thoughts, but I am much more likely to do it the simple way, using my memory card. The only difference is I wonā€™t re-format the memory card until all files are transferred to my MacBook Pro and Time Machine.

Depending on where I go, and whether or not the hospital requests copies while I am still there, I might not need to do any of this until a few days later when Iā€™m back in my guest house at the main hospital.

I always have two batteries with me, which I charge after use. Still, after what @Joanna wrote, I will not have WiFi running on my D750.

I concur with the use of Snapseed on iPhone or iPad - it does a very good job and especially when you can wirelessly transfer a selection of images (raw or jpg) across from your camera. Itā€™s pretty obvious how to use it and has a good selection of tools. It will save non-destructively pretty much by default. Doesnā€™t need any comms access for editing bar transfer to the device.

Also for longer trips where I wanted to save multiple copies of photos I have a RavPower. Itā€™s a travel router and battery charger that will do a copy of an SD card to another usb device such as a data stick. One button backup or you can control via an iPhone app.

So much to respond toā€¦
Where? Madurai, Pondicherry, Tirupathy, Coimbatore, Tirunelveli, and perhaps Kannyakumari - that last place for me, not the hospitals - and lots of side trips I hope.

My iPad Pro has USB C, so yes, your ideas will work.

I did video last trip using a Fuji X100f, and want to try with the D750. Just standard HD. The doctor will be performing surgery on the patientā€™s eye, as I record what he does - would be better if I could do it from a viewpoint of the doctorā€™s eye, but not until I get different gear. (I have no problems recording the video, as long as I watch the camera screen - if I move my eye to the left so I can watch the surgery ā€œliveā€, my body feels very disturbedā€¦ so I go back to the camera.)

All of MY images will be shot the way Iā€™ve learned to do from so many people here. For the Hospital images, I will probably do the same. For the video, the D750 is now set to 1080P/24. I never even considered using an iPhone - maybe I will try that. We also need to connect a D750 directly to the microscope with an adapter, so we can record what the doctor sees. For an example of this:
Cataract Surgery
For this video, I was the patient. I have other videos that I filmed with a home-made camera we built at the hospital.

4K video is for the future - we would need editing gear and higher resolution monitors to do this properly. Editing software will be Appleā€™s Final Cut Pro.

My laptop is an old 2015 MacBook Pro. It works fine with Final Cut Pro, but a newer laptop would be better.

This isnā€™t the place to ask, but I have a LOT to learn about video - those last comments you made I donā€™t understand (yet).

Thank you!!

I accept that Marc is telling me this forum is for DxO Products, and this whole discussion has nothing to do with DxO, so in that sense, Marc is correct, but there are so many good people that are here, many of whom I now know, and the discussion has been very helpful to me - but I also understand Marcā€™s point of view.

Posting here got me a world of feedback, much of which is going to be very helpful to me. But the whole video thing has little to do with DxO, although I will certainly be capturing still images, and all of my images will be processed in PL5.

Something to keep in mind - the hospital is trying to get a lot of people involved in learning how to do this, and most of them have a MacBook Air because of the cost. All of the computers share one AppleID, so they can share Final Cut Pro - but they canā€™t afford to buy DxO software.

Our computers, including mine all lack decent horsepower and fast hard drives. Gradually we are getting a few computers that are more powerful, but we want a lot of people in this department to learn how to capture and edit video, even if itā€™s done in iMovie.

How soon - very!!! Iā€™ll have someone else using my computer while Iā€™m gone, so the net says Iā€™m online in the USA, itā€™s not me. My goal is both still photography and video, and the iPad will be useful when I visit some smaller hospitals for a few days maybe without even having internet access.

I also have lots of free time, and for several years all my editing was done in PhotoLab.
Hereā€™s a ā€œrealā€ photo from back then, long before I learned so much here:

I was still shooting in jpg back then:
puducherry2008_350.JPG.dop (15.6 KB)

Marc can now relax, since Iā€™ve posted (what I used to be able to do) with PhotoLab.
(ā€¦and yes I know, as a ā€œphotojournalistā€ I failed.)

1 Like

Mike,

I certainly donā€™t mind if you and @tlinn comment about my posts, but I would hope that after signing my name to 3950 posts you guys could spell it correctly. :slight_smile:

Mark

1 Like