PhotoLab 5 hardware compatibility

Mark, I sincerely doubt that they will allow PL4 users to update camera modules for nothing. Thus my question regarding PL5’s compatibility with Win 10, my assumption is that it will be compatible.

Larry

I also expect no probems with 10, most of the programs are the same and we have some programs working on 10 that were W7 ones that run with no issues. It’s things like deep prime that cause issues and we have 2 laptops that can’t run 11, one can run OP 4 with no problems and one that I can process when away and transfer to a new tower to export to overcom the hardware issues. (Or put up with a long export). But no way could we or I expect many other retired customers be changing pc’s just to run 11.

1 Like

Well now PL5 is released.

I note this in the min specs page of the manual:-
Recommended system requirements
Microsoft® Windows®
• At least 4th generation Intel® Core™ i7, or AMD Ryzen
• 16 GB of RAM
• 6 GB or more of available hard-disk space
• NVIDIA GTX™ 1060, AMD Radeon™ RX 5500 GPUs or better, with the latest driver

Now, PL4 runs fine on my 1st Gen i5 Quad core with my nVidia 1050Ti (currently running as I recall the August Studio driver version).

I wonder how well it will cope with PL5 ???

PS specs not that different to those for PL4
Microsoft® Windows®
Intel® Core™ 2 or AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 or higher (Intel® Core™ i7 4th generation or better, or AMD Ryzen™ recommended)
8 GB of RAM (16 GB or more recommended)
4 GB or more of available hard-disk space
Microsoft® Windows® 8.1 (64-bit), or Microsoft® Windows® 10 version 1809 or higher (64-bit, and still supported by
Microsoft®), Windows® 10 version 2004 or later recommended
DirectX® 10-capable system
OpenCL™ 1.2-capable graphic card with 1GB of video memory to handle OpenCL™ acceleration
NVIDIA GTX™ 1060, AMD Radeon™ RX 580 or better recommended for DeepPRIME

[ Wrong subforum. Please discard. ]

Laurence,

If PL 4 runs well on your current Windows 10 computer then PL 5 should work on it just as well. However, before purchasing I strongly suggest that you download the 30-day free trial and confirm it for yourself.

Mark

Hi Mark

Thanks for the insight…I may not install it right now but I am downloading it in readiness for installation alongside PL4 :slight_smile:

Edit
I have run some simple tests and the game changer for me is the NR including Deep Prime, with the changes being visible on the whole image in the main window i.e. not just in the Tool Bar window.

On my suboptimal system it takes but a few seconds to ‘process’…so the the speed is also way improved over PL4

Bought on that basis alone :smiley:

PS I sincerely hope that as they further develop PL5 over the coming year that they don’t adversely affect whatever they have achieved ‘under the hood’ already !

Edit @sgospodarenko I have flagged you here for your insight instead of at this time starting a new thread.

As noted, when I first looked at the NR preview behaviour I was looking at my Olympus high iso files and saw what I describe above ~ the am seeing preview updating changes in the main screen area and not (just?) in the smaller preview window.

I mentioned this discovery(?) on DP Review discussion and others with Windows systems said they could not see what I was describing.

I have now done some further checks, as follows.

As mentioned, I was looking at my Olympus E-M1 mk2 , 3 and M1X, I have also now looked at other camera files and found a difference.

With the Olympus files I am still seeing a definite difference in the main view screen but with Canon 7D (notorious for noisy files) I cannot see same difference. (Also checked my Canon 5D high ISO files and the .cr2 files from my Canon S120 compact)

So, on the face of an intriguing difference in the way PL5 seems to handle the NR preview and processing.

If what I am seeing with the Olympus files is indeed actual NR and not an anomaly of the PL5 processing of .ORF files. Then that is a very welcome feature(undisclosed :wink: ) of PL5. But why only on the .ORF files ???

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts & insight on this “easter egg feature” for Olympus users :grin:

I’m still pissed off about Nik 4. Until that upgrade that I mistakenly bought before trying, Nik 3 and earlier worked with all of my software.

1 Like