Photolab 4 not enough of an upgrade not worth £70

Bad or good, we are leaving in a world of digital distribution when all products are subscription like service. What is good with DxO, previous version is yours to use all the time (with no update though) you can still use your Lab 3 as compared to Adobe CS subscription or Office 365 - this when your subscription is over and you cannot use anymore at all these products. Paying 60+ EUR as upgrade option per year for me is ok.

I do well understand logic behind in DxO and very well agree that people need to be paid for their work.

2 Likes

New HSL dropper is a nice addition.
Still a lot cheaper than subscription if Adobe LR for a year.
BTW, it’s just on a year since pl3 came out.
Aubrey

2 Likes

Well I will buy the upgrade eventually (did purchase V3 on 28 august 2020 but that is to long ago for a free upgrade :frowning: ) but not immediately I am disappointed there is no easy way of skin retouching using the same AI as the denoise or something, I see that ON1 WILL have it in their next iteration, denoise is nice but that alone does not make me pay 69 euros just TWO MONTHS after purchasing V3 that is a bit overdone in my opinion, they should at least give free upgrades to persons who buyed it as far as three months ago, common, … but ok, I understand, difficult times and they probably need the money.
But if I have to choose how to spend wisely then it will probably be ON1 for reasons of portrait AI.

This is the same for all purchase photography software: the grace period is 1-month I believe.

Tip: all major photography software releases between September - November. This is a yearly cycle so you can set your clock to it. Buying before means you often get a good deal, but you will soon run outdated software. The best moment to buy photography software is often Black Friday.

What is new about DNGs in PL4? I find nothing about this in the What’s New info.

Hi Mick. Gregor has given you the scoop above but if you wan to read more here’s the whole thread about it.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, Lucas.

I wonder if teh exported DNG is viewable in other image browsers, such as Photo Mechanic. Those exported from PL3 were not.

Also, can the exported DNG be edited in another application that reads DNG files, or only PL4?

How is it for sky replacement? I’m still using PS CS6 (refused to go subscription) and about all I use it for these days is to merge stationary ground with tracked night sky). The CS6 interface text is tiny on a 4K screen, even with work-arounds. I know all the keyboard shortcuts, so it’s mostly OK, but I am on the lookout for a non-subscription replacement.

Sky replacement isn’t a feature of Affinity at the moment, but for what I do it isn’t anywhere near the top of my list.
I usually use Viveza and just alter the colours as I need instead.

I have a copy of Luminar 4 for the very few occasions I actually need to do something like sky replacement.

Affinity Photo can be used to easily replace PS CS6 unless you have any “special” plugins. Works well as a pixel editor with DXO and has pano, HDR and focus stacking features.

Take a look at this short video:

Ian

4 Likes

Ian,
Thanks for the link. He makes it look so straightforward that I’m inspired to give it a try. :smile:

1 Like

That’s statement may be a bit premature since you have no idea what is being planned for PhotoLab 5.

Mark

2 Likes

The upgrade to DeepPRIME was not a small feat. It probably took more effort than all the other enhancements in PL4 put together, and work on it probably began quite some time ago. Whether you upgrade or not next year is up to you. I suspect however that you may decide to reevaluate your decision once PL5 is released, depending on what is in it and how well it runs.

Mark

1 Like

And when you don’t have Photoshop?
I never owned it, yes the poorman’s version PSE.
Didn’t liked it’s exports much.

Personaly i like the “right tool for each job” mentality.
If i have a “do it all tool” it’s mostly rubbish.
Dam, checking, culling not DxOPL at the moment.
Development til finished or nearly finished? Big yes for DxOPL
Nik and other applications just when i feel i can’t accomplish my goal in DxOPL.

I understand people who use 20%(important) of DxOPL, denoise and optical unit just to proceed in LR or Photoshop no real urch have to upgrade every time.
But then you spent that money on upgrading /maintaining the other one.

Personally, i find the i don’t upgrade because i don’t like it post’s a “who are you trying to convince? Yourself or others” scribles.
They need to be there because it’s a form of reviewing a product but the variaties of possible combinations and personal view of use can get others put on the wrong legg when they read only half the story.

That said, it’s a leap forward’s due the new deepprime engine.
Now they have free’d resources for the other stuff so i am excited to see the future feature’s next year…:wink:

Did i call you by name?
It was in general not you personal.
I NEVER spent 1500 euro for a software tool. But that’s just me
Anyone else may do what they want.

(and please lighten up don’t be so affended all the time. It’s a forum not a court. :slight_smile:)

I really like the new menu layout in PL4
Makes options very accessible.

The eye dropper on HSL is a very welcome addition.

Imressive new denoising I’ve gone over a few images from 12 years ago… Wow!

Aubrey

3 Likes

Yeah, I paid $500 for Aperture when it first appeared, and I considered it a bargain. And $600 for Photoshop before that.

Currently, there is a holiday sale that promises up to 30% discount.
The 30% are only available for the lowest cost app (ViewPoint), all others have discounts of ± 25%.

Be sure to check prices and editions and the gear they cover before you buy.

1 Like

No worries, @gregor, whatever the discounts are, they seem to differ depending on where and when you access the store and what products you look at…

Again, those who want to buy better thoroughly check available offers.

I used to pay for PS, $600 for a pixel editor. It was a different world then.

Imagine trying to sell a pixel editor for $600 today :slight_smile:

I am just going to sit in the corner and have a little cry now :slight_smile:

1 Like