Off-Topic - advice, experiences and examples, for images that will be processed in PhotoLab

The top photo doesn’t excite me. The bottom leads me right down the path, but there is nothing “there”. The middle photo stands on its own, and is beautiful, especially when I view it full-size. I’m guessing all the blurry stuff around the leaf is under the water, but then maybe some of it is reflections? If you were really standing literally over that leaf, weren’t you afraid of getting wet?

The larger I view the leaf, the better it looks. I also love the “ripples” that prove it is floating. Lovely!

Or you can read it that the autumn colour is approaching. The trick with landscape images like this is that the landscape itself is the subject and, printed big enough, you can hang it on the wall and your eyes can “go for a walk” around the image.

Nope, there is a little wooden footbridge over the stream with a rail to lean on.

Thank you. Inspiration then from one of those B&H talks. I might well print this to 24" x 16".

Here’s a couple from Helen from today’s outing…

Aha! I pictured you in boots, with the tripod getting wet.
Lovely capture!!!

I watched the first part of the B&H “talk” that you linked to, but so far I haven’t found it very inspiring, and far too long.

I’m usually pretty good at finding things that I want to photograph, but then it becomes a challenge of the better ways to do so. So many things I want to do, including shooting film again.

I’m wondering, since I have so many things turned off on my D780 and M10, maybe I should simplify and just use my Fuji X100F for a while. I can use the optical viewfinder like the Leica, then view the image to see how well my settings worked. Some parts of the USA have been seeing too many reports of people being “mugged” for their camera gear. I read another one this morning. I used to worry about that in India, but not at home…
https://abc7news.com/san-francisco-photography-robbery-photographers-not-visiting-photographer-assaulted-palace-of-fine-arts-attack/12453913/

Still miserable weather outside. I can’t even see Miami, across Biscayne Bay, as it’s all just “fog”.

I really enjoy this one, not only for the ripples in the water, but my inability to figure out what that is up near the top. Really really nice. I’m lost when I try to understand it, but that’s OK. It would look awesome as a huge print on the wall. Maybe don’t try to explain it - the mystery just adds to the photo!

Please Mike, don’t tell me you are serious about this. After all the work you have put in getting to grips with the best camera you own and starting to turn out better images than I can ever remember seeing from you?

Dear Lord. It’s only a fixed focal length (wide angle) APS-C camera. How on earth are you going to shoot anything further than 10 feet away and fill the frame?

I for one would refuse to comment on anything from that camera that you dare to post here.

Well, that’s what you get when screwy politicians defend the “right” to bear arms, to the point that you don’t even need a licence. I just read that there are about 1.2 guns per citizen - crazy. There is, however, a simple answer - make sure your memory card is empty from the previous shoot and, if they want your camera, give it to them and claim on your insurance. No equipment is worth getting shot trying to defend it. You’re hardly toting a full pro kit.

Don’t you dare Mike. No, seriously you are just getting to know your 780. As Joanna said. Producing some good pictures. The time to think about other cameras is when that 780 become second nature, like your Leica.

Let’s hope it doesn’t happen at all.

It was just a thought… I guess I’ll bury it, and continue on as before.

I never walk out the door without formatting my memory card. That, and checking the battery charge.

Agreed, I’ll forget about that idea. By the way, both my D780 and my M10 feel “second nature” now; all I need to deal with is exposure and focus - - - and most important, composition.

Agreed.

This is really off topic so here goes. I took the following pictures @ Lyme Regis in 2008 and I still don’t know what he is doing!

Any guesses?

It’s a long talk and the important parts are buried. One has to listen with an open mind.
It’s kind of a how-to, as soon as you switch off technical information and expectations.

1 Like

This is off-topic; I don’t feel like starting a new thread about it, unless it deserves one.

When I click on the parallel line tool, it usually allows me to make two vertical lines parallel.
For unknown reasons, it opened just now wanting to correct two horizontal lines.
There doesn’t seem to be any obvious way to tell the tool which I want to use. ???

In the mystery photo, the lower photo looks like he’s taking a phot of an antenna, or maybe measuring the signal strength?

Playing in the rain… I went out in the (slight) rain with my D780 tucked under my raincoat, looking for puddles, and reflections, and ways to capture images that on a dry day would not be possible. It was a short walk, and this is the only image that offered what I was looking for. It isn’t as it seems. The virtual horizon was useless, as I was deliberately doing otherwise. My only problem was that while editing it, I kept losing track of what was real, and what wasn’t. I wanted the fence posts to be vertical, my PL6 kept bringing up the tool to correct horizontal lines. I finally cheated to get it to do what I wanted.

The other photo I was about to post was of part of a Rolls Royce, but I gave up on it. The Rolls Royce factory created that shape, not my Nikon.

Maybe I’ll sell all my cameras other than the 780 and the M10. They’re just gathering dust. I don’t need an M10-P or M10-R, and I don’t want an M11.

Curious, do you believe Ken Rockwell when he writes this:
https://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm
I no longer think I’m getting nice photos because I’m using a (insert camera name here). I’m getting nicer photos than I used to because I’ve learned to “see” better. Mirrorless - schmearoliss. Doesn’t matter. I need to think about this some more. All the camera is, really, is a tool. Does it matter if I use a Sears ratchet driver, or one from Snap-On? @Joanna has proven it does matter, so what I just wrote might not really be accurate, or I’m using the wrong method to select what is “better” or “worser”. :slight_smile:

Rain Photo:
780_0089 | 2022-11-20.nef (28.5 MB)
780_0089 | 2022-11-20.nef.dop (14.3 KB)

It’s not “trick photography”, but it’s not what it seems to be.

D780 in manual mode, trying to get the camera to do what I wanted it to do…

Revised, after thinking about this for a few hours…

780_0089 | 2022-11-20.nef.dop (29.2 KB)

Thinking about Helen’s image is part of what led me to creating the B&W image I just posted. I’m sure even though I can’t figure out what it was that Helen was shooting at, the mystery added to the image, and that led me to some ideas of my own as I was walking around. I doubt people will figure out my image, just as I am unlikely to figure out Helen’s image. I’m sure Helen’s image is “real” and I know for a fact that my image is “real”, but just like I have no idea what Helen’s image was really of, I think most people will mis-understand the image I just posted - until something “clicks” and they realize what I did.

If there was oil in the water, that might explain Helen’s strange colors and patterns, but it looks like “something” that is extending out of the water a little, so the water is running over it. The leaves prove it is real, I think. …but I don’t even know for sure they are really leaves.

He’s taking a picture.

George

My guess is that the rod is a water divining or dowsing rod and that he is calibrating it. But since I would say that the sea is behind him, the rod is definitely faulty :rofl: