PhotoLab 5 hardware compatibility

Without violating non disclosure agreements. Can someone say whether there will be any sort of compatibility problem between hardware that is now compatible with PL4 running on Win 10 and PL5 running on Win10.

I checked the other day and my Core i7 4810MQ processor is not compatible with the new Win11 Pro. Seems the Intel Gen 7 processors can’t handle the upgrade so I’m not about to replace a perfectly fast laptop with something I don’t need right now. I’ll ride the Win 10 train to the end of the line. I’m just hoping PL5 doesn’t give a problem with my current Win 10 Pro setup as I need the forth coming Pentax K-3 Mk III camera module due to be released with PL5.

Larry

1 Like

Anybody, apart from DxO, saying anything would be violating their NDA. Surely, that is obvious?

I’m not talking about specific features of the new software, I realize that but a bit of reassurance that I won’t be having to go find other processing software and abandon PhotoLab!

What I’m referring to is will they shut out the PL users who are running Win 10. My guess is they won’t do that since some Beta Testers have been running Win10 with PL5 Beta for quite some time.

2 Likes

Anyone even acknowledging that there may be a PL5 coming soon would be violating their NDA.

Usually the NDA says you’re not even to acknowledge that the product your under NDA about exists or is being developed.

2 Likes

Larry,

Since historically DXO releases new versions of PhotoLab towards the end of October each year,you will be able to find out for yourself very shortly.

Mark

1 Like

Before win11 is widly spread i think there will be a full year past.
So on OS you don’t need to worry in this season.
And most win 7 applications run stil on win 10 so also on that section you don’t need to worry. :blush:

As I see Photolab 5 should work just fine on Win 10.
I wouldn’t rush to upgrade to Win 11. I will wait till they sort out all bugs and glitches.

There are reportedly a lot of problems esp with AMD PC’s. The big thing apart from that and the bugs in general is losing the use of the taskbar for programs I use all the time.

I’ve already been told by a DXO staffer that my camera module will be released with the October update. So with the discussion already on the forum about PL5 and the discussions that DXO sometimes releases new product mid to late October its pretty easy to make the assumption that my camera module will be part of the PL5 release. I can’t see DXO releasing modules for new cameras and lens an then turning around and releasing the next version of PL. At the moment all I’m interested in is a module for my Pentax K-3 Mk III.

1 Like

As long as I’m able to download the camera module for my Pentax K-3 Mk III I’ll be a happy camper whether its included with PL5 makes no difference to me.

Larry

I don’t plan to do the free upgrade to Win 11 as Microsoft would require that I replace a perfectly good laptop.

Larry

1 Like

You don’t have to.
Photolab 5 will run on Win 10 and Microsoft will support Win 10 till October 2025.
Regards

John - I got my taskbar looking and working exactly like I had it in WIN 10 (left side) which is about all you can do. No bugs or hiccups yet with DxO PL4e either, but I am on an Intel PC. Can’t comment on AMD.

There are AMD problems, but it’s not being able to add programs to the task bar for me. Plus I use an ‘old’ laptop when away which can’t be updated don’t don’t want to have two different systems and the prospect of geting my wife onto a different system is even more off putting!

PureRAW 1.5 already supports it so the work is definitely done. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The database shows the Pentax will be supported in PhotoLab some time this month.

Mark

The DxO non-disclosure agreement is ludicrous. Basically anyone who agrees to it can never critique PhotoLab again, beta or non-beta. This is why I’m don’t participate. Larry’s question seems to me perfectly reasonable.

If DxO shut out Windows 10 (I’m not even a Windows user) that would be the penultimate own goal of driving people away from PhotoLab. As apparently the plan is on MacOS too where apparently Mojave won’t be supported either. With the Nik4 fiasco cutting off many users of other programs from using DxO software, there’s less and less to like about the direction in which DxO is headed:

And the award for worst OS and cross-application compatibility for 2021 goes again to DxO.

Every other major RAW application else manages to support older OS and offer more compatibility with other programs than DxO at this point. Not a good way to broaden the tent.

Hi Mark,

Yes I know that the Supported Cameras / Lenses Database states 2021/10 PhotoLab support for my K-3 Mk III but will that come in the form of a PhotoLab 4 update or PhotoLab 5 which is said by many to be released this month? Either way it doesn’t matter to me if the new module comes in the form of a PL 4 update or PL 5. Although updating to PL 4 would be easier on my budget :grin:

Larry

Photolab 5 will be released within the next 2 weeks. I do not know whether Photolab 4 will get an update to support that camera.

Mark

That’s why so many cameras and now lenses are being held back to get paymet for a new version. There was going to be a August update which never came out.

2 Likes