Panorama Stitching

About a decade ago I used PTLens for panos. It was able to create spheric panoramas which I could view in Quicktime (the export format was MOV), move and zoom in and out. I guess, you are familiar with this site: PanoTools.org Wiki ?

This evening I did a couple of Panos inside our company and will now see, if Affinity or Capture One are doing a (good enough) job on them.

Sometimes I’m fascinated about the size and resolution of a pano. But other than on screen I never saw it. Maybe if my next printer has a roll feed.

a 360 print, that’s interesting :thinking:

Lacking a roll feeder and custom frames I’ve been printing on A2 size as well 40x50cm full bleed,
preparing & splitting the panos accordingly – from 2x A2 to 4x 40x50 cm. :slight_smile:

I don’t have that many walls suited for a 200 × 40 cm Pano :man_shrugging:

It was interesting to stitch these panos: my first mistakes were “landscape orientation”, “17 mm and shifted” (although proper nodal point) - Capture One didn’t like that at all, Affinity did better, but the stitch seams were popping up.
4 others were portrait oriented, consisting of 9…10 × 60 MP and resulting in a 156 MP pano (C1 sometimes didn’t like more than 75%, I forgot to try 100% this time) or 200 MP (Affinity had no problems with the bigger size). Can’t upload that here, the JPGs are between 120 and 170 MB and JPEGmini can’t shrink these due to size limitations. Here’s a 10% export:

This pano was impossible to stich in C1 - Affinity Photo had no problems. Takeaway for me: Better a dedicated app than hoping for a decent implementation in PL.

Edit: Just tried one more in C1

This is not the result of 100% but maybe the times and sizes are interesting
20" to preview, 60" to generate a 1.68 GB DNG with 279 MP. If I crop the upper and lower parts, 259 MP remain. There are some stitching flaws but less than I expected. :slightly_smiling_face:

Could you try to use these pictures with ICE too? I’m curious.

George

why not…you can wrap yourself inside :rofl:

No, I can’t. My Macs remain 100% Microsoft- and Adobe-free. :grin:

But it’s rather easy to do them yourself. Mount your camera on a rather well leveled tripod and take your snaps with a panorama plate. The shorter the FL and the closer some subjects are, the more necessary becomes some knowledge about nodal-points or at least (ion my case) an adapter with an indicated model point making.

1 Like

Hmmm, I wonder what a VR headset would do with this imagery? When I bought my Rogeti tripod I also stumbled over their panoramic head and since the quality and features of the tripod items don’t cease to amaze me over and over, I’m very tempted to get this thing. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: GAS is a serious disease…

You can’t use it on a Mac.
I did some tests with ICE and some other panorama apps and in my case ICE was the winner. I was just curious how ICE behaved in your case since you noticed some faults.

George

I just googled it because if it was a regular Windows app, I could probably try it on my office workstation.

Note: This project is retired and no longer supported

This says it all. Must have been a good app. And as such forbidden in Windows realm.

A few years back, I was attending a photo trade show and, when I asked on the Manfrotto stand about a panoramic head, the rep offered to loan me one to try out. Well, they never pestered me to return it and, at the next year’s show, I took it back but was told I could keep it! Thank you Manfrotto.

Here’s an assembly of 22 images taken on it and stitched in Affinity Photo…

(I can’t get it to upload any larger)

I had this printed at around 2m long and mounted on foam board. I have it on my wall and it looks great.

Made in Liverpool? Well, the Liverbirds are unmistakable. :grin:

He was watching you on the other side…

I don’t think the Manfrotto panoramic head would allow to take spherical panos? Although there are some. Looking really ugly. Ok, you convinced me to order the Rogeti :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It was part of microsoft research. Not their main bussiness. If you want I can sent you the installer.

George

Three rows, together 33 pictures. Done with ICE.

George

1 Like

No, thank you very much for your offer, but the office PC is a tool, not a toy for app-tests. I prefer doing that at home and outside the M£ cosmos.

Nice, but except the (blurred?) railing on the left side no real challenge for any stitching app, no?

You must see it at real size.It’s to big for this forum. And yes, there’s a fault in the railing.Somebody touched the tripod. It was visible in the 34 bit edition, but not in this 64 edition. The railing was to close.

George

2 Likes

I have had bad experiences with railings in my few pano attempts so far. that being said however, I must confess that I do not have a true gimbal pano tripod mount either so the parallax demon is always going to bite me. And I am not steady enough to hang a coin off my lens and trying to pivot around it.

What happens if you retouch the railings before stitching?