Non destructive workflow in NIK3

Hi there,

I am not sure if its me, or something maybe not working. Thats how I understood the new non destructive workflow.

1. I export a RAW file from PL3 to lets say Viveza2.
  2. I do some edits, with several control points and save with a check mark in the box for further processing.
  3. Than I send it from PL3 picture browser to Color Efex Pro 4, without developing the export.
  4. In CEP4 again some edits with control points and save with a check mark in the box for further processing.
  5. Than the same again from PL3 to Viveza2 without developing the export.

Now the question. should the control points I made before still be there? Because the aren’t.
And does that mean if it should be like this, the non destructive workflow only works with in the same plug?
Thanks

I just did a brief experiment and that appears to be the case.

Mark

1 Like

Thanks Mark for verifying. In fact when you read the manual, https://help-nikcollection3.dxo.com/non-destructive-workflow, at least for me, its not really clear, how it is described there. Under “Modifying the processing”, point 5.

I could be missing something but it appears the main value of this new feature is if you return to the same Nik plug-in multiple times in succession. If you go from plugin to plugin with the same file I’m not certain the new version works differently than before. An end to end workflow description using PhotoLab and multiple Nik plug-ins for the same image would be useful.

Mark

1 Like

Those plugins are not plugins: they’re standalone programs called from another program with a file parameter pointing to a disk file. They work on that file with their own tools. When they’re saved in a certain parametric way, those parameters refer only to their tools so they can only be used within that certain program.
In this case every program creates a file existing out of 2 images, the starting file and the result file, and a parameter list. The undo/redo is only possible within that block. I’m not sure if I can see an usability for that.
See the Viewpoint tool. Within PL it acts like any function in PL. When used as a Nik tool it creates an own block. What is the use of that? Except for the sale to non PL owners.

George

Thanks, I’m well aware of that. I only called them that because @KameraD use the word plug in hie first post so I was trying to be consistent. in my response to him.

Mark

Not my idea to call them plugins. Look here https://help-nikcollection3.dxo.com/non-destructive-workflow and do a search for the word “plugin”. :wink:
And agree, also know they are none.

I guess that settles that. :slight_smile: DXO calls them plug-ins even though they are obviously separate standalone programs to which files are passed.

Mark

The parametric savings are only usable within the program it’s coming from. The transfer to another program is done via a tif file, that is a RGB raster file or bitmap. A next program doesn’t know what the former program did and will build its own parametric world :grinning:
A few thoughts.
Parametric savings are program related.
If you create a chain of program1,program2,program3 and you want to change the editing in program2 you will lose the logical connection with program3. Just like in a history list.
Every step will start with a new tif file, being the output of the former.

George

Non destructive workflow in Lightroom is one thing. But in Photoshop, the NIK filters could be applied to a “Smart Object” since quite a long time ago. That is the perfect solution in Photoshop, and totally non-destructive. I repeat, in Lightroom it is another thing, but I always apply NIK filters from Photoshop, even if I am starting from Lightroom.